Windows 10: Master Browser Observation

Discus and support Master Browser Observation in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; To start, this is an observation, not a recommendation. Once upon a time my home LAN was 100% XP and it performed flawlessly. Times change and now I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JackHughs, Apr 1, 2020.

1. JackHughs Win User

Master Browser Observation

To start, this is an observation, not a recommendation.

Once upon a time my home LAN was 100% XP and it performed flawlessly. Times change and now I have only 3 Windows 10 machines on the LAN and, like others, I've experienced LAN problems following Windows 10 upgrades.

About two months ago, I reconnected one of the XP machines to the LAN (a vulnerability, to be sure). This machine is used as a dedicated data-logger and operates 24-7. Somewhat to my surprise, the Windows 10 machines elected the XP machine to serve as Master Browser. As XP is not supported, this machine is never updated - nothing ever changes in the OS.

Since then, the LAN has not been affected by MS upgrades to the Windows 10 machines.

Again, this is just an observation on the workings of the Master Browser. I do not recommend connecting an unsupported XP machine to your LAN.

:)

JackHughs, Apr 1, 2020
  2. JackHughs Win User

To start, this is an observation, not a recommendation.

Once upon a time my home LAN was 100% XP and it performed flawlessly. Times change and now I have only 3 Windows 10 machines on the LAN and, like others, I've experienced LAN problems following Windows 10 upgrades.

About two months ago, I reconnected one of the XP machines to the LAN (a vulnerability, to be sure). This machine is used as a dedicated data-logger and operates 24-7. Somewhat to my surprise, the Windows 10 machines elected the XP machine to serve as Master Browser. As XP is not supported, this machine is never updated - nothing ever changes in the OS.

Since then, the LAN has not been affected by MS upgrades to the Windows 10 machines.

Again, this is just an observation on the workings of the Master Browser. I do not recommend connecting an unsupported XP machine to your LAN.

JackHughs, May 25, 2020
  3. rhstubby Win User
    Master Browser question

I'm experiencing similar problems on my main computer. Using NetBScanner.exe I see the Master Browser on another computer but never see my own computer show up in the Master Browser list by ID or MAC address. It's almost as if it is hidden from my router and network. I'm not sure where or how to troubleshoot this sort of issue. Any suggestions? Tired, Retired but Retreaded ready to use my head (GRIN).

rhstubby, May 25, 2020
  4. JackHughs Win User

Master Browser Timing

The more time I spend on the Board, the more I believe that a number of recurring discovery problems may be just the unhappy side effects of the proper operation of a Master Browser in a Workgroup.

So, do I have this right?

1. All the computers in a Workgroup pass information among themselves to determine which computer will serve as the Master Browser. This election process takes very little time.

2. The Master Browser accumulates and maintains a "browse list" of all computers (and other IP devices) in the Workgroup.

3. Every device in the browse list reports back the Master Browser at 12 minute intervals.

4. If a given computer (e.g. Brutus) is switched off and does not report back for three consecutive intervals (36 minutes), Brutus is removed from the browse list.

5. The Master Browser sends the refreshed browse list to all Workgroup computers every 15 minutes.

6. Therefore, it could take up to 51 minutes for other Workgroup computers to be notified that Brutus has left the Workgroup. In the meantime, the other Workgroup computers report to their respective users that Brutus is still connected. However, their users will not be able to access Brutus and may suspect an error of some sort.

7. When Brutus is again switched on, Brutus reports to the Master Browser immediately but it can take up to 15 minutes for the Master Browser to notify the Workgroup the Brutus has rejoined.

Again, is this reasonably correct?

JackHughs, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Master Browser Observation - Similar Threads - Master Browser Observation

2. Master Browser Timing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Master Browser Timing: The more time I spend on the Board, the more I believe that a number of recurring discovery problems may be just the unhappy side effects of the proper operation of a Master Browser in a Workgroup. So, do I have this right? 1. All the computers in a Workgroup pass...
  3. Master Browser - which system on a LAN, how to configure?

Master Browser - which system on a LAN, how to configure?: After reading innumerable threads in this forum as to why someone's home LAN is not working as expected, I have learned about the "master browser" that manages the connections between systems in a workgroup network. In all the years I have worked with Windows, workgroup...
  4. Master Browser question

Master Browser question: I have 3 computers all connected to ports on my gateway via ethernet cables. All three are running Windows 10 Version 1809 with yesterday's updates.. Desktop#1 is the Master browser (verified using the nbtstat -n command). Desktop#1 lists all three computer names under...
  5. E-SATA Observations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    E-SATA Observations: Ok I think this is some valuable information that needs to be out there. As this is what I encountered with my machine. I don't know if all machines will do the same but this is what happened for me. Just my 2 cents worth.. *Smile A while ago there was a discussion...
  6. Registry Hack to DISABLE Master Browser

Registry Hack to DISABLE Master Browser: I'm sick and tired of loosing network sharing browsing. I have seven wired Win10 machines on my network that are not always on. I want to disable the master browser on all my machines but one or two that are always on... There are a few sites showing a reg hack but the exact...
  7. 1703 - Master Browser/SMB Broke Again?

1703 - Master Browser/SMB Broke Again?: Hi folks. I see quite a few posts around regarding issues with Homegroups and Network Sharing. It appears to me that SMB is broken again in Creators Update 1703. I have 3 of 4 tems on 1703, the other is on 1607. What I see is that if any of the 1703 tems is the first...
  8. Observation.

in Windows 10 Support
    Observation.: *Kill Hi all. i am not sure about your good selves,however, for my part I dread microsoft updates arriving! Having started back in the days of DOS and gradually progessed via the Microsoft chain of dross via W97,W97 second edition,good old XP, Vista, wonderful Windows 7,...
  9. Interesting Observation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Interesting Observation: I reserved a copy of Win10 Upgrade for a Win8.1 Pro and on 7/30/15 files were downloaded but I delayed installing. Today I started it from the GWX icon in the Notification Area but to my surprise the $Windows.~BT Folder dated 7/30/15 [with files of 7/30/15] was gone and the...
  10. More observations

in Windows 10 Support
    More observations: Just installed 10049 and it only took 3 hours or so. It seems better than 10041 thus far. The only way to get this update was by joining the FAST ring. The biggie for me is that it installed the Hi Def Audio for the chipset (OK - I forgot to disable onboard *Sad first). It...