Windows 10: Master Browser Timing

Discus and support Master Browser Timing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The more time I spend on the Board, the more I believe that a number of recurring discovery problems may be just the unhappy side effects of the proper... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JackHughs, Mar 16, 2020.

1. JackHughs Win User

Master Browser Timing

The more time I spend on the Board, the more I believe that a number of recurring discovery problems may be just the unhappy side effects of the proper operation of a Master Browser in a Workgroup.

So, do I have this right?

1. All the computers in a Workgroup pass information among themselves to determine which computer will serve as the Master Browser. This election process takes very little time.

2. The Master Browser accumulates and maintains a "browse list" of all computers (and other IP devices) in the Workgroup.

3. Every device in the browse list reports back the Master Browser at 12 minute intervals.

4. If a given computer (e.g. Brutus) is switched off and does not report back for three consecutive intervals (36 minutes), Brutus is removed from the browse list.

5. The Master Browser sends the refreshed browse list to all Workgroup computers every 15 minutes.

6. Therefore, it could take up to 51 minutes for other Workgroup computers to be notified that Brutus has left the Workgroup. In the meantime, the other Workgroup computers report to their respective users that Brutus is still connected. However, their users will not be able to access Brutus and may suspect an error of some sort.

7. When Brutus is again switched on, Brutus reports to the Master Browser immediately but it can take up to 15 minutes for the Master Browser to notify the Workgroup the Brutus has rejoined.

Again, is this reasonably correct?

:)

JackHughs, Mar 16, 2020
  2. rhstubby Win User

Master Browser question

I'm experiencing similar problems on my main computer. Using NetBScanner.exe I see the Master Browser on another computer but never see my own computer show up in the Master Browser list by ID or MAC address. It's almost as if it is hidden from my router and network. I'm not sure where or how to troubleshoot this sort of issue. Any suggestions? Tired, Retired but Retreaded ready to use my head (GRIN).

rhstubby, Mar 16, 2020
  3. JMX
    jmx Win User
    Master Browser question

I have 3 computers all connected to ports on my gateway via ethernet cables.
    All three are running Windows 10 Version 1809 with yesterday's updates..

Desktop#1 is the Master browser (verified using the nbtstat -n command).

Desktop#1 lists all three computer names under Network on File Explorer.

Desktop#2 and Desktop#3 do not list any computer names under Network on File Explorer no matter how long I wait.

From other posts, I thought that the Master Browser computer maintained a list of computer names and somehow transmitted the list to the other computers. It does not seem to be happening for me.

This is not critical since I can add network locations via This PC.

But any insight you could provide concerning the operation of the Master browser would be appreciated.

4. rhstubby Win User

Master Browser Timing

Master Browser question

I do wait for NetBscanner to display my computer by ID but it never shows up at all in the list. My computer is a Lenovo and should show up as .....15 on the list but it is absent.

Master Browser Timing [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

I am not able to find other computers on my private network. I can only find Marys_Tiger the one listed above which has been assigned the Master Browser. All other computers seem to not appear on my network. All have been assigned the same WORKGROUP name etc. I'm struggling to understand why they do not appear. I suspect a firewall or assignment issue of some sort which may be a pre-requisite for membership (on the network) and 'voting' for who is the Master Browser.

rhstubby, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

Master Browser Timing

1. Master Browser Timing - Similar Threads - Master Browser Timing

2. Why do web browsers work with NTFS Master File Table?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do web browsers work with NTFS Master File Table?: Hi,I noticed in Resource Monitor/DISKthat web browsers enjoy working with NTFS Master File Table.I would like to understand why, what for?Regards Matjung...
  3. Why do web browsers work with NTFS Master File Table?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do web browsers work with NTFS Master File Table?: Hi,I noticed in Resource Monitor/DISKthat web browsers enjoy working with NTFS Master File Table.I would like to understand why, what for?Regards Matjung...
  4. How to move Master Browser from Router to a network computer ?

How to move Master Browser from Router to a network computer ?: I managed to force my Asus Router to be the Master Browser by turning everything off and then turning on the router first , followed by other computers in the network .This is OK by me because the Router is up 24/7 . If I want one of the network computers to become the Master...
  5. Master Browser Observation

Master Browser Observation: To start, this is an observation, not a recommendation. Once upon a time my home LAN was 100% XP and it performed flawlessly. Times change and now I have only 3 Windows 10 machines on the LAN and, like others, I've experienced LAN problems following Windows 10 upgrades....
  6. Master Browser - which system on a LAN, how to configure?

Master Browser - which system on a LAN, how to configure?: After reading innumerable threads in this forum as to why someone's home LAN is not working as expected, I have learned about the "master browser" that manages the connections between systems in a workgroup network. In all the years I have worked with Windows, workgroup...
  7. Master Browser question

Master Browser question: I have 3 computers all connected to ports on my gateway via ethernet cables. All three are running Windows 10 Version 1809 with yesterday's updates.. Desktop#1 is the Master browser (verified using the nbtstat -n command). Desktop#1 lists all three computer names under...
  8. Registry Hack to DISABLE Master Browser

Registry Hack to DISABLE Master Browser: I'm sick and tired of loosing network sharing browsing. I have seven wired Win10 machines on my network that are not always on. I want to disable the master browser on all my machines but one or two that are always on... There are a few sites showing a reg hack but the exact...
  9. 1703 - Master Browser/SMB Broke Again?

1703 - Master Browser/SMB Broke Again?: Hi folks. I see quite a few posts around regarding issues with Homegroups and Network Sharing. It appears to me that SMB is broken again in Creators Update 1703. I have 3 of 4 tems on 1703, the other is on 1607. What I see is that if any of the 1703 tems is the first...
  10. Master Browser Issues fixed in latest W10 update (KB3140743)

Master Browser Issues fixed in latest W10 update (KB3140743): It looks to me as if the Network connectivity issues have been fixed in this latest cumulative update. I can see all my W10 PCs on the network from whichever device I use. Previously this was only possible via the PC that was designated as the Master Browser. 42655