Windows 10: Master Browser - which system on a LAN, how to configure?

Discus and support Master Browser - which system on a LAN, how to configure? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After reading innumerable threads in this forum as to why someone's home LAN is not working as expected, I have learned about the "master browser" that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by x509, Oct 5, 2019.

1. x509 Win User

Master Browser - which system on a LAN, how to configure?

After reading innumerable threads in this forum as to why someone's home LAN is not working as expected, I have learned about the "master browser" that manages the connections between systems in a workgroup network. In all the years I have worked with Windows, workgroup networking causes me the most issues.*Banghead

I was wondering if issues with the master browser configuration, etc, are the root cause of many people's issues, including mine. So I have these questions. *Biggrin
    • How do I identify the system that is currently running the master browser?
    • When a new system joins the LAN, or is rebooted, how can I be sure that the master browser knows about that machine?
    • If the system running the master browser is rebooted, what happens with the master browser?
    • If the system running the master browser goes offline, what happens with the master browser?
    • Are there any utilities or cmd-box commands to manage the master browser?

:)

x509, Oct 5, 2019
  2. Solaris17 Win User

is there any demand for a system configurator?

Processor(V) <--drop down arrow
    -AMD(V)
    --Socket(V)
    ---AM2(V)
    ----List of cpu's
    ---939(V)
    ----List of CPU's
    -Intel(V)
    --Socket(V)
    ---775(V)
    ----List of cpu's
    ---771(V)
    ----List of CPU's

etc etc.

Solaris17, Oct 5, 2019
  3. JMX
    jmx Win User
    Master Browser question

I have 3 computers all connected to ports on my gateway via ethernet cables.
    All three are running Windows 10 Version 1809 with yesterday's updates..

Desktop#1 is the Master browser (verified using the nbtstat -n command).

Desktop#1 lists all three computer names under Network on File Explorer.

Desktop#2 and Desktop#3 do not list any computer names under Network on File Explorer no matter how long I wait.

From other posts, I thought that the Master Browser computer maintained a list of computer names and somehow transmitted the list to the other computers. It does not seem to be happening for me.

This is not critical since I can add network locations via This PC.

But any insight you could provide concerning the operation of the Master browser would be appreciated.

4. newtekie1 Win User

Good LAN party games?

Most of my suggestions have already been listed.

However, I found Swat4 to actually be a pretty fun LAN game, especially at smaller LAN parties.

newtekie1, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Master Browser - which system on a LAN, how to configure? - Similar Threads - Master Browser system

2. System configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System configuration: My pc is having a slow boot up, its not to bad but i did have it going faster before as i resetted some configuration services, here are some screenshots, let me know if things are fine or something needs to be changed?...
  3. How to move Master Browser from Router to a network computer ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move Master Browser from Router to a network computer ?: I managed to force my Asus Router to be the Master Browser by turning everything off and then turning on the router first , followed by other computers in the network .This is OK by me because the Router is up 24/7 . If I want one of the network computers to become the Master...
  4. Master Browser Observation

Master Browser Observation: To start, this is an observation, not a recommendation. Once upon a time my home LAN was 100% XP and it performed flawlessly. Times change and now I have only 3 Windows 10 machines on the LAN and, like others, I've experienced LAN problems following Windows 10 upgrades....
  5. Master Browser Timing

Master Browser Timing: The more time I spend on the Board, the more I believe that a number of recurring discovery problems may be just the unhappy side effects of the proper operation of a Master Browser in a Workgroup. So, do I have this right? 1. All the computers in a Workgroup pass...
  6. System configuration

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System configuration: In system configuration it wont let me take normal startup, everytime select normal startup and apply and click ok and restart pc it will just revert back to selective start up, it reverts back even without restarting pc, I've tried reading on internet but can't seem to fix...
  7. Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Wake On Lan not working?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Wake On Lan not working?: Hello I hope you can help me, I am trying to get WOL (Wake On Lan) to work using Unified Remote but cannot seemto get it working. I have tried turning on WOL in the bios, enableing it in device manager, making sure ErP is off so the PC can WOL, making sure MAC addresses are...
  8. System configuration

in Windows 10 Customization
    System configuration: I have been using Excel files over the last few weeks and again today with no issues however today when I went to go back into files that I had been working on earlier an error box popped up saying "Error The operating system is not currently configured to run this...
  9. Master Browser question

Master Browser question: I have 3 computers all connected to ports on my gateway via ethernet cables. All three are running Windows 10 Version 1809 with yesterday's updates.. Desktop#1 is the Master browser (verified using the nbtstat -n command). Desktop#1 lists all three computer names under...
  10. Registry Hack to DISABLE Master Browser

Registry Hack to DISABLE Master Browser: I'm sick and tired of loosing network sharing browsing. I have seven wired Win10 machines on my network that are not always on. I want to disable the master browser on all my machines but one or two that are always on... There are a few sites showing a reg hack but the exact...