Windows 10: Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed

Discus and support Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. Is there any relation to access speed and $MFT size? I am wondering because when you have one big partition only (C drive) the $MFT can grow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by eLPuSHeR, Jun 18, 2020.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed

Hello.

Is there any relation to access speed and $MFT size?

I am wondering because when you have one big partition only (C drive) the $MFT can grow pretty huge.

I have seen $MFT sizes ranging from 600 to 1000MB in size. Is the $MFT loaded all the time in memory?

Does its size affects speed? If so, is there any way to shrink it (GPT Partition style)?

:)

eLPuSHeR, Jun 18, 2020

2. The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

CHKDSK C: reports the following:

The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.

Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

After running CHKDSK C: /scan I ran CHKDSK C: again and got the same result as above.

It seems CHKDSK cannot resolve the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute error.

How do I fix the MFT bitmap error?

James Mannion, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Master file table (MFT) usage at 100%

No need to worry, system tries to keep a free space just after MFT - so called MFT zone - to keep MFT non-fragmented if there will be needed to increase it size. In addition, small MFT fragmentation does not have noticeable negative effect.

Igor Leyko, Jun 18, 2020
  4. Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed

Master file table (MFT) usage at 100%

Hi,

MFT zone has nothing related with MFT size.

Please, describe your problem with more details.

Igor Leyko, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed

1. Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed - Similar Threads - Master File Table

2. A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C, The Master File Table...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C, The Master File Table...: A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C:.The Master File Table MFT contains a corrupted file record. The file reference number is 0x10000000238a8. The name of the file is...
  3. A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C, The Master File Table...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C, The Master File Table...: A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C:.The Master File Table MFT contains a corrupted file record. The file reference number is 0x10000000238a8. The name of the file is...
  4. Windows loading slowly - C:\@MsftNTFS Master File Table

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows loading slowly - C:\@MsftNTFS Master File Table: Hello, My computer is showing 100% disk usage. C:\@MsftNTFS Master File Table is shown in task manager - resource managers. It is at 100% It then subsides after about 5 minutes. Any ideas what is going on? Windows 10 Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042 Thanks, V...
  5. The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is...: I need help, every time I open my laptop up, it keeps on scanning and fixing for drive C: but it doesn't really fix it. I tried running chkdsk on cmd manually and it shows this Texts: The master file table's MFT BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect....
  6. C:\$Mft NTFS Master File Table Making the HD spin

C:\$Mft NTFS Master File Table Making the HD spin: Hello, Occasionally, I will turn on my computer and it takes a very long time for anything to work. Check performance monitor and C:\$Mft NTFS Master File Table and there are may processes like this one: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows...
  7. c:\$Mft NTFS Master File Table and c:\$LogFile - sustained high Write B/sec for 20 to 30...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    c:\$Mft NTFS Master File Table and c:\$LogFile - sustained high Write B/sec for 20 to 30...: Ever since my Windows 10 Pro upgraded to version 1903 in August last year, it has suffered from lock-up / pregnant pauses of 20 - 30 seconds, seven to ten times per day. It continued to do this with version 1909 currently OS Build 18363.778. My workstation has reasonably...
  8. Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.: I get this error message when I try to fix a hard drive that have not accessible problem with CHKDSK Command anyone have a solution C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk H: /F The type of file system is NTFS. Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file...
  9. The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.: CHKDSK C: reports the following: The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows has checked the file system and found problems. Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair. After running...
  10. Help with TestDisk, fixing master file table

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with TestDisk, fixing master file table: My laptop crashed last week and it seems to have messed up the hard drive. Chkdsk says the master file table is corrupted and Windows couldn't recover it, so I wanted to try using TestDisk to repair it since I've read other people have had success with that. But when I go to...