Windows 10: Match VB6 development environment to colleague

Discus and support Match VB6 development environment to colleague in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to match my VB6 environment to a colleague's environment. In a particular project he shows the control "Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jeff Jacobs JJacobs, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Match VB6 development environment to colleague

I am trying to match my VB6 environment to a colleague's environment. In a particular project he shows the control "Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0 SP6". On my PC I show the control "Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0". I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the SP6 version of this control. I have installed these upgrades VisualBasic6-KB896559-v1-ENU.exe, VB60SP6-KB2708437-x86-ENU.msi, VB60SP6-KB3096896-x86-ENU.msi. None of these upgrades include "Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0 SP6". Can someone direct me to what is needed to get this control. Thanks in advance. The version of VB6 I have is Visual Basic 6.0 SP6. The serial number is 50021881730646223667. If this is not the right place to ask this question, please direct me.

:)

Jeff Jacobs JJacobs, Apr 15, 2021

2. VB6 on Win10

Hello All,

I have an EXE which was written in VB6 edition. It uses a "Comm Port" and lists all the available COMM ports of the system in a drop down. This EXE works well on Win7 and Win8.

But, when we use this EXE (developed in VB6) on Win10 OS, then dropdown containing the list of COMM ports is empty (even if the computer has few COMM ports available).

We have another EXE developed in VB2010 edition. This EXE lists all the COMM ports in a dropdown on: Win7, Win8 and Win10.

But, an EXE developed in VB6 doesn't work on Win10.

My expectation:

1. Can we "somehow" make an EXE (written in VB6) to list all available COMM ports on Win10 OS?

2. If above is not possible, then what is an alternate solution for it?

~

Heramb Phadke, Apr 15, 2021
  3. thanhtan Win User
    VB6 or VB.Net?

This describes some of the many differences between VB6 and VB.NET. Much of the current VB6 code base will not run under VB.NET due to changes in VB.NET's syntax and language, its use of the new common runtime, and its switch to WinForms from the VB6 form model.

Visual Basic.NET includes an upgrade tool to assist in converting VB6 projects to .NET. The tool adds an upgrade report to your project listing any problems and inserts comments into your code and To Do items into the new Task List indicating where additional changes need to be made.

However, understanding the following changes can help simplify migrating your existing VB6 code. For further information on this topic, visit Microsoft's web site.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Electronics maze

thanhtan, Apr 15, 2021
  4. XHan-) Win User

Match VB6 development environment to colleague

Why vb6 application doesn't work after making exe ??

I am developing vb6 application with visual basic 6.0

In visual basic development environment, application run exactly.

I made exe using 'make a exe...' of
    file menu.

but compiled exe doesn't work exactly.

Help me.

Urgent----.

XHan-), Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Match VB6 development environment to colleague

1. Match VB6 development environment to colleague - Similar Threads - Match VB6 development

2. VB6 isntallation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VB6 isntallation: Unfortunately, we still have applications in VB6. In order to upgrade them we need to re-write the entire app.We have a license for VB6 but we need the installation.From where we can download it?...
  3. VB6 isntallation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VB6 isntallation: Unfortunately, we still have applications in VB6. In order to upgrade them we need to re-write the entire app.We have a license for VB6 but we need the installation.From where we can download it?...
  4. Will VB6 run in Lunix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will VB6 run in Lunix: VB 6 wont install on W11, Will VB6 run in Lunix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-vb6-run-in-lunix/82975e36-5daf-4539-9234-88ed8b4215bd
  5. Will VB6 run in Lunix

Will VB6 run in Lunix: VB 6 wont install on W11, Will VB6 run in Lunix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-vb6-run-in-lunix/82975e36-5daf-4539-9234-88ed8b4215bd
  6. Visual Studio Code now the default development environment at Facebook

in Windows 10 News
    Visual Studio Code now the default development environment at Facebook: [ATTACH] We’re making Visual Studio Code the default development environment at Facebook and teaming with Microsoft to help enhance their remote development extensions in an effort to enable engineers to do remote development at scale. History Facebook engineers have...
  7. Account doesn't match sandbox environment

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Account doesn't match sandbox environment: Hi All, My xbox and game pass apps have all stopped working due to the sandbox error, does anyone know how to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/account-doesnt-match-sandbox-environment/bfe74072-826c-4435-b2ff-9e26083420cf"
  8. Windows 10 development environment unavailable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 development environment unavailable: Hello team, I have been trying to download Windows 10 VM for few days right now from the following link: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines it keep getting the following message: The Windows 10 Virtual Machines for developers are...
  9. VB6 on Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    VB6 on Win10: Hello All, I have an EXE which was written in VB6 edition. It uses a "Comm Port" and lists all the available COMM ports of the system in a drop down. This EXE works well on Win7 and Win8. But, when we use this EXE (developed in VB6) on Win10 OS, then dropdown containing...
  10. Old VB6 App

Old VB6 App: Hi, I'm hoping I can get some suggestions for these small problems I and a few others are having with an old VB6 application which is not working properly under Win10. The vast majority of this program is working fine, just 2 (so far!) small functions are not working. 1....