Windows 10: matching wildcards in dir

Discus and support matching wildcards in dir in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In a folder I have several files starting with test, like test00, test0000, test1.txt, test1111, test 01.txt If I do a dir test0* I expect to get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RonNewYork, Oct 9, 2017.

1. matching wildcards in dir

In a folder I have several files starting with test, like test00, test0000, test1.txt, test1111, test 01.txt

If I do a dir test0*

I expect to get all files which match test0* like test00 and test0000 but I also get test 01.txt and I'm not sure why. I mean "test 01.txt" to my thinking should not match test0*, right? wrong?

I've been programming and using Windows since NT so now I feel kind of stupid.

Or not??

RON

:)

RonNewYork, Oct 9, 2017

2. Results of a filename search giving unrelated results along with correct results

The 8.3 file name probably contains the string "0288". You can find out with this Console command:

dir /x 0857*.*

Please post the exact location of these files if you need more detailed instructions.

Frederik Long, Oct 9, 2017
  3. Can't delete .exe file - "Could not find this item","This is no longer located in C:\Users\Owner\Downloads." "Verify the item's location and try again."

I solved this problem by using the DEL command with a wildcard *

Open a command window and run as administrator. Navigate to the location of the offending file

Example:

Where test. is the problem file

c:\Users\test\AppData\Local\Temp\

at the prompt type DEL and then the file name followed by the wildcard

DEL test*

and return

All files with the name test and any extension, (including none) will be deleted

type DIR to verify the file has been deleted.

You can now delete any folder structure that remains

DMcDonaldCA, Oct 9, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

matching wildcards in dir

For me dir works as expected in powershell but not cmd.

cmd ignores the space in the filename (but not in the comparator eg dir "d:\temp\test "*)

Code: Windows PowerShell Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dir d:\temp Directory: D:\temp Mode LastWriteTime Length Name ---- ------------- ------ ---- -a---- 10-Oct-17 22:09 6 test 0.txt -a---- 10-Oct-17 22:24 0 test 2.txt -a---- 10-Oct-17 22:04 6 test0.txt -a---- 10-Oct-17 22:04 6 test01.txt -a---- 10-Oct-17 22:24 0 test2.txt PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dir d:\temp\test0* Directory: D:\temp Mode LastWriteTime Length Name ---- ------------- ------ ---- -a---- 10-Oct-17 22:04 6 test0.txt -a---- 10-Oct-17 22:04 6 test01.txt PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> cmd Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.15] (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir d:\temp\test0* Volume in drive D has no label. Volume Serial Number is 646D-8050 Directory of d:\temp 10-Oct-17 22:04 6 test0.txt 10-Oct-17 22:04 6 test01.txt 10-Oct-17 22:09 6 test 0.txt 3 File(s) 18 bytes 0 Dir(s) 30,857,822,208 bytes free C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir "d:\temp\test "* Volume in drive D has no label. Volume Serial Number is 646D-8050 Directory of d:\temp 10-Oct-17 22:09 6 test 0.txt 10-Oct-17 22:24 0 test 2.txt 2 File(s) 6 bytes 0 Dir(s) 30,857,822,208 bytes free C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir "d:\temp\test0"* Volume in drive D has no label. Volume Serial Number is 646D-8050 Directory of d:\temp 10-Oct-17 22:04 6 test0.txt 10-Oct-17 22:04 6 test01.txt 10-Oct-17 22:09 6 test 0.txt 3 File(s) 18 bytes 0 Dir(s) 30,857,822,208 bytes free[/quote] Not sure of the solution (except to use powershell)

lx07, Oct 9, 2017
  5. THANKS! That "cleared" it up. I mean, it is something for some reason I never knew. Unfortunately this is not being run in either CMD or Powershell but in .NET/C#.

It's not a problem in my code, I was just surprised.

Well, it could be a problem for users who expect one thing and get another. If so I'll show them your explanation.

RON

RonNewYork, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

matching wildcards in dir

1. matching wildcards in dir - Similar Threads - matching wildcards dir

2. DIR Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DIR Command: dir /A:D /B /S > FolderList.txt produces a list of all directories and subdirectories of a directory. I would like to modify this line to have the date included for all directories and subdirectories of a directory too....
  3. DIR Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DIR Command: dir /A:D /B /S > FolderList.txt produces a list of all directories and subdirectories of a directory. I would like to modify this line to have the date included for all directories and subdirectories of a directory too....
  4. Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?: I'm trying to replace in a TXT files lines of the form: [email protected]com or [email protected] with @xyz.com or @xyz.org I can't seem to find the right combination of wildcards and other settings in Word 2013. Either nothing gets replaced, or I thousands of replacements...
  5. Is there a wildcard for the year within a date search?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a wildcard for the year within a date search?: Hello I would like to search for all my photos taken on a specific day, regardless of year e.g. return all photos taken on the 25 December of any year. I am trying to do this with the datetaken property but I can't figure out the wildcard for the year. I have tried:...
  6. Wildcard for website blocking?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Wildcard for website blocking?: I am trying to block a gaming website using the Microsoft Family Safety "Web Browsing" feature, but it doesn't seem to be accepting a wildcard so that I can block all subdomains of the website, of which there are many. If I enter a specific subdomain it works fine, but...
  7. DIR commands

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DIR commands: So recently I used the DIR commands to be able to see hidden and Invisible files, is there any way to revert this? submitted by /u/Creeper_King_558 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/inyfq2/dir_commands/
  8. Qualified Path Wildcard?

in Windows 10 Support
    Qualified Path Wildcard?: Microsoft Windows Version 10.0.18363.836 1909 Pro Administrator: Admin cmd C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2005.5-0\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate Signature update started . . . Signature update finished. C:\>"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows...
  9. Wildcard Selection in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wildcard Selection in Explorer: Is there an app or program that allows wildcard selection of items in explorer before a copy/cut/ action? Right click or menu bar or both. Alternatively, does anyone recommend a good shell extension coder that can help? I found code for a context menu wild card selection...
  10. dir Difficulties

in Windows 10 Support
    dir Difficulties: I am seeking to sort files with dir. Creation date and time is my most primary interest. This has been my primary guide. MS-DOS dir command help I have tried a number of these commands in Powershell and Admin Powershell The simple one element wild card ones work okay. Ex...