Windows 10: Max Processor State in Power Management to reduce Laptop Heating

Discus and support Max Processor State in Power Management to reduce Laptop Heating in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a brand new HP Omen with Windows 10 coupled with an Intel Core i5 9300H and 8GB RAM. It is heating when I play CPU intensive games and when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Aakash Baskar, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Max Processor State in Power Management to reduce Laptop Heating

I have a brand new HP Omen with Windows 10 coupled with an Intel Core i5 9300H and 8GB RAM. It is heating when I play CPU intensive games and when I check for suggestions in the Microsoft Community, I got to know that reducing the Max Processor State in the Advanced Power Options reduces the Heat caused by the laptops. I had just set mine to 97% while plugged in and 90% while on battery and the heating is comparatively lesser by at least 7°-10° Celsius.

However, it wasn't clear enough for me, wherein if I reduce the Max Processor state from the default 100%, will it affect the Life of my Laptop and/or its Components in the Long-Term?

:)

Aakash Baskar, Jun 19, 2020
  2. bobblub Win User

Processor Power Management isn't there

Hello! I have a laptop and i find that the fan is constantly on, and the sound is unbearably loud. I checked various YouTube tutorials and some suggested reducing the CPU's power consumption percentage in the processor power management area (after clicking
    advanced power settings). When I click advanced power settings, there is no section titled processor power management. is there a way to reduce the CPU's power consumption percentage, and why cant I find the processor power management section?

Thanks in advance Max Processor State in Power Management to reduce Laptop Heating :)

bobblub, Jun 19, 2020
  3. processor power management optimization

ive been playing around with the processor power management options for quite a while already since i noticed that my old notebook's cpu (i7-720qm) struggles with running on full power (mainly due to heat i assume).

i already managed to optimize performance quite noticeably, but some of the settings are not fully clear to me resp. their default settings are quite confusing, even contradicting to their descriptions.

so if there is somebody familiar with processor power management - ie. idle and performance states and their respective settings, some explanations and recommendations would be highly appreciated.

my main aim is to make the cpu run on as few cores/threads possible, clocked as high as possible, before unparking additional cores/threads. ie. to be highly responsive for just a few tasks rather than manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and not getting
    throttled because too many threads get unparked although just a few - but clocked high - would manage it better. mainly because most of my tasks much more require few but high clocked threads than more parallel processing.

here are the settings i have set currently:

processor performance increase threshold - 30%

processor performance core parking min cores - 13%

processor performance decrease threshold - 20%

processor performance core parking concurrency threshold - 95%

processor energy performance preference policy - 20%

allow throttle states - off

processor performance decrease policy - ideal

processor performance core parking parked performance state - no preference

processor performance boost policy - 100%

processor performance increase policy ideal - aggressive

processor idle demote threshold - 30%

processor performance core parking distribution threshold - 90%

processor duty cycling - disabled

processor idle disable enable - idle

processor performance core parking decrease threshold - 60%

processor performance core parking decrease policy - ideal

processor idle promote threshold - 50%

minimum processor state - 50%

processor performance autonomous mode - enabled

processor performance core parking overutilization threshold - 80%

system cooling policy - active

processor performance core parking core override - disabled

maximum processor state - 100%

processor performance boost mode - aggressive

processor performance core parking increase policy - ideal

processor performance core parking increase threshold - 80%

processor performance core parking utility distribution - disabled

processor performance core parking max cores - 100%

what confuses me a bit are the default settings in power saver & high performance profiles of

processor idle demote threshold - ps: 20% / hp: 40%

processor idle promote threshold - ps: 40% / hp: 60%

judging from their descriptions, i would actually suggest them being exactly opposite?!

any suggestions on these two options resp. how to optimize the power settings better to achieve what i explained above - as few cores/threads unparked as possible, clocked as high as possible, before unparking more, without capping
    min/max states or preventing threads from parking/unparking completely?

thanks

necrophyte, Jun 19, 2020
  4. Max Processor State in Power Management to reduce Laptop Heating

heating issue

Hi Shankar,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would like to know the following information to assist you better.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

2. Do you get any error message while using the computer?

3. Does the laptop fan working fine?

Please follow the below methods to fix the issue:

Method 1:

You may first check if any process is running high. Task Manager displays the programs, processes, and services that are currently running on your computer. You can use Task Manager to monitor your computer’s performance.

Follow these steps:

a. While on the desktop, right-click on the
    taskbar, click on Task Manager.

b. Click on the Processes tab and check if any processes that is running
    high.

If none of the process is running high then I suggest you to update the
    graphics card driver and check if it resolves the issue.

Step 1:

I suggest you to update the graphics card driver
    from manufacturer website and check if it helps.

Step 2:

I would suggest you to check with the following steps to try and resolve overheating issues:

a) Clean air vents and check if air fan is working or not.

b) Use some software, then, check if your system's fan is working at right speed.

c) Do not use your notebook/laptop on a surface that block air vents.

d) Thermal pads might be burnt. Try replacing them with new one.

e) There might be some fault with the hardware. You can get it checked with professional expert.

f) Adjust power settings to your needs. Lower energy consumption will result lower heat generation.

g) Never leave operating laptop with closed lid. This always generates heat inside laptop. You may close lid only if laptop will automatically go into sleep or hibernation mode.

h) You may also try installing latest software and drivers from the manufacturer website.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, let’s change the
    power plan settings
    to use minimum processor state to prevent overheating.

Reducing the maximum processor state for your laptop (both when it is on battery or when the power cable is plugged in), reduces the processor’s performance a notch (depending on your settings) and prevents it from being used
    at optimum potential by an application or game, which will reduce thermal heating. For example, if you are playing a game that is consuming 100% of your processor’s capacity, then it may also result in heating up your system, whereas reducing the battery power
    state to, say 80%, can resolve this problem, and also result in battery power conservation.

Follow the steps to do so:

a) Press Windows and X key together and select
    Power options.

b) Click on Change plan settings
    for the power plan that you have set on the laptop.

c) Go to Processor power management. Expand the
    icon and expand maximum processor state.

d) Reduce the processor state (for both Plugged-in as well as On battery) to a certain level to verify if it makes any difference.

e) Click on Apply and then
    OK

For reference, you can refer to these link to optimize the computer’s performance:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Important: Data available on bad sectors might be lost when chkdsk tries to repair your hard disc.

Please revert us if you need further assistance. We would be happy to help.

SuvarnaG1709, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

Max Processor State in Power Management to reduce Laptop Heating

1. Max Processor State in Power Management to reduce Laptop Heating - Similar Threads - Max Processor State

2. Can't find processor power management in power options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find processor power management in power options: How to fix this problem? And can I increase cpu speed with this option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-processor-power-management-in-power/5215cb1e-5c0c-4381-a150-850f1f7473b3
  3. 'Max Processor State' Setting in 'Control Panel -> Power Options' only affects the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'Max Processor State' Setting in 'Control Panel -> Power Options' only affects the...: I'm having Intel i5 12450H processor in my laptop. I want to reduce power consumption of my laptop when it is not requiring the full capacity of the H series processor. So, I tried reducing 'Max Processor State' setting in 'Control Panel' -> 'Hardware and Sound' -> 'Power...
  4. 'Max Processor State' Setting in 'Control Panel -> Power Options' only affects the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Max Processor State' Setting in 'Control Panel -> Power Options' only affects the...: I'm having Intel i5 12450H processor in my laptop. I want to reduce power consumption of my laptop when it is not requiring the full capacity of the H series processor. So, I tried reducing 'Max Processor State' setting in 'Control Panel' -> 'Hardware and Sound' -> 'Power...
  5. Advanced Power Plan Setting "Maximum Processor state" and "Minimum processor state" not...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advanced Power Plan Setting "Maximum Processor state" and "Minimum processor state" not...: SPECS: Win 10 (obv) i7 10700F 16GB 3000mhz 1660 Super So I used to set my processor states to prevent overheating, as my processor runs at 4.6 ghz, and only a few games can get it beyond what I like in terms of temp (80c+ or 176f+), as it generally rests around 80c/174f...
  6. Maximum and Minimum Processor State missing in Power management settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum and Minimum Processor State missing in Power management settings: I tried the command prompt fix, downloading the registry file and running it and both didn't work to bring back those 2 options.I am running on Windows 10 20H2 version. Pls help asap...
  7. power option processor power management

power option processor power management: i have problem when i put on maximum processor state to 100% fps drops and when it is on 80% there are no more fps drops pls can someone help me submitted by /u/Impuls45 [link] [comments]...
  8. Minimum/Max processor power state won’t show up even after enabling it.

Minimum/Max processor power state won’t show up even after enabling it.: Hello! I could really use a hand here. I’m trying to adjust my processor power state but nothing I’ve tried has worked. submitted by /u/ludvig-2005 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hejc9j/minimummax_processor_power_state_wont_show_up/
  9. "Max Processor State" removed from Processor Power Management

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Max Processor State" removed from Processor Power Management: Hi, My computer has issues with overclocking and overheating and I had found that the most reliable fix was to lower the max processor state to something more manageable (100% to 80%, etc). However, the option to do this in "power plan" settings has been removed somehow,...
  10. Heating of Laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Heating of Laptop: when I use my laptop without the internet my laptop doesn't get heated, but when it connected to the internet it gets very hot and hotter and hotter when I use youtube? so kindly give some solutions to save my laptop from heating and loudness of fan....