Windows 10: "Max Processor State" removed from Processor Power Management

Discus and support "Max Processor State" removed from Processor Power Management in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, My computer has issues with overclocking and overheating and I had found that the most reliable fix was to lower the max processor state to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ketsen, May 21, 2019.

1. Ketsen Win User

"Max Processor State" removed from Processor Power Management

Hi,
    My computer has issues with overclocking and overheating and I had found that the most reliable fix was to lower the max processor state to something more manageable (100% to 80%, etc). However, the option to do this in "power plan" settings has been removed somehow, perhaps in a recent update. In addition, a fix I found online meant to add the option back doesn't work for me (there is a forum post here with this same fix and another option, which also didn't work): Add/Remove "Max Processor State" (Laptop Overheating Fix) - YouTube
    I'm assuming there is a recent update that changed this, but even on the video I linked people say the fix worked more recently, so perhaps that's not the case. Is there another way to get "max processor state" setting back? Alternatively, is there a different way that I can change the same or a similar setting? This is very frustrating especially since the setting was there for me and now disappeared seemingly for no reason
    Thanks.

:)

Ketsen, May 21, 2019

2. processor power management optimization

ive been playing around with the processor power management options for quite a while already since i noticed that my old notebook's cpu (i7-720qm) struggles with running on full power (mainly due to heat i assume).

i already managed to optimize performance quite noticeably, but some of the settings are not fully clear to me resp. their default settings are quite confusing, even contradicting to their descriptions.

so if there is somebody familiar with processor power management - ie. idle and performance states and their respective settings, some explanations and recommendations would be highly appreciated.

my main aim is to make the cpu run on as few cores/threads possible, clocked as high as possible, before unparking additional cores/threads. ie. to be highly responsive for just a few tasks rather than manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and not getting
    throttled because too many threads get unparked although just a few - but clocked high - would manage it better. mainly because most of my tasks much more require few but high clocked threads than more parallel processing.

here are the settings i have set currently:

processor performance increase threshold - 30%

processor performance core parking min cores - 13%

processor performance decrease threshold - 20%

processor performance core parking concurrency threshold - 95%

processor energy performance preference policy - 20%

allow throttle states - off

processor performance decrease policy - ideal

processor performance core parking parked performance state - no preference

processor performance boost policy - 100%

processor performance increase policy ideal - aggressive

processor idle demote threshold - 30%

processor performance core parking distribution threshold - 90%

processor duty cycling - disabled

processor idle disable enable - idle

processor performance core parking decrease threshold - 60%

processor performance core parking decrease policy - ideal

processor idle promote threshold - 50%

minimum processor state - 50%

processor performance autonomous mode - enabled

processor performance core parking overutilization threshold - 80%

system cooling policy - active

processor performance core parking core override - disabled

maximum processor state - 100%

processor performance boost mode - aggressive

processor performance core parking increase policy - ideal

processor performance core parking increase threshold - 80%

processor performance core parking utility distribution - disabled

processor performance core parking max cores - 100%

what confuses me a bit are the default settings in power saver & high performance profiles of

processor idle demote threshold - ps: 20% / hp: 40%

processor idle promote threshold - ps: 40% / hp: 60%

judging from their descriptions, i would actually suggest them being exactly opposite?!

any suggestions on these two options resp. how to optimize the power settings better to achieve what i explained above - as few cores/threads unparked as possible, clocked as high as possible, before unparking more, without capping
    min/max states or preventing threads from parking/unparking completely?

thanks

necrophyte, May 21, 2019
  3. bobblub Win User
    Processor Power Management isn't there

Hello! I have a laptop and i find that the fan is constantly on, and the sound is unbearably loud. I checked various YouTube tutorials and some suggested reducing the CPU's power consumption percentage in the processor power management area (after clicking
    advanced power settings). When I click advanced power settings, there is no section titled processor power management. is there a way to reduce the CPU's power consumption percentage, and why cant I find the processor power management section?

Thanks in advance "Max Processor State" removed from Processor Power Management :)

bobblub, May 21, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Processor Power Managment

Honestly, I have seen more systems bricked by users changing settings on their processor, modern processors ans associated software are very good at managing the processor without user intervention.

When your system is idle your processor will barely be ticking over and when you are performing processor intensive tasks like video rendering, your processor will boost to 120% of its max rated power

Have a read about
    SpeedStep
    and
    TurboBoost

DaveM121, May 21, 2019
Thema:

1. "Max Processor State" removed from Processor Power Management - Similar Threads - Max Processor State

2. 'Max Processor State' Setting in 'Control Panel -> Power Options' only affects the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'Max Processor State' Setting in 'Control Panel -> Power Options' only affects the...: I'm having Intel i5 12450H processor in my laptop. I want to reduce power consumption of my laptop when it is not requiring the full capacity of the H series processor. So, I tried reducing 'Max Processor State' setting in 'Control Panel' -> 'Hardware and Sound' -> 'Power...
  3. 'Max Processor State' Setting in 'Control Panel -> Power Options' only affects the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Max Processor State' Setting in 'Control Panel -> Power Options' only affects the...: I'm having Intel i5 12450H processor in my laptop. I want to reduce power consumption of my laptop when it is not requiring the full capacity of the H series processor. So, I tried reducing 'Max Processor State' setting in 'Control Panel' -> 'Hardware and Sound' -> 'Power...
  4. Advanced Power Plan Setting "Maximum Processor state" and "Minimum processor state" not...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advanced Power Plan Setting "Maximum Processor state" and "Minimum processor state" not...: SPECS: Win 10 (obv) i7 10700F 16GB 3000mhz 1660 Super So I used to set my processor states to prevent overheating, as my processor runs at 4.6 ghz, and only a few games can get it beyond what I like in terms of temp (80c+ or 176f+), as it generally rests around 80c/174f...
  5. Maximum and Minimum Processor State missing in Power management settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximum and Minimum Processor State missing in Power management settings: I tried the command prompt fix, downloading the registry file and running it and both didn't work to bring back those 2 options.I am running on Windows 10 20H2 version. Pls help asap...
  6. power option processor power management

power option processor power management: i have problem when i put on maximum processor state to 100% fps drops and when it is on 80% there are no more fps drops pls can someone help me submitted by /u/Impuls45 [link] [comments]...
  7. Minimum/Max processor power state won’t show up even after enabling it.

Minimum/Max processor power state won’t show up even after enabling it.: Hello! I could really use a hand here. I’m trying to adjust my processor power state but nothing I’ve tried has worked. submitted by /u/ludvig-2005 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hejc9j/minimummax_processor_power_state_wont_show_up/
  8. Max Processor State in Power Management to reduce Laptop Heating

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Max Processor State in Power Management to reduce Laptop Heating: I have a brand new HP Omen with Windows 10 coupled with an Intel Core i5 9300H and 8GB RAM. It is heating when I play CPU intensive games and when I check for suggestions in the Microsoft Community, I got to know that reducing the Max Processor State in the Advanced Power...
  9. Add or Remove Maximum processor state from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Maximum processor state from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Maximum processor state from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Maximum processor state" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options allows users to specify the maximum percentage of processor capabilities to use. Lower percentage...
  10. Add or Remove Minimum processor state from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Minimum processor state from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Minimum processor state from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Minimum processor state" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options allows users to specify the minimum percentage of processor capabilities to use. Lower percentage...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. processor power management removed from windows 10