Windows 10: Maximise/Minimising windows is not working.

Discus and support Maximise/Minimising windows is not working. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a problem with my Win10 laptop and the best way to describe it (i think!), is that the minimise/maximising of windows is not behaving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sam4673, Feb 17, 2016.

1. sam4673 Win User

Maximise/Minimising windows is not working.

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Win10 laptop and the best way to describe it (i think!), is that the minimise/maximising of windows is not behaving as expected.
    For example: sometimes I am unable to maximise a window properly, it seems to maximise, but not come to the front of the open windows. so if I have a browser open, and try to maximise MsWord, the word window maximises, but sits behind the browser so I then have to minimise the browser.
    ALSO sometimes even this doesn't work as for some reason a window will change its position to off the screen so the only way to maximise it (without ending the program and re-starting), is to hover over the taskbar icon, right click the needed window and hit maximise.

I find this extremely frustrating as the simplest task (switching between windows) is a massive hassle.

If anyone has any suggestions of possible fixes or has had the same problem please get in contact! At this point it'd be nice to know i'm not the only person with this issue!

Cheers,
    Sam

:)

sam4673, Feb 17, 2016
  2. PCL1904 Win User

why is my minimise/maximise button NOT working

why is my minimise/maximise button NOT working

PCL1904, Feb 17, 2016
  3. windows 10 New Dell Inspiron i5 soft ware

Cannot size or resize windows - only maximise or minimise or close. Solution???

harry becker, Feb 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, background.. could you confirm if this suddenly started happening, and things were normal with Win 10, or whether it's always been true since you installed Win 10?

If it's suddenly become a problem, what change have you made or noticed?

Do you have a relevant restore point or disk image?

(Everyone should use 3rd party disk imaging- it has so many advantages, letting you recover quickly from unbootable and difficult to resolve situations, as well as providing a full backup, and allowing you to replace your HDD or SSD).

dalchina, Feb 17, 2016
  5. sam4673 Win User
    Hi,
    It was a sudden issue that occurred around 4-5 months after I purchased the laptop and upgraded to windows 10, seemed to coincide with a windows update around a month ago, although since then I have installed a few programs for my studies including Adobe Acrobat and Endnote (citation software) but the issue was present prior to these installations.

I don't have a restore point prior to this issue - as usual it took something to go wrong to prompt me to do the sensible thing and start creating restore points...

I have never considered 3rd party disk imaging software, can you recommend any?

Thanks,
    Sam

sam4673, Feb 17, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, not a problem I'm familiar with- & I've read of many...

1. Does this happen in a new user account? If not, it's not 3rd party program effects or Windows being 'broken' - just your account.
    If not, would you be able to move everything to the new account? Tedious, but would solve it, presumably.
    2. If it does, does it happen in Safe Mode? (eliminates most 3rd party program effects).

Disk Imaging:
    Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as most compatible with more complex disk configurations compared to some others.
    A newcomer is Veeam Endpoint Backup, which I've not used.

Neither of these offer differential imaging, only incremental. Macrium is a bit geeky, the Veeam offering is focussed on using a backup schedule (which I'd not recommend for simple domestic situations where your external disk is not and should not be connected most of the time).

I used Aomei Backupper for some years (free/commercial) - both incremental and differential backups, but some have found issue with some disk configurations. I found a bug in using it with Laplink PCMover Image Assistant to transfer 300 progs & data & settings to my new PC- permissions- acknowledged by Aomei.

Acronis TI has been bloated for years, but some use it.

O&O diskimage is good, commercial only, except with my new laptop (HD screen) the main toolbar text is oddly displaced - acknowledged by O&O, to be corrected.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Maximise/Minimising windows is not working. - Similar Threads - Maximise Minimising working

2. Where is my minimise, maximise and close buttons?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is my minimise, maximise and close buttons?!: I was using my computer. I had Task Manager open I threw it at the top of the screen. The buttons are now gone and won't come back. Need help!...
  3. Where is my minimise, maximise and close buttons?!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is my minimise, maximise and close buttons?!: I was using my computer. I had Task Manager open I threw it at the top of the screen. The buttons are now gone and won't come back. Need help!...
  4. Windows 10: Dark mode but white close/minimise/maximise buttons in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Dark mode but white close/minimise/maximise buttons in settings: I had to completely reinstall windows 10 home, currently running 21H2 Build 19044.1645, and changed to dark mode.However when I go to the settings screen right click on desktop -> personalise , the buttons for close/minimise/maximise are still white/light grey and won't turn...
  5. Windows 10: Dark mode but white close/minimise/maximise buttons in settings

Windows 10: Dark mode but white close/minimise/maximise buttons in settings: I had to completely reinstall windows 10 home, currently running 21H2 Build 19044.1645, and changed to dark mode.However when I go to the settings screen right click on desktop -> personalise , the buttons for close/minimise/maximise are still white/light grey and won't turn...
  6. minimise/maximise and close buttons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    minimise/maximise and close buttons: The minimise/maximise and close buttons are showing as circles on my husbands computer. Has anyone had this problem and how can he change them back again?...
  7. minimise/maximise and close buttons

minimise/maximise and close buttons: The minimise/maximise and close buttons are showing as circles on my husbands computer. Has anyone had this problem and how can he change them back again?...
  8. Size of close, Minimise and Maximise buttons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Size of close, Minimise and Maximise buttons: Hi all, I have recently downloaded Windows 10 and was wondering if there was a way to reduce the size of the Close, Minimise and restore buttons at the top of each of my windows? Thanks...
  9. Unable to minimise a maximised window

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to minimise a maximised window: So previously with the Snap Assist I was able to hold left click the toolbar as a maximised window and drag it down to minimise it, but now I can only maximise a minimised window like Google Chrome, why has this happened and how can I get this to work again? Edit:...
  10. Strange Minimise/Maximise Animations

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Minimise/Maximise Animations: Hey guys, Something really weird is happening ever since I upgraded (which is a few days ago). Every window, if opened brand new, minimises with the correct animation (the window would fade and minimise to its button on the taskbar). But if I maximise it, the animation...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. have problem in minimising window

2. google window is not maximising or minimising

3. minimise not working

4. minimise and maximise not working