Windows 10: Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen

Discus and support Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Some Windows users are reporting when a program or app window is maximized, it leaves blank space on the top part of the computer screen. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jan 17, 2022.

1. WinClub New Member

Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen

Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen Maximized-window-leaves-blank-space-on-top-of-screen.jpg
    Some Windows users are reporting when a program or app window is maximized, it leaves blank space on the top part of the computer screen. This is an annoying issue and can be caused by a lot of different things. In this article, we are going to see how to resolve the issue with some […]

This article Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Jan 17, 2022
  2. coffent Win User

Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode

I asked this question back on July 2020, but have updated it and am reposting in hopes that someone knows a solution. Others are experiencing the same problem.

The problem manifests itself as a blank area at the top of a maximized window. It occurs

• Only for certain programs (Notepad, Intel Graphics, Thunderbird, Firefox, Macro Exchange Pro32, VLC Media Player, Irfanview)
    • Not for other programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Notepad++, PDFXchange Editor, Jarte, Mathcad, Visual Studio, Macrium Reflect)
    • Only when the window is displayed in Maximized mode on whichever monitor is designated as primary on a dual-monitor system
    When it occurs, clicking on the program's menu items does nothing, and if, for example, the X at the top right of the screen is clicked, it closes not the affected program, but rather any program underneath it.

The only way I've found to cure the problem temporarily is to reboot the computer. How long it takes before the problem recurs is variable. For example, I was free of the problem for over a month until 2 days ago. Now it's occurred 3 times in the span of 2 days.

I've seen various suggestions for curing the problem, but none have worked. For example, one person suggested using Task Manager to "end task" of dwm.exe. This works for an already-opened program, but if the program is closed and reopened the problem comes back.

This problem has been plaguing me (and others with dual monitors) for over a year. Any suggestions?

System: Windows 10 Home 2009 64-bit; Intel Graphics 630 card

[I wanted to reduce the size of these screenshots & display them side-by-side, but double-clicking them does not bring up a screen for adjusting size, as I was told. If someone can tell me how, I'll reduce them.]
    Windowed_________________________________________________________________________Maximized

Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen [​IMG]

coffent, Jan 17, 2022
  3. MatheusChampe, Jan 17, 2022
  4. dalchina Win User

Blank space at top of program windows

Hi,
    screenshots please? Thus:

Build number as you were prompted by the forum please?

Diagnostic steps:
    Perform a clean boot (Google or see tutorial if unsure how)- does the same problem occur?
    Please create a new user for test purposes. Log in as that user - does the same problem occur?

Please confirm if you mean a clean install where Windows was installed to unallocated space on the disk using a Win 10 bootable medium.

Noted: PC seems to be from around 2016.

dalchina, Jan 17, 2022
Thema:

1. Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen - Similar Threads - Maximized window leaves

2. Top 10% of maximized windows aren't there, clicking in space interacts with window...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Top 10% of maximized windows aren't there, clicking in space interacts with window...: The top 10% or so of my maximized windows are transparent and clicking in that space interacts with the inactive window behind. Oddly, this isn't a permanent condition, and if I press F11 for full screen and F11 again to return, then the full maximized window is visible and...
  3. Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode: I asked this question back on July 2020, but have updated it and am reposting in hopes that someone knows a solution. Others are experiencing the same problem. The problem manifests itself as a blank area at the top of a maximized window. It occurs Only for certain programs...
  4. Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system: When running certain programs in my Windows 10 v. 1909 system with two monitors, sometimes a window displayed full-screen on one monitor (in my case, the one interfaced via the VGA port) will have a ~1" blank area at the top of the screen right below the title bar. (See the...
  5. Recent updates leave screen totally blank

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recent updates leave screen totally blank: I was catching up on a few weeks of updates today and had to restart after a few batches. The last restart, I forget for what update, just left a blank screen as if no connection. Ive tried to restart into safe mode but nothing works, theres zero connection it seems to two...
  6. Blank space at top of program windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank space at top of program windows: Hello, Odd problem here. At least three programs on this Windows 10 Pro (Ver. 1909) machine will sometimes open with sections missing at the top of the windows. This usually means the menus are not there, but just a blank grey space instead. It doesn't matter if minimized...
  7. taskbar stays on top of maximized window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    taskbar stays on top of maximized window: since updating to 1903 the taskbar occasionally stays on top of maximized windows. i have to click it and then click back into the window to get rid of it. not huge deal but happens super often so its annoying. i have already tried restarting windows explorer and also pc like...
  8. Windows terminal server 2016, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows terminal server 2016, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of...: Hello! Hope some one can assist i have different Users with a strange behaviour - if they maximize a window tested with IE11, Acrobat, Windows Explorer, google chrome they get an empty or black / white space on top of that window. Right clicking on the empty or black /...
  9. Windows 10, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of screen

Windows 10, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of screen: This problem happens with all windows when maximized. When the window is maximized there is a bar at the top of the screen through which i can see my desktop. Its like that range that the window can maximize has been shortened. Here is the link from reddit and this is...
  10. Bottom section of maximized window is blank.

Bottom section of maximized window is blank.: Below are images of the issue I am having with a few users. One instance it is seen in File Explorer, the other, in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. This problem arrived during the tail end of the 1709 updates and has seen its way into the latest 1803 packages. Their Lenovo T560's...