Windows 10: Maximizing available disk space on a hard-drive.

Discus and support Maximizing available disk space on a hard-drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This discussion is primarily intended to discuss: 1. Maximizing available disk space. 2. What to do with a MFG Recovery Partition and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Monkey57, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Monkey57 Win User

Maximizing available disk space on a hard-drive.

This discussion is primarily intended to discuss:

1. Maximizing available disk space.

2. What to do with a MFG Recovery Partition and the importance of backing it up or not-should it be removed?

3. When, if ever, 3rd-party Partition Management can help.

4. When should a Clean Install be considered.

Note: A good backup of all data, and having control of all account passwords & resets; is critical when owning a smart phone or computer.

:)

Monkey57, Apr 4, 2021

2. Hard disk space

The first and most obvious reason you don’t have access to all your hard drive space is that there’s a significant piece of software installed on it already: your operating system. Unless you specifically selected a “no OS” model, it will come pre-installed
    with something.

Another place your hard drive space might have gone is to a manufacturer-created disk partitions. In years past, a new computer commonly came with one (or a whole book full of) CDs containing software, including a recovery disk. In the event of a total meltdown
    of your machine, you could boot from this drive and restore your computer to an right-out-of-the-box state.

Other possible reasons including hidden partitions, unpartitioned hard disk space, system protection takes up much space and many others. check out

this tutorial
    to see how to solve it step by step.

Hope it is helpful.

PeterPeng3, Apr 4, 2021
  3. Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Patrick, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in
    Incorrect Free Space
    and see if this helps.

NOTE: In the above article, you may need to perform Check Disk, so while performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector, if any data available on that might be
    lost.

If you still face any issues and as you have RAID Configuration hard drives, we suggest you to post your query in

IT Pro TechNet forums

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Apr 4, 2021
  4. Maria Fab Win User

Hard Disk Space getting Full

Hello Prempeh,

There are a lot of factors as to why the hard drive is getting full. To verify, may we know what is the make and model of your PC?

Meanwhile, check the suggestions provided in these articles on how to free up some drive space on your PC. See
    Free up drive space in Windows 10 and
    Disk cleanup in Windows 10. Follow the steps provided.

Kindly update us with the results. We'll be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Maria Fab, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Maximizing available disk space on a hard-drive. - Similar Threads - Maximizing available disk

2. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  3. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  4. 4TB hard drive not getting all space available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4TB hard drive not getting all space available: Hey guys,I have a 4TB hard drive that used to be plugged in to an old PC that only read it as being 2TB, now it's on a newer computer, but it will still not show as 4TB, it doesn't let me resize/expand it in Disk Management, I deleted all the partitions in it, but it shows as...
  5. 4TB hard drive not getting all space available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    4TB hard drive not getting all space available: Hey guys,I have a 4TB hard drive that used to be plugged in to an old PC that only read it as being 2TB, now it's on a newer computer, but it will still not show as 4TB, it doesn't let me resize/expand it in Disk Management, I deleted all the partitions in it, but it shows as...
  6. Secondary hard drive showing incorrect available space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Secondary hard drive showing incorrect available space: I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.1256 on a laptop with two separate drives. One is the 256GB boot drive the other is the 1TB storage drive. Windows 10 Settings > System > Storage, Disk Management, Drive Properties in File Explorer, This PC, Defraggler,...
  7. Hard Disk Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Disk Space: Hello, my hard drive SSD is filling up, and I would like to know what is the best way to get free space with out problems. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-space/2ec660fc-3503-40ea-8d78-9a08b9f669a7"
  8. Hard disk space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk space: I am running Windows 10 . The machine came with 2 x 500Gb hard disks,. One disk failed, so I replaced it with a 1Tb drive. I have just replaced the other drive with a 1Tb drive and expected the PC to show that storage had increased. However, it hasn't. What do I need to do to...
  9. Hard disk space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard disk space: I am running Windows 10 on a Dell XPS420 desktop. The machine came with 2 x 500Gb hard disks, which were set up in Raid Mirror. One disk failed, so I replaced it with a 1Tb drive. I have just replaced the other drive with a 1Tb drive and expected the PC to show that storage...
  10. hard disk space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard disk space: my 1tb disc is almost full and I need to know why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-space/20210a12-f63b-44de-bda0-784848ebd8be