Windows 10: May 12th update caused taskbar and start key to stop working+ more

Discus and support May 12th update caused taskbar and start key to stop working+ more in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Got an update on May 12th. The next day I boot things up, try and right click on an icon on my taskbar and nothing happens. I try clicking on start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Trump, May 14, 2016.

1. Trump Win User

May 12th update caused taskbar and start key to stop working+ more

Got an update on May 12th. The next day I boot things up, try and right click on an icon on my taskbar and nothing happens.
    I try clicking on start and using the keyboard shortcut, nothing happens. Right click on the desktop works fine until you try and access anything with it (change wallpaper, resolutino ect). Then I get an error message:
    "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Install something or create and association in the default programs control panel"

Rightclicking on the taskbar while not on start/icon pops the options.

I rolled back the update through recovery and to no surprise it was fixed until the update got shoved down my throat again, and, again, to no surprise the problem came back. Now the only restore points are: the first failed update of may 12th (same as I have now, so useless), may 13th the backup before the first restore (so when the update was applied). I'm screwed either way.

I can't access things like settings in any way (any commands or other ways to get there fail).

Got an update on May 12th. The next day I boot things up, try and right click on an icon on my taskbar and nothing happens.
    I try clicking on start and using the keyboard shortcut, nothing happens. Right click on the desktop works fine until you try and access anything with it (change wallpaper, resolutino ect). Then I get an error message:
    "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Install something or create and association in the default programs control panel"

Rightclicking on the taskbar while not on start/icon pops the options.

I rolled back the update through recovery and to no surprise it was fixed until the update got shoved down my throat again, and, again, to no surprise the problem came back. Now the only restore points are: the first failed update of may 12th (same as I have now, so useless), may 13th the backup before the first restore (so when the update was applied). I'm screwed either way.

I can't access things like settings in any way (any commands or other ways to get there fail).

:)

Trump, May 14, 2016

2. Computer updated today. Now it will not start. This is not the first time. July 12, 2017

Microsoft updated my computer this morning. July 12th 2017. When I got home and tried to start my computer it would not properly start. This is not the first time that I have received an update to my computer which caused issues with my computer. I work
    with my computer every day for a living and if updating is going to be an issue which prevents me from getting my work done, then I will have to stop getting updates. These update should be vetted prior to being released.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

CraigHartman, May 14, 2016
  3. Windows Phone 8 missing automatic upload of photos to OneDrive (SkyDrive)

Hello all,

My Nokia Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8 was auto-uploading photos to OneDrive until April 5th. Starting April 5th, the auto-upload stopped working. I noticed this around April 12th, I manually uploaded a picture that was taken on April 6th. All photos
    that I took starting from April 12th started auto-uploading again.

* Why would this happen?

* The photos taken between April 5th and April 12th are still not auto-uploaded. Is there a way for me to make the phone catch up on this (other than manually uploading them?)

As a data point, FWIW, I have upgraded to dev preview on April 16th, and even with this, the auto-upload hole for April 5th - April 12th has still not happened

Sreeram Vaidyanath, May 14, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Trump and welcome to Tenforums.

You might want to try a repair install using an in-place upgrade.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

I would suggest downloading the ISO from MSTechBench to your desktop, right-click to mount it, and run setup.exe. This should fix your problems. As always, make sure your data is backed up first.

simrick, May 15, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    The only update would be Insider Build 14342. Nothing else has been released at this time for any major changes, since they are finishing up on Redstone.

bro67, May 15, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    I think perhaps you are confusing updates with upgrades? There indeed was a WU released on the 10th, which quite possibly made it to some computers on the 12th:
    Windows 10 update history - Windows Help

Since the OP posted in the General thread and not the Insider thread, I assume he is working on v1511, for which this update has caused problems for some.

simrick, May 15, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Incorrect Simrick. An upgrade is going from Windows 7 to Windows 10. An update, especially for Insiders is going to the next build.

I have been around the block or two and been doing this stuff since the Home Brew days.

Please stay on subject.

They so not have to do any kind of repair, it is the last push that is causing this behavior.

I have my Windows 10 test box up to date and have none of the issues as the OP.

If people are Insiders, they need to state that up front, so that we can track these issues. We need to know if they are Insiders or not, because the majority of these problems are only affecting that group, not the general user population.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. May 12th update caused taskbar and start key to stop working+ more - Similar Threads - May 12th update

2. Random Keys Stop working and start working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Keys Stop working and start working.: my "five and six" keys along with my cntrl key stop working randomly. When one starts working again, they all start working again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my keyboard drivers. I have windows 11. Not sure how to proceed....
  3. Random Keys Stop working and start working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Keys Stop working and start working.: my "five and six" keys along with my cntrl key stop working randomly. When one starts working again, they all start working again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my keyboard drivers. I have windows 11. Not sure how to proceed....
  4. Keyboard keys randomly stop working and starts working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard keys randomly stop working and starts working: Currently on my 6 year old Dell Inspiron r15, my Tab, Caps lock and left shift are no longer working I believe I've already made a post asking for fixes but It didn't really matter that much anymore. However now the X key is having problems and will die out at random times,...
  5. Function keys start and stop working HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Function keys start and stop working HELP: So basically I’ll be using my computer, hitting the windows key, alt tabbing, pausing music all the basic stuff with short cuts and function keys. And all of a sudden it will stop working.. then start working. I have no idea why and need help please!! submitted by...
  6. Taskbar stopped working since update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar stopped working since update: Hi guys, Ever since the latest update my taskbar just doesn't load so I can't open any apps or anything. I've reset it to a previous update before and that worked for a bit but then it demanded I do an update and we're back to square one. I've tried restarting explorer but...
  7. Cumulative updates - May 12th 2020

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cumulative updates - May 12th 2020: This is a summary of the cumulative updates released on May 12th, 2020 for all the supported consumer releases of Windows 10. 1. Windows 10 1903 and 1909 - KB4556799, Build No. 18362.836 and 18363.836 2. Windows 10 1809- KB4550969, OS build 17763.1192* Direct...
  8. Cortana Stopped Working after "May update"

in Cortana
    Cortana Stopped Working after "May update": I kept getting prompts about last chance for May update. I performed the update and have lost Cortana. She will open sometimes but NEVER responds since I did this update. I have performed all troubleshooting. Can I uninstall this "May update". I was much happier with...
  9. Windows 10 taskbar and start menu not working after May 2019 update 1903

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 taskbar and start menu not working after May 2019 update 1903: Tried a few of the suggested fixes found on this site and elsewhere but nothing has worked. I don't have dev profile activated, yes I have firewall running, no I haven't installed any other software other than the update to make this happen.... This is a bone stock W10...
  10. May 12th 2015 Windows Updates Security Bulletin Details

in Windows 10 News
    May 12th 2015 Windows Updates Security Bulletin Details: Today, as part of Update Tuesday, we released 13 security bulletins. We encourage customers to apply all of these updates. For more information about this month’s security updates, including a detailed view of the Exploitability Index (XI), visit the Microsoft Bulletin...