Windows 10: May 2018 W10 update, desktop will not boot

Discus and support May 2018 W10 update, desktop will not boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm not certain where this should be posted. Please advise of better place. my desktop is a Gateway, running an I5 processor. 8 g ram 500g HD. no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sunslight, May 19, 2018.

1. sunslight Win User

May 2018 W10 update, desktop will not boot

I'm not certain where this should be posted. Please advise of better place.

my desktop is a Gateway, running an I5 processor. 8 g ram 500g HD.
    no problems until today, after running the latest microsoft update.
    before update, I did a system restore; but did not make backup *bad move.

Update seemed to have installed (or maybe it did not). No error message.
    After an hour, when I checked on the progress, I was asked to select language.
    I did that.
    Next screen, 1st option was to "continue to rollback." If I selected that, computer went to restart and came back to same screen.
    Screen also had system restore, system recover options.
    Restore failed, said nothing to restore--although I had made a restore point prior to installing the update.
    System recover/fix said it could not do it.
    Nothing got me to a boot.
    I could get to command prompt but could not access any of the HD files--no authentication.
    BIOS asks me to select to boot from the Microsoft Boot Manager or from the HD.
    Neither option had any effect.
    I tried from the command prompt to get to a safe boot but that did not work either.
    I was able to see Windows.old file still in the directory but it has today's date. And "rollback" fto earlier version failed, with unable to do.

This update has obliterated my Windows10.
    Ideas on how to roll back? command prompt seems to be the only thing working.

thanks

:)

sunslight, May 19, 2018
  2. ABCDTim Win User

Windows 10 update may 2018 can't find c\....desktop and boots to blank desktop no files or apps

Windows 10 pushed update may 2018 has obliterated my pc.

It can't find c\windows\....desktop and boots to a blank desktop with no files or apps or any functionality. I can't open Explorer to see if my files are intact.

All I have is my pc login screen and fastest boot time ever.

How to rectify please? ????? This is my primary/only pc.

ABCDTim, May 19, 2018
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, May 19, 2018
Thema:

May 2018 W10 update, desktop will not boot

1. May 2018 W10 update, desktop will not boot - Similar Threads - May 2018 W10

2. Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inaccessible boot device after updating from April 2018 to May 2019 update: Currently running a dual-boot system on a Lenovo Yoga 730 with manjaro and windows 10. Upon restarting and allowing Windows Update to upgrade to the May 2019 update, I get a stop error with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Initially, GRUB menu wouldn't appear, but has now appears...
  3. W10 May 2019 Update 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 May 2019 Update 1903: when will it be released? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-may-2019-update-1903/dbb09df1-383f-494b-8f7a-b604903e795d
  4. May W10 Update potential problems ?

in Windows 10 Support
    May W10 Update potential problems ?: Hello, Lots of Posts around re a May Update to W10 by MS. Seems all sorts of nasty things will happen, especially if you have any external HD (perhaps for backups) installed. Other problems too, apparently. And, lots of hints for disabling the automatic backup that MS...
  5. Login issues since the May 2018 update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Login issues since the May 2018 update: Since this update - my tablet, which thankfully I do not use often (as it is next to not possible now) login is extremely slow (click on screen to start login and have to wait minutes before I can enter any "auth" info, and I can no longer use the PIN method. Further,...
  6. AdDuplex report for May 2018 on Windows 10 April 2018 Update

in Windows 10 News
    AdDuplex report for May 2018 on Windows 10 April 2018 Update: Windows 10 PC OS Versions Worldwide [img] April 2018 Update managed to reach 50% of Windows 10 PCs in just one month. Windows 10 PC OS Version History [img] With 50% market share in just one month 1803 (aka April 2018 Update) is the fastest spreading Windows 10...
  7. Market Share May 2018

in Windows 10 News
    Market Share May 2018: Here are the charts from NetMarketShare and StatCounter. NetMarketShare suggests that W7 & W10 are flat. StatCounter shows a big increase for W10 increasing and corresponding decrease for W7. (You'll need to click several times to see it full size) [img] Data from...
  8. May 2018 updates for Microsoft Office

in Windows 10 News
    May 2018 updates for Microsoft Office: Microsoft released the following security and nonsecurity updates for Office in May 2018. These updates are intended to help our customers keep their computers up-to-date. We recommend that you install all updates that apply to you. To download an update, click the...
  9. Update for Surface Studio - May 4, 2018

in Windows 10 News
    Update for Surface Studio - May 4, 2018: We’ve released a new update for Surface Studio devices with Windows 10 Version 1709 and above. This update includes a new driver for the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows that improves reliability of the Xbox Wireless Adapter. This update is available in MSI format from the...
  10. May 2018 Non-Security Office Update Release

in Windows 10 News
    May 2018 Non-Security Office Update Release: Listed below are the non-security updates we released on the Download Center and Microsoft Update. See the linked KB articles for more information. Office 2010 Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB4022144) Office 2013 Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB4018389)...