Windows 10: May 2020 update breaks digital audio outputs

Discus and support May 2020 update breaks digital audio outputs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After installing May 2020 update my S/PDIF outputs stopped working. No amount of rebooting, removing devices from Device Manager, removing various... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by _yzt, May 29, 2020.

1. _yzt Win User

May 2020 update breaks digital audio outputs

After installing May 2020 update my S/PDIF outputs stopped working. No amount of rebooting, removing devices from Device Manager, removing various drivers, updating various drivers, checking cables and so on helped. Audio playback levels are registered by the Mixer, headphone jack or RCA works fine as well, just no sound comes from digital ports. I've got no dedicated soundcard, just integrated stuff on the mb ASUS P6T SE.

After hours or looking through forums that have similar posts about Creators Update in no small amount and different Windows settings, i rolled back to my previous installation update 1909, build 18363.836 and voila - digital audio works again!

I admit, my hardware is rather old, but there's no reason to break stuff that has been working for ages, is it? Now this is an absolute upgrade blocker for me, which was so annoying that i made effort to register on this forum and create this topic.

:)

2. Realtek Digital Output not connected

Helloguys my Realtek Digital Output says it's not connected, I'm getting audio however I think this is the case to me not being able to get audio from Steam Apps. I'm on Windows 10 also. I'm also on a Laptop.

The things I have tried

• Update my Drivers
    • Go to Win+R and type in "shutdown -r -t 0"

Senna Hiroshi Katsumi, May 29, 2020
  3. How to select PCM stereo output for digital audio S/PDIF jack?

I am looking to upgrade the sound from my PC. I wish to bypass the sound card of my computer by plugging in a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) in a USB 2.0 port. I've learned I can stream digital audio that way by selecting my DAC as the default audio output
    device. However, the DAC I am considering also can stream data from the digital optical output on my PC to the DAC. A tech rep for the DAC told me to stream music from both the optical output
    and the USB port alternatively and see which sounds better. However, for the DAC to utilize the digital optical jack it must be set to pulse-code modulation (PCM) stereo output.

Hence my problem. I see no menu option for selecting PCM stereo output as opposed to DTS or Dolby multi-channel audio in my sound controls for the optical output (in the "Supported Formats" section of the "Digital Audio S/PDIF Properties" menu. (Microsoft
    WMA Pro Audio is also offered in that menu, but I don't know what that is or if it changes the digital optical audio output to PCM format.) I would like to utilize the digital optical output from my PC as the DAC rep suggested if at all possible. Please advise.

Deekthe(non)Geek, May 29, 2020
  4. May 2020 update breaks digital audio outputs

No audio output: Win 10 Pro

Hi Nelson,

We would like to know more about your concern regarding the audio output of your computer. Have you received any error messages? After checking the audio drivers on the
    Device Manager, have you updated the audio drivers on your computer?

I would suggest you to check again the Device Manager and follow the steps below:

• In the Control Panel, remove the given sound software
    • Remove also the sound driver of the computer in the Device Manager
    • Restart the computer
    • Open Device Manager and click Scan for hardware changes
    • If there are no audio device that can be detected by the computer, you can update the chipset driver from the manufacturer's website.

Please keep us posted for us to assist you further.

Virfranz Man, May 29, 2020
Thema:

May 2020 update breaks digital audio outputs

1. May 2020 update breaks digital audio outputs - Similar Threads - May 2020 update

2. may 2020 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    may 2020 update: how do i install an earlier update in history can only see updates for 2021. i would like to install may 2020 update. could anyone help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2020-update/bea25d64-4623-4b77-bb69-772427cb21d5
  3. may 2020 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    may 2020 update: how do i install an earlier update in history can only see updates for 2021. i would like to install may 2020 update. could anyone help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2020-update/bea25d64-4623-4b77-bb69-772427cb21d5
  4. may 2020 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mixing Audio for Digital Output

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mixing Audio for Digital Output: How do I use an equalizer to mix audio for digital output to a Microsoft Display Adapter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mixing-audio-for-digital-output/04df36d4-9d31-4e97-a0ba-43ac9b599829
  6. May 2020 update

May 2020 update: This is about my husband's laptop. After two days he finally managed to install the update only to find out he cannot use his computer. He cannot get into any applications and it just seems to be stuck in a loading loop. What does he have to do now? If he can manage to...
  7. No may 2020 update

No may 2020 update: I been using a PC which was brought in US and using in other countries thus is there any delay for getting updates. I've waiting for longer duration to see update of may 2020 in setting page any alternative to install. I mean any manual process.........
  8. May 2020 Update

May 2020 Update: OK, I goofed. I meant I've tried to download the May 2020 Update, but it remains unavailable to me. So, what am I missing? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2020-update/ae3af36a-8f34-4831-99ad-c32d08bcafba
  9. May 2020 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    May 2020 update: how are having this problem May release of windows 10 failure again black screen 4 days working on update ready to go to Linux or back to 7 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2020-update/00b4f8e0-38c2-4c28-9e92-883c81349bd9
  10. May 2020 Update

May 2020 Update: Hello All, I just recently read about the May 2020 update. im a Windows Insider, and want to COMPLETELY opt out. not like delete my account from the insider program, I've decided i no longer wish to participate. how would i go to the May 2020 stable build. that is if the...