Windows 10: May Update issues with Power settings

Discus and support May Update issues with Power settings in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It appears with the newest update the best personal OS, Windows 10, just got even less dependable and predictable. We got used to it silently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Adam Jagosz, Jun 16, 2019.

1. May Update issues with Power settings

It appears with the newest update the best personal OS, Windows 10, just got even less dependable and predictable.

We got used to it silently rebooting to install updates and then starting the apps that were open before (well, a slice of them, like browsers) to pretend like “nothing happened”. But putting it to sleep used to defer the sad necessity. Now it reboots regardless of sleep mode, which is an issue, because I might be transporting the laptop in a backpack and don't want to take it out only to find its fan spinning like it's fighting for life. YES, the computer wakes from sleep mode, updates, and stays running. Which also kind of wakes me up in the early morning, anxious about what happened to it and how much of my previous day's work has been lost.

But the issue is deeper. Not only does Windows 10 quite randomly boots up, it also happens to shut down without reason. I noticed this problem when accidentally waking it from sleep and then trying to put it back without unlocking the screen. Clicking "Sleep" from the lockscreen menu actually shuts down the computer. How can you mess up this bad?

Not to mention the perpetual issue with lock screen background which temporarily resets itself to the new (1809, I think) default whenever the computer runs out of battery or updates, but then goes back to my picture of choice on the next locking. Since when do we communicate with fullscreen pictures in an OS?

:)

Adam Jagosz, Jun 16, 2019

2. power issue

Hello,

Most of the time, this issue is caused by external devices that are possibly keeping the PC active which then results in the screen/display not turning off even after you've set the power settings. Try disconnecting any external devices, usually gaming devices,
    and check if the issue persists.

We also suggest running the Power troubleshooter to automatically troubleshoot any power issue. Just follow the steps below:

• Click on Search/Cortana, and then type Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Jun 16, 2019
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    Windows 10 Power Settings

Hi Mike,

There are various reasons why you are experiencing this issue. One of which is misconfigured power settings.

Considering that the settings are properly set up and the issue is still happening, we suggest running the troubleshooter for Power on your Settings. This will help in identifying the root cause of the issue and provide appropriate fix for it. Kindly
    follow the steps below to do it:

• Open Settings.
    • Choose Update & security.
    • Under Update & security, choose Troubleshoot.
    • Under Find and Fix other problems, scroll down and look for
      Power
    • Click Power, and click Run the troubleshooter tab, then, follow the on-screen instructions to perform it.

Kindly update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Jun 16, 2019
  4. Ryan Mon1 Win User

May Update issues with Power settings

Can't Change Power Settings

Thank you for the quick response. We will now move to the second phase of troubleshooting. We suggest that you follow the steps provided below:

Method 1: Run the Power Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with your system's power settings. Here's how:

• In the search box, type troubleshooting, and then click
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

Method 2: Customize Power options.

If issue persists, the the following steps and check.

• In the search box, type Power options, and then click.
    • Click on choose when to turn off display from the left pane.
    • Click on Restore default settings for this plan.
    • Click on Change advance power settings.
    • Scroll down and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Expand Power button actions.
    • Click on the Setting and set it to Shut down.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Jun 16, 2019
Thema:

May Update issues with Power settings

1. May Update issues with Power settings - Similar Threads - May Update issues

2. Sleep/Power settings issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep/Power settings issue: I have a W10 machine running latest updates. I have set power to sleep after 15 minutes, but it shuts down instead of going to sleep. I have tried going through all power & sleep settings to no avail. Possibly a registry setting? Anyone have advice?...
  3. Sleep/Power settings issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sleep/Power settings issue: I have a W10 machine running latest updates. I have set power to sleep after 15 minutes, but it shuts down instead of going to sleep. I have tried going through all power & sleep settings to no avail. Possibly a registry setting? Anyone have advice?...
  4. Sleep/Power settings issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. setting or application issue may be.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    setting or application issue may be.: my step recording file is not saved why.? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-or-application-issue-may-be/e34606ca-39bf-4888-86a4-5d194fed04ef
  6. setting or application issue may be.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    setting or application issue may be.: my step recording file is not saved why.? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-or-application-issue-may-be/e34606ca-39bf-4888-86a4-5d194fed04ef
  7. setting or application issue may be.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 May Update Issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 May Update Issue: For some reason the May 2020 update says it's still "on its way." Everything else is fine, and I still get and install windows updates. Just had to restart after one last night in fact. No problems there. Currently using an Eluktronics MAX-17. Has an i7-10875H CPU and an RTX...
  9. Explorer.exe on May update spacing issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer.exe on May update spacing issue: https://imgur.com/a/8srHSbh Just got the update and now everything is spaced out in explorer.exe . Anyone know how I can go back? submitted by /u/mu7x [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gzynek/explorerexe_on_may_update_spacing_issue/
  10. Kernel power error, may update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Kernel power error, may update: Has anyone else had event 41 kernel power error, (blue screen) after installing the May update? I converted to hexadecimal but couldn't find the reference on Microsoft.com Is this caused by the update? No malware, viruses etc found....