Windows 10: Maybe some other Win 10 Users - have same questions about Partitions

Discus and support Maybe some other Win 10 Users - have same questions about Partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have lots of questions about HD Partitions, and am post the Disk Management screen shot from my desktop a few minutes ago. Maybe someone could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by acmanten, Sep 10, 2015.

1. acmanten Win User

Maybe some other Win 10 Users - have same questions about Partitions

I have lots of questions about HD Partitions, and am post the Disk Management screen shot from my desktop a few minutes ago.

Maybe someone could tell me what each of these partitions are for, and why so many. ? MY Drive F: is a backup drive, and not much on it at this time.

My Drive C: is the one that has been upgraded from 8.1 to Windows 10. I am listing and will learn a lot from any/all comments.
    Attachment 36812
    Thanks for any comments about any or each of the partitions.
    Thanks. Cliff M.

:)

acmanten, Sep 10, 2015
  2. Chdslv Win User

Laptop won't boot after trying to install Windows 10

I downloaded that iso at the beginning. Then I created two partitions at the beginning of the hard disk. Then went on to install Win 10. It booted up. I went all the way to choose the primary partition and clicked next. Then it went into a loop
    without bringing in the next window "Windows Setup". After about 20 minutes, I put the laptop off to restart the process. But, the Windows 10 iso never booted, other than showing the windows logo and never ending loop.

I have created the iso again from another laptop, but the result is the same. So, the question; is there a way to reformat the hard disk, or is there a way to install Win 10 some other way, or did the laptop die?

Chdslv, Sep 10, 2015
  3. rcglider Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on multi-boot system.

> Many programs are designed to be installed to C

None of the programs I've used since the days of Windows 98 required installing to C, including Office, Visual Studio, ... . I do have some
    programs that install some or all content to the same partition as the currently running OS, while most programs allow most or all content to be installed on any partition. I don't have any programs that force an install to C.

That doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of programs that require install to C, it's just that I'm not using any of them.

Win NT, Win 95, Win 98, Win Me, Win 2000, Win XP, ... to Win 7 all have the option to install to any partition and without changing the OS partition to C . In the case of Win 7, the install needs to be started from XP or XP 64 (for Win 7 64 bit) to do
    this. Win 10 is the first Windows that apparently doesn't offer this option. My guess is that it's just an install issue and that Win 10 could run from any partition, any letter, if it wasn't for the install restriction.

The other issue is that I boot into Win 7, install the Win 10 cd-rom, run setup, and off it goes copying files, without any dialog to ask if I want to do clean install or upgrade. Maybe it gets there eventually, but I aborted it after several passes. I'll
    try the USB version later to see if that helps.

The USB utility was another issue, I had to run diskpart and then clean to clear out the USB MBR, otherwise, the USB image create utility would fail.

So back to the other guy asking about this, so far it doesn't seem that Win 10 can be installed without it relettering it's partition to C. It doesn't effect the partition letters seen by other OS'es when you multi-boot into them. I'm wondering how the image
    backup from Win 10 describes the boot partition when it doesn't have a letter.

rcglider, Sep 10, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

Cliff - as I recall, you used Macrium to clone Disk 0 onto Disk 2 - right? What is your plan for that? Are you just keeping that there as backup in case, when you install the SSD, things go pear shaped on you?

If so, I won't disrespect your choice but would suggest you might want to do that clone over again just before putting in the SSD in so that form of backup is more up to date.

Other than that, back up to an external drive would be best in the long run going forward - I think you've already posted you have an external hard drive for storing backup.

Word Man, Sep 10, 2015
  5. What makes me head scratch is the two recovery partitions. I have the recovery starter and a single 25 gig recovery partition.

JohnMidnight, Sep 10, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    When I upgrade my OS to Windows 10, it made two recovery partitions, one was active, 2nd one was not, both were 350 gigs, I removed both, and made them part of my primary partitions. I used MiniTool from boot disk. Gained back 700 gigs to my primary partition. I see no use for any recovery partition IF you make complete backups.

OldMike65, Sep 10, 2015
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Also looks like you have 3 recovery partitions on your C drive!!!!! Wow......Thought mine were messed up before, but yours is worse.
    But as long as it works for you and don't brother you. That would drive me nuts. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Maybe some other Win 10 Users - have same questions about Partitions - Similar Threads - Maybe Users same

2. Question about Administrator access to other user's profile.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Administrator access to other user's profile.: I have been setting up and using Administrator and Standard user Local Accounts since before the Windows XP Era. I've come across a behavior in which I could use a more detailed explanation. As you know, if you are logged in as an administrator user, and you navigate to the...
  3. Question about Administrator access to other user's profile.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Administrator access to other user's profile.: I have been setting up and using Administrator and Standard user Local Accounts since before the Windows XP Era. I've come across a behavior in which I could use a more detailed explanation. As you know, if you are logged in as an administrator user, and you navigate to the...
  4. I have some questions about Windows 10..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have some questions about Windows 10..: Right now i'm using Windows 10 for about 3 years.. Iknow how to make it Faster and reduce lagg and speed it up but i want to know if there is more to do than just Disabling/deleting the inbuilt-apps and crap but i didn't disabled The telemetry because it will mess things...
  5. I have 2 questions about Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have 2 questions about Win 10: How can I stop Win10 changing my custom file associations back to the Win defaults? I like to have music/images/text files open with 3rd party programs of my choosing but they keep getting changed back. And I don't know what I've done with jpegs but now Win won't let me...
  6. A question about Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about Win 10: I keep running into this thing called "Group Policy" when I am looking up a "how to do something" online. What is this "Group Policy" bit all about? Steve 131919
  7. a question about partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    a question about partitions: [img] I would like 2 know if its possible to some how reclaim the unallocated space and merge it back with C: windows drive... I know disk management wont allow it because the unallocated space isn't adjacent to the main partition... the 2 smaller recovery partitions...
  8. Some questions about Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Some questions about Win 10: I have Win 10 Home Single Language installed. There's a new Insider Preview build v 10565 available and Treshold 2 is coming out in November. Is there ever going to be a final version of Win 10. I've also read that MS will be coming out with "Redstone" next year. Will that...
  9. Some questions about updating an Acer laptop to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Some questions about updating an Acer laptop to Win 10: My neighbour has a late model Acer 17" with Windows 8.1 64bit and wants to update to Windows 10. What "precautions" should one take? Is there a web link to some cautionary info? If this will not work out, is it still possible to roll back? Thanks in advance 52114
  10. Questions about win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions about win 10: Hello I am very old win 7 user, so after upgrade i make this steps and i wonder if i make it right I download windows 10 using the tool from Microsoft, and get ISO file, put it on USB using Microsoft USB, DVD tool and i start format my laptop and system partition...