Windows 10: MBR has moved from C:

Discus and support MBR has moved from C: in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; "System" just means "this is the volume I booted from". There is no data there to copy - your boot files are already on C. @lx07 Sorry but this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RatherBeFishing, Mar 18, 2018.

1. topgundcp Win User

MBR has moved from C:

@lx07
    Sorry but this is incorrect.

@OP
    Currently your Windows is on C drive on disk 0 but the Windows Boot Manager is on disk 1.
    The Boot Manager has the the following hidden Files/Folder in order to boot:
    NOTE: To see these Files/Folder. Set Folder Options to show Hidden Files/Folders

MBR has moved from C: [​IMG]

In order to move these Files/Folders to C: drive, download a non commercial copy of: EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies
    Install->run then follow the steps in the screen shot to move the boot manager to C:

MBR has moved from C: [​IMG]

Once done the Active flag should be in C: drive, all others will be set to Inactive.
    Make sure disk 0 is the first boot order in BIOS then Reboot.

topgundcp, Mar 21, 2018
  2. bro67 Win User

The "Master Boot Record" or MBR does not move off of a drive. It just points where the partitions are on that drive, files, active and non-active sectors, bad sectors, etc.. If it is not on a drive, you cannot access those files or drive.

bro67, Mar 21, 2018
  3. Hi topgundcp,

Thanks for the reply, I have downloaded the EasyBCD software and it looks good!

I now just need to pluck up the courage to press the go button, the trouble is I do at least have a working system
    which I would hate to lose and have to start again.

I have made a rescue DVD using Macrium Reflect, but have not had good results from supposed backups over the years!

RatherBeFishing, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

MBR has moved from C:

1. MBR has moved from C: - Similar Threads - MBR has moved

2. Moving folders from onedrive to c:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving folders from onedrive to c:/: Just recd new laptop with Win11. Do not like way MS has structured to dop my files under onedrive. Do not want Onedrive backup or files hidden deeply in file structure. I prefer files to be under c directory for easy access. Have been relocating to this drive. DOCUMENTS...
  3. Moving folders from onedrive to c:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving folders from onedrive to c:/: Just recd new laptop with Win11. Do not like way MS has structured to dop my files under onedrive. Do not want Onedrive backup or files hidden deeply in file structure. I prefer files to be under c directory for easy access. Have been relocating to this drive. DOCUMENTS...
  4. C: drive has been moved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: drive has been moved: My C: drive is now showing as an external drive of the computer. When creating a backup file on Quicken I inadvertently typed a SMALL c: and now it is not recognized as my computer DEVICE. How do I restore it?...
  5. C: drive has been moved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive has been moved: My C: drive is now showing as an external drive of the computer. When creating a backup file on Quicken I inadvertently typed a SMALL c: and now it is not recognized as my computer DEVICE. How do I restore it?...
  6. C: drive has been moved

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. moving windows from C: to D:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving windows from C: to D:: Is this safe and possible cause I have a ssd that is almost full and i want to move the whole windows folder to data which I think is hdd but I don't know how or if it is safe to do so without any damage done....
  8. Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .: I have an issue in moving my win 10 system from one computer to another MBR on old, GPT on new. I have been unable to get an MBR Win10 image from a working computer to work on a GPT system. MBR2GPT throws error, rebuilding with BCDBOOT doesn't work. At this point, I've...
  9. move mbr to new drive

move mbr to new drive: I have two drives, each with windows 10 installed, my old samsung 850 pro and a new samsung 970 evo plus (both 500GB). Right now when I boot up my PC windows asks me which drive I want to run and it boots into whichever drive is chosen. The problem is that I want to wipe the...
  10. I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10

I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10: I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10. With the USB, do I need to "boot with EFI" from inside BIOS? or can I boot normally but then configure as GPT install per above? Edit: Also, does the BIOS need to be changed or does it figure it out MBR vs GPT? (I have an older...