Windows 10: MBR has moved from C:

Discus and support MBR has moved from C: in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I found out by chance that my system files have moved from my C: drive to a small 2.5 inch HDD that i salvaged from an old laptop and used as a backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RatherBeFishing, Mar 18, 2018.

1. MBR has moved from C:

I found out by chance that my system files have moved from my C: drive to a small 2.5 inch HDD that i salvaged from an old laptop and used as a backup drive.

Here's a screen shot of Disk Management if it helps.

MBR has moved from C: [​IMG]

How do I restore my system and MBR to C: on Disk 0 and my E: to Disk 1 with just my backup on it?

Regards
    Les

:)

RatherBeFishing, Mar 18, 2018
  2. tjmoes Win User

Win10 Installed 32-bit not 64-bit?

that was a good link but it seems if i delete the partition it turns out its the recovery partition that has the mbr and if i change to the c-drv part. as active partive windows wont start its looking for the mbr

tjmoes, Mar 18, 2018
  3. 'System Reserve' has appeared on my non-OS (secondary) hard drive after Windows 10 installation. How to delete?

Hi Elliot -

To move the Bootmgr to C, download and install
    EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required)

1) Choose BCD Backup/Repair Tab.

2) Select Change boot drive

3) Click button to Perform Action

In the popup confirm the New Boot Drive says C, click OK.

Reboot PC, confirm in Disk Mgmt that C is now marked System Active Boot. You can now delete System Reserved in Disk Mgmt, repartition the drive as a data drive. Since Windows can only recognize 2tb in the MBR disk format, I would convert the data drive
    to GPT before creating your data partitions.
    Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 18, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

MBR has moved from C:

Your mbr hasn't moved - on BIOS PCs the MBR is just the first track on the disk. You are booting disk 1 rather than disk 0 which really isn't a problem. This is because your BIOS has disk 1 higher in it's list than disk 0.

Your issue is you are seeing disk 1 (partition "Expansion Drive") as system.

Easiest thing to do would be to mark this partition as inactive in diskpart:

• select disk 1
    • select partition 1
    • inactive

Then reboot.

Make sure you have some sort of bootable Windows (installation USB for example) before you start. If you do you can boot from that and correct any mistakes.

Alternatively you could check BIOS and make sure disk0 is top of the list. In either case you don't want more than one active partition.

5. Bree New Member
    A Recovery Drive is another example. You can make that yourself...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

6. Thanks both of you, just need to pluck up courage now!

7. Bree New Member
    Do come back to this thread and ask further questions if you have any doubts about how to proceed.

8. MBR has moved from C:

Just tried booting from C: but get the BSOD with error code 0xc000000e!

Macrium Reflect tells me there is an MBR 1 on Disk 0 and an MBR 2 on Disk 1, could the Disk 0 one be corrupted?

Can I copy the system files from the Expansion drive to the C: drive without losing my Progs and data on C: ?

9. Plankton Win User
    Question: Does both HDD's have a OS on them? I only ask because you stated that you salvaged the 2nd drive from a laptop. In your last post you state that you now have 2 MBRs, one on each disk which to me indicates that each HDD has a OS on it. That being said, did you format the drive (wipe it clean) before using it in your current system?

Plankton, Mar 18, 2018
  10. The disk I salvaged has been formatted several times since it was installed.

11. lx07 Win User
    You don't need to copy anything. Mark disk 1 (called disk 2 in Macrium as it starts counting from one not zero for some reason) inactive and then restart.

"System" just means "this is the volume I booted from". There is no data there to copy - your boot files are already on C.

Occasionally you need to edit mbr (track 0) but at this point you don't.

Just to test disconnect drive 1 and see if it still boots.

If it does we are back to post #2 - change your boot order or make disk 1 (in the Windows not Macrium sense) inactive. It will then boot fine from disk 0 without copying anything. Probably.

Please understand though that "the mbr" is the data contained in track zero of "a mbr" partitioned disk containing code telling your BIOS what to boot. This is not the same as mbr (as opposed to gpt) partitioning. One is a verb and the other a noun *Smile

12. SIW2 Win User
    There seems to be a problem with the bcd store. It should be on Disk 0 part 2. ( E)

Try running startup repair from booted recovery/installation media.

That is normal. Each initialized disk will have an mbr ( on uefi systems it is called a protective mbr ).

13. MBR has moved from C:

I have tried in Windows Disk management and in Macrium to mark Disk 1 as inactive but it does not appear as an option.

If I physically disconnect that disk 1, I get the BSOD.

If I disconnect the C: drive it can't find Windows.

14. lx07 Win User
    Use diskpart as in post #2 - that will let you mark disk 1 inactive.

try "bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:" from command prompt - that should rebuild boot entry for you specifying C as your system partition.

See Repair Windows BCD

EDIT:
    I'm not sure about that - the boot files are on C - E is not currently used for anything as far as I can see. If system will boot with system being C and disk 1 inactive then E can be moved/deleted. At the moment E is doing nothing...

I could be wrong and perhaps "bcdboot C:\Windows /s E:" would be another option to try if the first doesn't work.

15. I can't understand why Disk 0 shows Drive E: and Drive C:

Disk 1 Shows Expansion Drive which is the same 2.5" disk as E: how did these get separated?

If I disconnect the cables on E: I get the BSOD.
    If I disconnect the cables on C: it goes through the startup but can't find Windows

The C: drive does not appear to have system files on it and is not marked as active.

The E: drive is not empty it has 1.11GB of data on it and the "Expansion Drive" (same 2.5" disk as E) has 383.3GB of what appears to be system files on it and is also marked as active.

The BIOS also shows the 2.5" disk (E) as being the first boot disk.

RatherBeFishing, Mar 19, 2018
Thema:

MBR has moved from C:

1. MBR has moved from C: - Similar Threads - MBR has moved

2. Moving folders from onedrive to c:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving folders from onedrive to c:/: Just recd new laptop with Win11. Do not like way MS has structured to dop my files under onedrive. Do not want Onedrive backup or files hidden deeply in file structure. I prefer files to be under c directory for easy access. Have been relocating to this drive. DOCUMENTS...
  3. Moving folders from onedrive to c:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving folders from onedrive to c:/: Just recd new laptop with Win11. Do not like way MS has structured to dop my files under onedrive. Do not want Onedrive backup or files hidden deeply in file structure. I prefer files to be under c directory for easy access. Have been relocating to this drive. DOCUMENTS...
  4. C: drive has been moved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: drive has been moved: My C: drive is now showing as an external drive of the computer. When creating a backup file on Quicken I inadvertently typed a SMALL c: and now it is not recognized as my computer DEVICE. How do I restore it?...
  5. C: drive has been moved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive has been moved: My C: drive is now showing as an external drive of the computer. When creating a backup file on Quicken I inadvertently typed a SMALL c: and now it is not recognized as my computer DEVICE. How do I restore it?...
  6. C: drive has been moved

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. moving windows from C: to D:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving windows from C: to D:: Is this safe and possible cause I have a ssd that is almost full and i want to move the whole windows folder to data which I think is hdd but I don't know how or if it is safe to do so without any damage done....
  8. Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .: I have an issue in moving my win 10 system from one computer to another MBR on old, GPT on new. I have been unable to get an MBR Win10 image from a working computer to work on a GPT system. MBR2GPT throws error, rebuilding with BCDBOOT doesn't work. At this point, I've...
  9. move mbr to new drive

move mbr to new drive: I have two drives, each with windows 10 installed, my old samsung 850 pro and a new samsung 970 evo plus (both 500GB). Right now when I boot up my PC windows asks me which drive I want to run and it boots into whichever drive is chosen. The problem is that I want to wipe the...
  10. I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10

I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10: I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10. With the USB, do I need to "boot with EFI" from inside BIOS? or can I boot normally but then configure as GPT install per above? Edit: Also, does the BIOS need to be changed or does it figure it out MBR vs GPT? (I have an older...