Windows 10: MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

Discus and support MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Fishy31, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Fishy31 Win User

MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

Hi there,

I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it.

Anybody know how I did this?!?!

TIA

:)

Fishy31, Apr 12, 2020

2. New 4TB Hard Drive Read As 1.6TB

The 4TB drive only shows 1.6TB, there always are two reasons for that:

1.The 4TB hard drive has been initialized to a wrong partition table. If you find a formatted hard drive not showing full capacity, which is mainly because you format the
    4TB hard drive to MBR partition table. As we all know, MBR partition table cannot address to the space that exceeds 2TB. As a result, to use a full capacity of a hard drive that is larger than 2TB, you need to initialize it to GPT partition table
    via
    an MBR to GPT converter

2.The 4TB external hard drive does not connect correctly. Some portable hard drive and USB hard drive are designed to connect a PC via a USB port. If you install the USB hard drive to your computer, the hard drive capacity detecting may
    become an issue. An accepted explanation is the controller board of USB hard drive breaks the 2TB limitation, yet Windows internal device controller does not. Therefore, you need to additional hardware to make the installed USB/portable hard drive showing
    full capacity. In that case, all you need to do is connecting the 4TB USB hard drive via USB port.

emilywang2, Apr 12, 2020
  3. Windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd on GPT partition with UEFI mode system.

Original Title: windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd

Hello,

I have a new Seagate 4tb hdd and gigabyte H110M motherboard (UEFI) in a desktop computer. When I install windows 10 x64 it only shows up as 2tb. I have converted the hdd to gpt partitioning (as apparently this is what I need to do to show whole hdd) but
    when I install win 10 it converts it back to mbr and still only shows it as 2tb. What do I need to do so windows installs in gpt format?

Thanks

Troy

TroySullivan, Apr 12, 2020
  4. Saidrex Win User

Problems with 4TB HDD

I tried that, it allows to use only 2TB of drive. Other space remains unallocated and it doesn't allow to create another partition.

Saidrex, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

1. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive - Similar Threads - MBR HDD partitions

2. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    clean whole 4tb hdd: Hello ,I have a device which have 2hdd at 4tb. I want to clean the whole disk app? How much time it will take to clean it using diskpart clean all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-whole-4tb-hdd/43f61293-7f08-406a-a8f2-0235a9fe4243
  3. Clean All on a 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clean All on a 4TB HDD: I have a question. I have a Sinology NAS with 2 hdd at 4TB. It crashed I want to fully clean the hdd. How many hours will will it take using Diskpart clean All. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-all-on-a-4tb-hdd/974c166c-507b-4cce-a273-0adf9ccf29ae
  4. Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD: Hi I need help. I spent an entire day trying to figure this out only to fail so I need help. I want to upgrade my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD. What I have: Partitions in order 1TB MBR HDD: System Reserved 500MB, (C:) 930GB, Recovery Partition 482MB 4TB GPT SSD: Unformatted...
  5. How to install Windows on a 4TB HDD without losing 2TB from it being in MBR?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to install Windows on a 4TB HDD without losing 2TB from it being in MBR?: I'm trying to install Windows 10 onto a 4TB harddrive by plugging it into my computer, moving the Win10 ISO files onto the drive, then activating it in DiskPart. However, I am unable to activate the partition unless the drive is in MBR format, but if I do that, 2TB of the HDD...
  6. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  7. Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR: New to the group and boy do I have a good one! The other day when I booted up my desktop PC, I noticed a majority of my desktop icons had lost there images alerting me that something had went direly wrong. I opened My PC to inspect my HDD contents and I was shocked by what I...
  8. I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT?: I plugged my new, empty Western Digital 4TB external drive into my old PC, and it is a MBR HDD. The PC is too old to have UEFI. I want the drive to be as reliable as possible and to work on my new (UEFI) PC as well. Should I convert it to GPT now? Both PCs are on Windows...
  9. Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD: I have C: for OS, D: for my documents. I use for game dev, mostly using Phoshop, Unity Which one of the follow options have better performance? 2 HDD (1 for OS, 1 for documents) 1 HDD 2 Partitions (1 for OS, 1 for documents) 62047
  10. Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive: I am really really frustrated and could use any help anyone can give. My computer is a Dell XPS8300 with the last BIOS they put out for this system... I have a Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM000) drive that is setup GPT and had 2 partitions on it (D:, E*Smile and worked fine in...