Windows 10: MBR or GPT ????

Discus and support MBR or GPT ???? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by icacream, Mar 9, 2018.

1. icacream Win User

MBR or GPT ????

hello,
    I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10
    got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk
    I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk
    I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh
    I intend to back up my C drive with Macrium Reflect (following the tutorial careful step by careful step !!!)
    so... what should I select, please... (and why, if it's not too complicated to explain)
    thanks *Smile

:)

icacream, Mar 9, 2018
  2. qinada Win User

Windows Installation

On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. If you use MBR disk, you will receive this error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. You can convert MBR to GPT and try it again.

qinada, Mar 9, 2018
  3. Smittychat., Mar 9, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

MBR or GPT ????

Honestly, it really doesn't matter.

GPT is required for larger disks (there is a limit on MBR of 2TB) and is also a requirement (sometimes) for EUFI booting. You are talking about a small backup disk.

I would use GPT for the simple reason it keeps 2 copies of the partition table - one at the start and a recovery one at the end. MBR doesn't. If you get partition table damage you are more likely to be able to recover it on GPT formatted disk.

lx07, Mar 9, 2018
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    MBR is also limited to 3 Primary partitions, then you have to use Logical partitions, which are not bootable. GPT has no practical limit on number of Primary partitions.

MiniTool and utilities like it can convert MBR > GPT, and vice-versa.

f14tomcat, Mar 9, 2018
  6. icacream Win User
    Thanks to both of you !
    since you concur on GPT, that's my choice !
    *Smile

icacream, Mar 9, 2018
  7. Bat 1 Win User
    I use a different Cloning program and always make a sector by sector copy of the entire disk so I always use whatever the source disk in initialized.

Bat 1, Mar 9, 2018
  8. MBR or GPT ????

Hi,
    GPT on a 120gb ssd is sort of silly it's too small all it needs is a system reserved and MBR that's all.

ThrashZone, Mar 9, 2018
  9. lx07 Win User
    It's a data drive not a boot drive...

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

MBR or GPT ????

1. MBR or GPT ???? - Similar Threads - MBR GPT

2. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work: HiIm trying to convert my boot disk to GPT so I could boot to UEFI rather than legacy mode.I try to go GPT but it says this on CMD:I tried to follow another guy with the same problem adding 200mb of free memory:But still it didnt work.What do I do?...
  3. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work: HiIm trying to convert my boot disk to GPT so I could boot to UEFI rather than legacy mode.I try to go GPT but it says this on CMD:I tried to follow another guy with the same problem adding 200mb of free memory:But still it didnt work.What do I do?...
  4. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  6. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  7. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  8. MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop

MBR to GPT; 25GB Factory Recovery partition for windows; ASUS laptop: I have an ASUS laptop with a 25GB factory recovery partition of 64bit windows on MBR disk drive. Since this partition contains the image of windows 64bit which should support UEFI and GPT, will I be able to use this partition for factory recovery if I convert my drive from...
  9. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4
  10. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4