Windows 10: MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI

Discus and support MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; recently upgraded hard drive to 1 TB on a dell inspiron 1525. I need to do 3 things. update DOS when i dont have the power requirements 0% not 10% as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Diana-Morrissey, Mar 9, 2020.

1. MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI

recently upgraded hard drive to 1 TB on a dell inspiron 1525. I need to do 3 things.

1. update DOS when i dont have the power requirements 0% not 10% as required. Trying to create a bootable usb has proven more difficult than i imagined to "forceit";
    2. with the new HD, i NEED to change it from mbr to gtp; and
    3. i also need to change from dos to uefi and to do this i need to disable secure boot. my dos doesn't have that option.

What can i do to fix these issues other than buy a new system i cant afford.

I hope someone can help me.

:)

Diana-Morrissey, Mar 9, 2020

2. MBR to UEFI conversion

When attempting to convert my 500 gb Western digital Black from Win 10 version 1909 MBR to UEFI using Microsoft's recommended procedure I keep getting, during validation attempts, the error message that the disk cannot be validated for conversion, and
    file size is 512 bytes. MBR is on the disk, and Crystal Disk reports no disk problems. Any suggestions?

DharmanStortz, Mar 9, 2020
  3. MBR to UEFI conversion

In addition to the good explanation that Greg provided, I would like to add a technical distinction:

The UEFI is akin to firmware while the MBR is a partitioning method. So you would compare the UEFI to the BIOS, and the MBR to the GPT. You wouldn't speak of converting MBR to UEFI.

I said that the UEFI is akin to firmware, because it's not really firmware. The BIOS really is firmware, because it resides on a chip on the motherboard. But the UEFI is programmable software that sits between the computer’s hardware and the operating
    system.

The only compelling reason to convert your hard drive from MBR to GPT is if you need to have more than 4 primary partitions on the drive. MBR is limited to 4 primary partitions. And then, since GPT can't be run from the BIOS, you would need to use the UEFI.

The UEFI has many technical improvements over the BIOS, to be sure, but considering the uncertainty inherent in converting old hardware, there isn't really a good reason to attempt converting from BIOS to UEFI other than the satisfaction in pulling off a
    complicated maneuver.

0dcafe6b-10a8-4bc9-b8b2-213ccfc2f28c, Mar 9, 2020
  4. bL1nd3R Win User

MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI

My ProBook 6540b won't boot.

Does it matter if the usb is made for GTP or MBR partition , or the boot mode ( EFI , UEFI ) ?

bL1nd3R, Mar 9, 2020
Thema:

MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI

1. MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI - Similar Threads - MBR GTP DOS

2. Stuck in MBR in UEFI, please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in MBR in UEFI, please help: Hello, my boot situation is a disaster. I’m running Windows 10. I was on the 500mg Samsung SSD over SATA and I’m pretty sure it was BIOS/MBR. I wanted to clone to a new NVME drive, the Samsung 2TB seen in the images. I’m on a Z87 board so I did the AMBIOS hack to add the UEFI...
  3. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  4. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  5. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. FREE-DOS on UEFI

FREE-DOS on UEFI: Good evening community, I was reading a lot on the internet (in that forum, google, etc.) and i found some threads about that problem. Everywhere it shows up that it doesnt work to install Free-Dos on UEFI-bootmode systems. But the curious: I orderd 1 week ago the "HP...
  7. Hybrid (UEFI / MBR) ISO's -- UEFI BOOT (CSM)

Hybrid (UEFI / MBR) ISO's -- UEFI BOOT (CSM): Hi folks recently I couldn't get some newer iso's from UUPDUMP to boot using RUFUS V 10 to create bootable usb sticks when these isos are HYBRID boot (i.e they can boot either MBR or UEFI). However changing the BIOS options to enabling UEFI boot (CSM module) as well as UEFI...
  8. MBR to UEFI conversion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to UEFI conversion: When attempting to convert my 500 gb Western digital Black from Win 10 version 1909 MBR to UEFI using Microsoft's recommended procedure I keep getting, during validation attempts, the error message that the disk cannot be validated for conversion, and file size is 512 bytes....
  9. UEFI or MBR ?

UEFI or MBR ?: I 'm making a bootable usb flash drive with Rufus to install Windows 10 as a dual boot with Windows 8.1. When I installed my new video card I had to disable safe boot and enable legacy support in the bios. When I make the bootable flash drive should I choose UEFI or MBR? 1969
  10. MBR/UEFI issues

MBR/UEFI issues: My motherboard is UEFI compliant, however it was set up in MBR mode, I'm now receiving messages from Microsoft saying my PC will not be updated after 10 April because it is not set up in UEFI mode. I understand that to set up in UEFI mode all data on HD will be lost. I...