Windows 10: mbr2gpt Failed - (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1)

Discus and support mbr2gpt Failed - (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to change my BIOS from Legacy to UEFI mode. This is necessary in order to have support for storage devices of greater than 2TB capacity and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BuffaloRider, Dec 3, 2019.

1. mbr2gpt Failed - (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1)

I am trying to change my BIOS from Legacy to UEFI mode. This is necessary in order to have support for storage devices of greater than 2TB capacity and for getting an SSD Card (PCIe) to work.

My hp Z620 Workstation is running Windows 10, version 1809. It has two disk drives in it. The "System" Volume is on Disk 0 (a 500GB Disk Drive), and the OS and "Boot" Volume is on Disk 1 (a 1.0 TB Disk Drive). Disk 0 has only one volume - the entire disk. Disk 1 has two Volumes, the OS/Boot Volume and a data Volume.

To run the tool mbr2gpt.exe ...
    I logged off the USER side of Windows and logged into the Administrative side. While in the Administrative side, I brought up the (black colored) Command Window, in Administrative mode. In the Command Window I typed the following:
    >mbr2gpt.exe /validate /disk:1 /allowFullOS

I get the following failure: "Disk Layout Validation Failed for Disk 1." When I look into the setuperr and the setupact log files, I get additional information. It says "Validation Layout: Wrong boot partition count, expected 1 but found 0."

Anyone know how to fix this?

I have already researched this quite a bit. For example 'IT Army' has a couple really good videos on youtube, but the solutions do not work for me or do not apply. I have read many forum entries, different sites, to no avail.

I suspect this is the problem, but I don't know for sure: My 'System' Volume and my OS/'Boot' Volume were installed on different hard drives. (The OS was on the system when I bought it).

:)

BuffaloRider, Dec 3, 2019
  2. wfarid Win User

MBR2GPT Not Working (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1)

mbr2gpt Failed - (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1) [​IMG]

It's a custom system, specs below:

Intel 8700k
    Gigabyte Auroras Gaming 5 Z370 Motherboard
    32 GB Kinston HyperX Ram
    Samsung 960 EVO 512 nvme m.2 ssd
    1 TB SATA Drive
    Gigabyte Auroras Nvidia 1080ti

wfarid, Dec 3, 2019
  3. MBR2GPT: Disk layout validation failed for disk 0

When trying to convert to GPT, I get this error:

Here's diskpart info:

And here's a picture of disk management:

mbr2gpt Failed - (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1) wAARn.png

I've tried shrinking the storage by a few GB in case it was the issue, but no luck. I'm kinda out of ideas. Maybe the recovery partition counts as a primary partition and thus I go over the 3 primary maximum? It shouldn't, but that's the only idea I have left.

Niko Matikainen, Dec 3, 2019
  4. wfarid Win User

mbr2gpt Failed - (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1)

MBR2GPT Not Working (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1)

Hi there, I keep getting this error when trying to convert my system from MBR to GPT.

I had a system made for me (for work) and the company installed my OS in legacy mode... I have two drives, one 512gb NVME Samsung 960 EVO and one Seagate 1 TB disk drive.

I'm booting into command prompt mode (from advanced recovery options) and running the command mbr2gpt /validate /disk:1 .

I had one partition only and even shrunk it by 3 Gigs (unallocated) just to give the tool space (it worked for other users) however I ran into the same issue even after doing that.

Just another note, the 1tb drive (non os) has a System Reserve Partition of 500mb

Any suggestions?

wfarid, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

mbr2gpt Failed - (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1)

1. mbr2gpt Failed - (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1) - Similar Threads - mbr2gpt Failed Disk

2. Burn to disk failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Burn to disk failed: I have Windows 10 Home 1903 and I have been using Burn to Disk to burn CDs and DVDs for about two years. Two weeks ago, the function failed. Now I'm told that the burn failed and the disk may be unusable. I have an installed burner and two USB burners. I'm getting the same...
  3. Initializing a disk fails.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Initializing a disk fails.: Initializing a disk fails with this error: cyclic redundacy check. Is there a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/initializing-a-disk-fails/a94fdebc-7215-439f-97d6-8bd22065f248
  4. MBR2GPT Not Working (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR2GPT Not Working (Disk Layout validation failed for disk 1): Hi there, I keep getting this error when trying to convert my system from MBR to GPT. I had a system made for me (for work) and the company installed my OS in legacy mode... I have two drives, one 512gb NVME Samsung 960 EVO and one Seagate 1 TB disk drive. I'm booting...
  5. Disk part failed to clear disk attributes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk part failed to clear disk attributes: I have read the information on this page below and found it very interesting but it hasn't solved my problem unfortunately. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...e-windows.html A couple of days ago a got an update from Windows 10 and let it download and install now...
  6. Is this disk layout an issue?

Is this disk layout an issue?: I converted my system to two RAID 0 2 TB SSDs, so I have one C: drive using both SSDs. I created the RAID 0 array using Ctrl-I on boot. I then restored a Macrium image. After I did that, I booted up Windows 10 Pro, and I looked at Disk Management, and I thought I would see...
  7. Hard disk failing, robust backup strategy, raid 1?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Hard disk failing, robust backup strategy, raid 1?: Hello All, Great forum, has helped me setup a backup strategy I am happy with... since discovering the forum I have: Found my E drive (2TB Seagate) is slowly dying (using Crystal disk info); Copied all data, with only minor loses, to my F drive (another 1TB Seagate);...
  8. Hard disk failed and chkdsk?

Hard disk failed and chkdsk?: I have a disk that mainly contains data files. My disk have bad sectors and some of the files cannot be moved to another disk (it will stuck when moving and never complete 100%), most files are still normal (can read/edit/move). My Macrium reflect software is unable to do a...
  9. Create Rescue Disk fails during disk creation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Create Rescue Disk fails during disk creation: Have a new Double Power 8.1 Tablet that I've upgraded to Win 10. Now I've got it set up just right, I'm attempting to create a Rescue Disk. Purchased a 16gb micro-usb drive which is successfully recognized. Ran 'Create Rescue Disk' from Windows search and checked 'copy system...
  10. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail: So I bought a new WD Black 6TB disk and I decided to reinstall my windows 10 (using a recovery disk) on the new hard drive. However, I tried to do it and the title error came up. I have tried many fixed including formatting the drive, using diskpart e.t.c. I need urgent help....