Windows 10: MBR2GPT - recovery possibility preparation

Discus and support MBR2GPT - recovery possibility preparation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi! I'm about to change my windows 10 pro x64 from legacy to uefi using mbr2gpt. It is quite big change to to basic structure. I'm thinking now how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by laakspen, Nov 28, 2017.

1. laakspen Win User

MBR2GPT - recovery possibility preparation

Hi!
    I'm about to change my windows 10 pro x64 from legacy to uefi using mbr2gpt.
    It is quite big change to to basic structure.
    I'm thinking now how to get back if something goes wrong in this process.

If I take from windows 10 "windows 7 backup and restore" based system image from my system which is on drive C: , can I restore current mbr-legacy system based windows from this backup if something fails in mbr2gpt?

BR

:)

laakspen, Nov 28, 2017

2. No Command Prompt in Advanced Startup

no, sorry, the video didn't help with my question.

I went back to command prompt, and I found the file using "g:\windows\system32\dir mbr2gpt.exe" instead of "g:\windows\system32\dir mbr2gpt"

however, any command I enter, such as "g:\windows\system32\mbr2gpt /?" or "g:\windows\system32\mbr2gpt /validate" will just return back to "g:\windows\system32\"

EricFeng8808, Nov 28, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 28, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

In a perfect world, yes. However, you will find many here recommend a more user friendly and reliable backup and restore solution like Macrium Reflect. Details on using it can be found in this tutorial: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Windows' native imaging (carried over from Win 7) can be very particular and easy for less experienced users to get reliable results with - not to say that is necessarily the case for you. Microsoft themselves have stated this feature will be deprecated from Win 10 and recommend reliable third party solutions like I pointed you to above.

Word Man, Nov 28, 2017
  5. laakspen Win User
    Hi!
    Thanks.
    Now I know two solutions to be in safe.
    BR

laakspen, Nov 28, 2017
  6. Word Man Win User
    No problem, Laakspen. Best of luck!

Let us know if you have further questions regarding above and consider marking the thread "solved" if you feel that is so.

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. MBR2GPT - recovery possibility preparation - Similar Threads - MBR2GPT recovery possibility

2. MBR2GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR2GPT: Hi y'all,I just got new GPU and wanna enable Rebar and I need drives to be GPT and MBR2GPT tool isn't working and yes I tried reinstalling windows didn't work.Here is error:MBR2GPT: Attempting to validate disk 2MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of diskMBR2GPT: Validating layout,...
  3. Is it possible to turn on Secure Boot WITHOUT using mbr2gpt?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to turn on Secure Boot WITHOUT using mbr2gpt?: I've used Windows 11 two times, but I used a bypass system. This time I wanted to do it in legal way, however most of answers are to convert MBR to GPT using mbr2gpt, however, none of solutions were worked. I just wanna know, if it's actually possible to do that?...
  4. Is it possible to turn on Secure Boot WITHOUT using mbr2gpt?

Is it possible to turn on Secure Boot WITHOUT using mbr2gpt?: I've used Windows 11 two times, but I used a bypass system. This time I wanted to do it in legal way, however most of answers are to convert MBR to GPT using mbr2gpt, however, none of solutions were worked. I just wanna know, if it's actually possible to do that?...
  5. Is it possible to turn on Secure Boot WITHOUT using mbr2gpt?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Mbr2gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mbr2gpt: Hello Microsoft fraternity. I am trying to convert my disk from mbr to gpt so that I can change from legacy to UEFI. But I have only one disk that contains current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volumes which cannot be deleted using cmd. How do I proceed and...
  7. Mbr2gpt

Mbr2gpt: Hello Microsoft fraternity. I am trying to convert my disk from mbr to gpt so that I can change from legacy to UEFI. But I have only one disk that contains current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volumes which cannot be deleted using cmd. How do I proceed and...
  8. mbr2gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mbr2gpt: Ho bisogno di usare mbr2gpt per cambiare il formato di partizione del disco C del mio computer da MBR a GPT per potere completare i requisiti per aggiornare Windows 10 che ho installato sul disco a Windows 11. Eseguo il comando mbr2gpt/validate/disk:0/allowFullOS per...
  9. Error preparing automatic recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error preparing automatic recovery: I was doing some work on Google Docs when I took a break for dinner. When I came back, I powered it back on and it said ‘preparing automatic recovery’. The error code is 0xc0000185 and a file used to show up where it was broken, but it doesn’t show up anymore. Please...
  10. Preparing BitLocker recovery message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Preparing BitLocker recovery message: Recently I began receiving frequent "Preparing BitLocker recovery" messages when I start my Surface Book (Windows 10 Pro v1809 OS build 17763.316). Once I enter the recovery key the computer restarts with no other problems. My question is why I am receiving this message so...