Windows 10: McAfee and windows defender

Discus and support McAfee and windows defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have McAfee LiveSave installed on my windows 10 home edition which is taking over the Windows defender firewall. I am trying to add some... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ITAmaratek, Jun 22, 2020.

1. McAfee and windows defender

I have McAfee LiveSave installed on my windows 10 home edition which is taking over the Windows defender firewall. I am trying to add some restrictions in the windows defender firewall inbound policy but it seems to have no effect. I tried blocking port 445 but a netstat check shows it is still open and listening. How can I close this port? I checked the McAfee firewall setting and I don't think that port is configured to be open! Is windows defender completely disabled when an antivirus is installed? How can I still utilize the policies in windows defender firewall with the presence of McAfee antivirus?

:)

ITAmaratek, Jun 22, 2020

2. Conflict between McAfee and Windows Defender

Did you ask McAfee support (McAfee) and/or in their forum (McAfee Support Community)?

Try to

In case Windows Defender is still not disabled after doing the above steps, either

disable Windows Defender manually (see the Answer-marked post of GreginMich in

this
    thread)

or

use a REG file (see Option 2 here: Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 )

Jsssssssss, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Jsssssssss, Jun 22, 2020
  4. McAfee and windows defender

McAfee and Windows Defender

When a different antimalware protection product is installed, Windows Defender is disabled to make sure the two products do not interfere. In other words, McAfee tells Windows that McAfee is now protecting the system, and Windows therefore turns off Windows
    Defender.

There should be an uninstall entry for McAfee if you'd like to remove the trial. Go to Start | Settings | System | Apps & features to find McAfee's entry. Once you click on it, there should be an Uninstall button that'll kick off the uninstall steps.

Regards,

Aaron

This information is provided "AS IS" without warranty, and confers no rights.

Aaron Hulett - Former MSFT, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

McAfee and windows defender

1. McAfee and windows defender - Similar Threads - McAfee defender

2. Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender: I'e used McAfee antivirus for many years. Currently I'm using the Total Protection version in Windows 11, but it has the annoying habit of popping up unwanted ads for McAfee products that I don't want with no way to shut them off, so I want to replace it with Windows...
  3. Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender: I'e used McAfee antivirus for many years. Currently I'm using the Total Protection version in Windows 11, but it has the annoying habit of popping up unwanted ads for McAfee products that I don't want with no way to shut them off, so I want to replace it with Windows...
  4. which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg: Do I need ALL of the above mentioned and if not which is the best combination* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-of-the-following-is-needed-windows-defender/39790248-1b8e-4856-aaa8-88919bcb2bbf
  5. which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg

which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg: Do I need ALL of the above mentioned and if not which is the best combination* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-of-the-following-is-needed-windows-defender/39790248-1b8e-4856-aaa8-88919bcb2bbf
  6. How to activate windows Defender Antivirus after uninstalling the pre-installed McAfee...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to activate windows Defender Antivirus after uninstalling the pre-installed McAfee...: I want to switch from the pre-installed McAfee Antivirus to the WDA. For that I have uninstalled the McAfee antivirus from the device. But after that when I am trying to open the Virus protection settings in the windows defender software, this is the message I am getting:I...
  7. How to activate windows Defender Antivirus after uninstalling the pre-installed McAfee...

How to activate windows Defender Antivirus after uninstalling the pre-installed McAfee...: I want to switch from the pre-installed McAfee Antivirus to the WDA. For that I have uninstalled the McAfee antivirus from the device. But after that when I am trying to open the Virus protection settings in the windows defender software, this is the message I am getting:I...
  8. Do I need McAfee Advanced and Windows Defender both on my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need McAfee Advanced and Windows Defender both on my computer?: I purchased McAfee Advanced in July 2023, then in October 2023 Windows Defender automatically installed on my computer. Since then I can't get updates to my payroll service in Quickbooks. Do I need both or can I turn Defender off since I'm paying for the McAfee Advanced. How...
  9. Do I need McAfee Advanced and Windows Defender both on my computer?

Do I need McAfee Advanced and Windows Defender both on my computer?: I purchased McAfee Advanced in July 2023, then in October 2023 Windows Defender automatically installed on my computer. Since then I can't get updates to my payroll service in Quickbooks. Do I need both or can I turn Defender off since I'm paying for the McAfee Advanced. How...
  10. How do I switch from McAfee to Window Defender for antivirus protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I switch from McAfee to Window Defender for antivirus protection: How do I switch from McAfee antivirus protection to Windows Defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-switch-from-mcafee-to-window-defender-for/fc641720-c141-4dd5-8620-f52e994663cb