Windows 10: Mcafee Live safe Internet security

Discus and support Mcafee Live safe Internet security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. I have just bought a new HP Desktop computer with Windows 10. Home 64bit preload on it on 8/14/2015. It came with Mcafee Live safe Internet... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BDman, Aug 17, 2015.

1. BDman Win User

Mcafee Live safe Internet security

Hi.
    I have just bought a new HP Desktop computer with Windows 10. Home 64bit preload on it on 8/14/2015. It came with Mcafee Live safe Internet security that will expire on 9/13/2015 I would like to get some opinions on this his do I let it expire and start using windows defender or do I renew with Mcafee Live safe Internet Security? Thank you

:)

BDman, Aug 17, 2015

2. Will McAfee Live Safe interfere with Windows Defender?

Have McAfee Live Safe Internet Security on 30 day trial. Really want to use Windows Defender but want to know if having McAfee as a 'Vendor' application will cause problems?

Also McAfee updated recently & I find I now have two McAfee firewalls in operation.

Any suggestions?

* Moved from Windows 10 | Security

* Original title: Internet Security McAfee Live Safe

DeniseHiggs, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Dorene14 Win User
    MacAfee, Norton anti virus

If I have both norton and McAfee programs on my computer, do i need to remove both before installing Defender? What should I do if I already removed Norton and installed Windows Defender? Do I go back to remove both "McAfee Live Safe internet security"
    AND "McAfee Safe Key (uninstall only)" then reinstall Windows Defender?

Dorene14, Aug 17, 2015
  4. torre Win User

torre, Aug 18, 2015
  5. Borg 386 Win User
    The general consensus on Win 7 & 8 forums is that McAfee should itself be classified as a virus. It is very draconian & can cause problems with the OS. There is a post on Win 7 forums where you can weigh the pros/cons of different AV's as well as see the latest posts on the updated versions.

What's the Best Anti-virus? - Windows 7 Help Forums

Borg 386, Aug 18, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

McAfee is usually known as Mc AWEFUL -- resource HOG and doesn't really do the job.

Most of these packages are HOPELESS against the latest batch of "Rootkit" type infections --in particular those Ransomware attacks that pester you with popups saying your computer has malware - phone XXXX to fix it.

All these A/V systems do will be to say machine is clean when it MOST DEFINITELY IS NOT. The latest set of viruses are so deep seated that the OS itself can't usually detect them so you won't see any evidence in task manager, programs or whatever.

It's going to take a considerable while (if ever) for the A/V companies to come up with decent protection for this sort of stuff.

You really need to be 100% CAREFUL in where you surf.

Perversely Torrent sites can actually be SAFER than some "Innocent looking websites" !!!!!. Torrent sites need their income and if they are known as a source of Malware THEY LOSE big time - and the better / larger torrent sites are reasonably well Self Policed !!!!.

@Borg 386 -- A/V systems on W7 aren't actually relevant here since W7 has no Native built in security system --anything designed for W7 will by nature be HOPELESS for W10 --W10 has a security system built right into the OS -- now whether you think it's any good or not is another matter -- Jury still out on that one -- but it's a TOTALLY different mechanism to the W7 OS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 18, 2015
  7. Pash Win User
  8. Mcafee Live safe Internet security

Hi, @Pash:

If you have successfully run the MCPR removal tool at least once, then you are probably OK.

But if you want to verify that manually, you would navigate to these locations to be sure there are no McAfee remnants:

This PC > OS (C: ) > Program Files (x86)

This PC > OS (C: ) > ProgramData

(I assume you have your programs installed in a default location on the system drive, usually the "C:" drive.)

If you are not familiar working with or editing the Windows registry, it's probably best NOT to fiddle around there, especially without a registry backup. You might end up deleting something that ought not to be removed.

HTH,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Oct 14, 2016
  9. EdTittel Win User
    You can also download and use the free Revo Uninstaller program, which will remove all files and attempts various levels of registry cleanup after the file are removed. I've used it for a decade or longer, and it works quite well. I've never seen it damage a system -- but then I stick to "Safe" or "Moderate" uninstall modes:

Mcafee Live safe Internet security [​IMG]

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 14, 2016
  10. Pash Win User
    Thank you everyone
    I do this anyway This PC > OS (C: ) > Program Files (x86)

This PC > OS (C: ) > ProgramData
    I thought you meant something else my mistake
    Thanks again *Smile

11. A big DITTO on the recommendation to use the "Revo Uninstaller". There is a FREE version that works GREAT and I use it often, to get rid of unwanted software. I do use it in the Maximum uninstaller mode, to get rid of every possible bit of the offending software.

I also DITTO the comments from several members, that McAffee is NOT a good program to have on your PC, and should be removed ASAP.

Windows Defender is a good program, especially when used in concert with a GREAT Anti-Spyware program, like "Super Anti-Spyware FREE". When used correctly, and often, that will keep your PC free of PUPs and Tracking Cookies.

Good Luck,
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Oct 14, 2016
  12. Hi:

Revo is great (although I do not recall having needed to use it for a very long time on any of my systems).

However, for SECURITY applications (AVs, AMs, "internet security suites", etc.), it may be preferable first to use the software vendor's own, special removal tool. That removal tool would have been specifically designed to remove that particular vendor's product.
    There is an excellent list of these tools, compiled by @Slartybart, here:

Solved Anti Virus (AV) stand alone removal tools - Windows 10 Forums

I suppose there's no harm in using Revo Uninstaller for the occasional case where a standard uninstall + removal tool does not work...

Just my two cents and worth less.*Smile

MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Mcafee Live safe Internet security - Similar Threads - Mcafee Live safe

2. McAfee security pop-up.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    McAfee security pop-up.: I have a MS Surface Pro 3. I get a McAfee pop-up throughout every day telling me my computer is unprotected. What do I need to do, or how can I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/mcafee-security-pop-up/2182bd3b-40c2-4651-af32-dcd92c82b992
  3. Need for McAfee Live Safe

Need for McAfee Live Safe: I currently have Microsoft 365 and Windows 10. Do I still need McAfee Live Safe? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/need-for-mcafee-live-safe/3a04f60b-e687-4091-a69a-49694dbd571c
  4. Windows Defender and McAfee Internet Security etc. etc. etc.???

Windows Defender and McAfee Internet Security etc. etc. etc.???: Hello. First of all, on a scale from 1 to 10, my computer skills are about 3+/-. So be gentle please. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My IP gives me free McAfee Internet Security with my plan. I see so many conflicting views regarding the idea that all one...
  5. McAfee safe connect

McAfee safe connect: Any one know if "McAfee safe connect" is safe or should I remove it from my programs??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mcafee-safe-connect/27a3aea0-1ac9-41b4-84cc-d4c3a541d208"
  6. Mcafee safe connect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mcafee safe connect: i dont have a mcafee account but they have set up a direct debit continuous and i cant cancel it any ideas how to cancel this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mcafee-safe-connect/b09cd24d-a1cf-4f93-914e-994cb362f166
  7. Macafee Live Safe

Macafee Live Safe: How do I get this to uninstall? It will not let me from settings, I have logged out of account and tried to unpin from task bar but it still shows up. I have another virus protector but Macafee still keeps posting messages in tray...
  8. Macafee Live Safe

Macafee Live Safe: How do I get this to uninstall? It will not let me from settings, I have logged out of account and tried to unpin from task bar but it still shows up. I have another virus protector but Macafee still keeps posting messages in tray...
  9. McAfee security

McAfee security: Can someone please provide me with the tool to erase all of McAfee security again,as I have lost it. 33398
  10. Safely Uninstall Norton Internet Security?

Safely Uninstall Norton Internet Security?: Since installing Norton I've got two financial websites that I can't log into with IE-11 or MS Edge. Both browsers exhibit the exact same behavior. Both browsers allow me to log in to the sites and I'm immediately logged back out! Been through all the usual routines with no...