Windows 10: McAfee

Discus and support McAfee in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, when I bought this Dell Inspiron 15 5555, it came (No choice) with McAfee Antivirus. Now this is running out, and it wants me to renew for 2 Years... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by billt4g, Jan 30, 2017.

1. billt4g Win User

McAfee

Hi, when I bought this Dell Inspiron 15 5555, it came (No choice) with McAfee Antivirus. Now this is running out, and it wants me to renew for 2 Years (£69.99). So my question is, "Is this the best for me?" or what other alternatives can anyone suggest. What is the*package that most people use?*

How about the *“Windows Defender” that comes with Windows 10? Is this good enough? After all it comes preloaded. (But not used if another Antivirus is running)!

(Have to decide by tomorrow if I want their deal.)

:)

billt4g, Jan 30, 2017

2. mcafee

Hi, before 6 months i buy mcafee plus and i use it on my laptop (windows 8.1) and now i buy Desktop(windows 10) and is not work because of windows 10... what can i do to use Mcafee AntiVirus Plus?

kyriakossepos, Jan 30, 2017
  3. BRCjr Win User
    mcafee

My experience with McAfee and Windows 10 has prompted me to remove it at least until all major updates and builds of Windows 10 have been implemented. Updating has been much smoother and Defender uses less resources and one has many options in browser settings
    as to help one in security. Microsoft has made it pretty clear that they are not responsible for what might occur if third party software is added.

BRCjr, Jan 30, 2017
  4. McAfee

Dump McAfee and use Windows Defender
    I had McAfee on all my laptops and got rid off
    Windows Defender now doing the job and all ok

hTconeM9user, Jan 30, 2017
  5. Borg 386 Win User
    Borg 386, Jan 30, 2017
  6. billt4g Win User
    So you also think Windows Defender should be sufficient?

billt4g, Jan 31, 2017
  7. Yes I have only that on all my laptops and no trouble at all

hTconeM9user, Jan 31, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

McAfee

Me too, just Defender (and a little common sense, like not clicking links in strange emails).

9. billt4g Win User
    Thanks guys, I guess that makes up my mind.

billt4g, Jan 31, 2017
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Make sure you clear all remaining leftovers for McAfee. ProgramData folder; Probably the AppData (inside Users folder) and even some leftovers at Program Files\Common Files (both x86 x64 folders).

Open Regedit and search for McAfee keys inside the two HKCU/SOFTWARE and HKLM/SOFTWARE BRANCHES. But be very careful and make a registry backup first if possible.

eLPuSHeR, Jan 31, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
  12. Ex_Brit Win User
    I see one drawback to only using Windows Defender. That means you are now using Windows Firewall which unless tweaked, which can be complicated unless 3rd party software is used anyway, provides only one way protection - inbound. The McAfee suite took care of all that for you automatically.
    I am a long-time customer of McAfee and find their software excellent and like all software has an occasional glitch, but overall is totally reliable. They recently won awards with it. Also top of the polls, late 2016, I suggest shopping around for the best price though.
    Critics often slam their (& others' too) suites as being top-heavy, well with most of the upper tier of suites you can custom install only the components you want, unless restricted from doing so by your Administrator or by the provider of the software itself (ISP or PC maker for instance).
    In my case I omitted the Anti-Spam and Parental Controls portions as I either had that covered or didn;t need it..

Ex_Brit, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

McAfee

1. McAfee - Similar Threads - McAfee

2. Windows Defender detecting McAfee Defender as Malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender detecting McAfee Defender as Malware: Hi, I have realized that I cannot launch McAfee as usual. On daily security recap, the Windows Defender marked McAfee process as a severe malware.Screenshots are provided in this Google Drive link, the images always fail to upload to this...
  3. Windows Defender detecting McAfee Defender as Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender detecting McAfee Defender as Malware: Hi, I have realized that I cannot launch McAfee as usual. On daily security recap, the Windows Defender marked McAfee process as a severe malware.Screenshots are provided in this Google Drive link, the images always fail to upload to this...
  4. Windows Defender detecting McAfee Defender as Malware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender: I'e used McAfee antivirus for many years. Currently I'm using the Total Protection version in Windows 11, but it has the annoying habit of popping up unwanted ads for McAfee products that I don't want with no way to shut them off, so I want to replace it with Windows...
  6. Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender

Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender: I'e used McAfee antivirus for many years. Currently I'm using the Total Protection version in Windows 11, but it has the annoying habit of popping up unwanted ads for McAfee products that I don't want with no way to shut them off, so I want to replace it with Windows...
  7. which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg: Do I need ALL of the above mentioned and if not which is the best combination* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-of-the-following-is-needed-windows-defender/39790248-1b8e-4856-aaa8-88919bcb2bbf
  8. which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg

which of the following is needed Windows Defender, McAfee, Malwarebytes, ccleaner, or avg: Do I need ALL of the above mentioned and if not which is the best combination* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-of-the-following-is-needed-windows-defender/39790248-1b8e-4856-aaa8-88919bcb2bbf
  9. Добрый день! Удалил приложение Mcafee, после пуск исчез, папки не открываются, выдает...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Добрый день! Удалил приложение Mcafee, после пуск исчез, папки не открываются, выдает...: Добрый день! Удалил приложение Mcafee, после пуск исчез, папки не открываются, выдает ошибку asus\armourydevice\dll\swagent\armouryswagent.exe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%B9/c6d2d3c9-d458-49b5-98c9-6648ac259fb4
  10. Добрый день! Удалил приложение Mcafee, после пуск исчез, папки не открываются, выдает...

Добрый день! Удалил приложение Mcafee, после пуск исчез, папки не открываются, выдает...: Добрый день! Удалил приложение Mcafee, после пуск исчез, папки не открываются, выдает ошибку asus\armourydevice\dll\swagent\armouryswagent.exe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%B9/c6d2d3c9-d458-49b5-98c9-6648ac259fb4