Windows 10: MCT and cumulative updates

Discus and support MCT and cumulative updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; MCT and cumulative updates on a different website I recently read that it might be possible tosomehow include the cumulative updates in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Grizzly, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Grizzly Win User

MCT and cumulative updates

on a different website I recently read that it might be possible tosomehow include the cumulative updates in the creation process of the ISO. Is that true and if so, how is that process??

:)

Grizzly, Jun 18, 2016

2. Defender Updates

1. Any particular reason you chose to upgrade via the MCT & ISO instead of via Windows Update?

2. You told me that Microsoft Security Essentials was no longer installed when you upgraded to Win10 via the MCT & ISO. Was any other anti-virus application installed?

3. After you uninstalled (I assume) Microsoft Security Essentials, how long was the computer connected to the internet before you upgraded to Win10 via the MCT & ISO?

4. Is Google Chrome version 46.0.2490.71 (or higher) installed?

5. Have you ever used CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component?

Fact: Norton and McAfee applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS: Don't worry about those other updates. KB3105210, like most updates of Win10, is a cumulative update so it includes everything in KB3093266, KB3081455, KB3081448, KB3081444, KB3081438, KB3081436, and KB3081424.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jun 18, 2016
  3. Where Can I find the latest build of Windows 10?

Hi,

Where can I find an .ISO download for the latest build of Windows 10 1607? It seem MCT only offers build 14393.0 (six months out of date) -

It is quite tedious having to go through several stages of cumulative updates every time I install a fresh copy of Windows. We are up to build 14393.6xx why can't I download that?

regards

Steve Driscoll, Jun 18, 2016
  4. MCT and cumulative updates

Yes, see: Wiki: Slipstream_(computing)

But ... Why bother?

You would have to incorporate the most recent cumulative update into your install media every time one is released to keep your custom ISO up-to-date

Since they are cumulative, you don't have to install previous updates to get to the Current Branch when you re-install. If you use the oldest Win10 install media and run Windows Update, your system jumps to the most recent Current Branch, by-passing the intermediate branches. No matter where you start - the cumulative update brings the system up-to-date.

Aside from Windows Update / Cumulative update handling everything for you - the current ISO can be downloaded from MS using the current MCT.

There was a benefit of Slipstreaming updates (adding updates after the last SP) in previous versions of Windows,
    but now there is very little benefit

Slartybart, Jun 18, 2016
  5. Grizzly Win User
    The link you posted does not really work as the second parenthesis is not part of the link . This will work:
    Slipstream (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Sure the CU's will update to the newest version, but that is an extra step I was trying to avoid. Guess I have to wait until Redstone is out to get an up-to-date ISO as MS is really far behind (164).

Grizzly, Jun 18, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you have an ISO file of the latest minor build of Windows available, after you install it, aren't you going to run or let Windows Update run automatically to update defender definitions and possibly device drivers anyway? Or should Microsoft replace 39 languages of multiple versions of Windows 10 ISO files every time any update comes out? So is requiring a cumulative update in Windows Update really an added step?

NavyLCDR, Jun 18, 2016
  7. Thanks Grizz - fixed in my previous post.

I keep only the last build ISO (1511) and reinstall or repair with that.

When 1607 (RS1) is available, I will build new install media on the same Thumbdrive.

I understand your reasoning, I think. Windows Update has changed a lot though. The best part perhaps being the Cumulative update process.

Before, you had to update a lot, then move to a SP (or Win8 equivalent) do a bunch more updates to get current.

Now, the most recent Cumulative update brings your system fairly current and only the updates available after the Cumulative need be applied.
    Note that not every update gets applied - the cumulative update might have updates to updates and WU knows what to install.

It's your your choice Grizz.

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. MCT and cumulative updates - Similar Threads - MCT cumulative updates

2. MCT / UPDATE ASSISTANT / ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MCT / UPDATE ASSISTANT / ISO: COULD YOU PLEASE SAY ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UPDATE ASSISTANT AND MEDIA CREATION TOOL / ISO FOR WINDOWS 10 2004 UPGARDE SAY ME THE DIFFEENCE , BENEFITS , ADVANTAGE ,DISADVANTAGE . PLEASE........
  3. Mct usb

Mct usb: I have a USB 64 GB (my first one of this size) with the 20H1 ISO using the MCT. Can I still use it as storage and still be able to boot from it. All my other USB drives are 8 gb or less. So no big deal for an "only" single use USB drive. 160310
  4. When is a Cumulative Update not a Cumulative Update?

When is a Cumulative Update not a Cumulative Update?: I've just completed a clean install of Windows 10 v1809 (Build 17763.292) x64 After running Windows Update to get the latest patches, I found that it had downloaded two versions of 2019-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7.2 for Windows 10 Version...
  5. MCT tool Failure

MCT tool Failure: Hi to all, MCT tool is the same case that the screen disappears before the end. In either option USB or ISO. I could wish if it fail was without wasting long hours and spending net. Actually this is tired me. Surrounded by failures in failure. The negatives in the windows 10...
  6. Does MCT Ever Need To Be Updated?

Does MCT Ever Need To Be Updated?: I have W10 Pro x64. I have a flash drive I labeled "W10 Pro Install & Repair". I use this when I need to restore a system image. I assume this is the MCT. Does this thing need to be updated/replaced with the current version of the MCT on some time or W10 update basis? My...
  7. Does MCT Ever Need To Be Updated?

Does MCT Ever Need To Be Updated?: I have W10 Pro x64. I have a flash drive I labeled "W10 Pro Install & Repair". I use this when I need to restore a system image. I assume this is the MCT. Does this thing need to be updated/replaced with the current version of the MCT on some time or W10 update basis? My...
  8. MCT error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    MCT error: I downloaded MCT and started making ISO. Due to failure of internet, I had to cancel operation of making ISO and started again. I am getting error as follows. [img] I deleted contents of windows/softwaredistribution/download folder. I also did the following commands in...
  9. mct and clean install

mct and clean install: On Dec 12 I used the Media Creation Tool and downloaded the file and did a clean install. It was the RTM 10240? So I set up to be on the Fast Ring no real problem. This morning Dec 14 it downloaded and installed TR2 and it was 10586. The files in file manager did not seem...
  10. Latest MCT

Latest MCT: Where would I be able to download the Anniversary MCT windows 10 home.As I would like to make an iso on to a dvd just incase of disaster. Thanks. 59757