Windows 10: MCT not functional. Making USB Install, Copy ISO content?

Discus and support MCT not functional. Making USB Install, Copy ISO content? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I referred to this thread from April: Use MCT to create bootable Flash drive with previously downloaded ISO Post #2 from Bree looks really simple - so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cognus, Jul 2, 2018.

1. cognus Win User

MCT not functional. Making USB Install, Copy ISO content?

I referred to this thread from April: Use MCT to create bootable Flash drive with previously downloaded ISO
    Post #2 from Bree looks really simple - so simple I'd be amazed. The first thing is to mark the USB device "active" according to Bree. AFAIK, and just tried it, Disk Management disallows that very thing. It can only allow one active Partition on the system. Right? So the option is grayed out.
    So I used Minitool to get that done. Marked Active/Apply.

Then Following Bree's advice, I double click .iso and move/copy all content to the USB device, and done.

Right?

:)

cognus, Jul 2, 2018

2. Bootable USB with ISO - What am I missing?

you can use pendrive with win too. in step 1 you have to select "custom iso"(or "other" cant remember how exactly it was dubed) and point win .iso file. i've used it for my install usb stick and it works fine.

ne6togadno, Jul 2, 2018
  3. Bootable USB with ISO - What am I missing?

Tried the first program, but it fails .. not sure yet why but troubleshooting that ...

The pendrive seems to be only for linux? although seems very useful i dont think it will help me with this. Keeping it for future linux installs though

hmmm if I already have the iso, do I just throw that in the usb drive?

ok looking into this as well...

copenhagen69, Jul 2, 2018
  4. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jul 2, 2018
Thema:

1. MCT not functional. Making USB Install, Copy ISO content? - Similar Threads - MCT functional Making

2. Media Creation Tool MCT will now install and create an ISO or USB for Windows 11 version...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool MCT will now install and create an ISO or USB for Windows 11 version...: Updated after KB5019311 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Build 22621.525 22H2 released 27 October 2022 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool-mct-will-now-install-and/75b42ac4-d6b8-48ed-a857-32284ca6afc0
  3. Media Creation Tool MCT will now install and create an ISO or USB for Windows 11 version...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool MCT will now install and create an ISO or USB for Windows 11 version...: Updated after KB5019311 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Build 22621.525 22H2 released 27 October 2022 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool-mct-will-now-install-and/75b42ac4-d6b8-48ed-a857-32284ca6afc0
  4. Unable to Copy ISO to USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Copy ISO to USB: I'm trying to create a Windows 11 installation disk.I downloaded the ISO and tried to copy and then paste it to the USB but, it statesthat the ISO is too large for the destination.The ISO is being reported as 5.18 GBThe USB has is empty and has 31.9 GB free space.James...
  5. Unable to Copy ISO to USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Copy ISO to USB: I'm trying to create a Windows 11 installation disk.I downloaded the ISO and tried to copy and then paste it to the USB but, it statesthat the ISO is too large for the destination.The ISO is being reported as 5.18 GBThe USB has is empty and has 31.9 GB free space.James...
  6. MCT / UPDATE ASSISTANT / ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MCT / UPDATE ASSISTANT / ISO: COULD YOU PLEASE SAY ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UPDATE ASSISTANT AND MEDIA CREATION TOOL / ISO FOR WINDOWS 10 2004 UPGARDE SAY ME THE DIFFEENCE , BENEFITS , ADVANTAGE ,DISADVANTAGE . PLEASE........
  7. MCT boot usb

in Windows 10 Support
    MCT boot usb: Is it possible to move the boot media from one USB drive to another one with out having to create one. Example: I have a 8gb MCT bootable USB with version 1909 on it. Can I move/transfer it to another USB drive? 161010
  8. Mct usb

Mct usb: I have a USB 64 GB (my first one of this size) with the 20H1 ISO using the MCT. Can I still use it as storage and still be able to boot from it. All my other USB drives are 8 gb or less. So no big deal for an "only" single use USB drive. 160310
  9. Copying ISO to USB fails!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying ISO to USB fails!: Help Redditors! I’m hoping you guys can help me figure out an issue I keep running into... I’m trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my Lenovo U510 Ideapad via USB boot. I’m using a Mac to create the USB containing my Windows 10 ISO (I’ve actually tried two...
  10. Copy ISO to USB from Mac

Copy ISO to USB from Mac: My desktop's hard disk failed. I have bought a new one. I downloaded 64 bit windows 10 on my Mac. How to make bootable usb drive to install fresh version of windows 10?...