Windows 10: MDT 2013 Task Sequence hangs second partition on diskpart on VMware

Discus and support MDT 2013 Task Sequence hangs second partition on diskpart on VMware in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, I'm using MDT and trying to install Windows 10 1909 on a VMware machine. During WinPE, Task Sequence hangs when creating second partition (OS).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by joramos, Dec 17, 2019.

1. joramos Win User

MDT 2013 Task Sequence hangs second partition on diskpart on VMware

Hi,
    I'm using MDT and trying to install Windows 10 1909 on a VMware machine.
    During WinPE, Task Sequence hangs when creating second partition (OS). Pressing F8 to debug doesn't work.
    The VM is set to Legacy, not EFI.
    The Task Sequence works on a physical machine. It used to work and don't understand why it doesn't work anymore.
    Any idea how to debug this ?
    Thank you very much for your comments.
    Best Regards,
    Jo

:)

joramos, Dec 17, 2019
  2. VollCorn Win User

Can the Windows 10 Pro free upgrade be automated using a MDT task sequence?

Can the Windows 10 Pro free upgrade be automated using a MDT task sequence? I have a number of customers who are using Windows 8 Pro and have a volume activation key. They want to take advantage of the Windows 10 Pro free upgrade for their end users and
    want the process automated using a MDT task sequence

VollCorn, Dec 17, 2019
  3. MDT 2013 Update 2 - Imaging Windows 10 Pro x64

Hi Guys,

I am completely stumped why MDT 2013 will not deploy a basic image of windows 10 from the source files I have added. My deployment share works perfectly fine for windows 7.

So I have done the following:

• Imported Windows 10 pro x64.iso , with source files (downloaded from MVLMS)
    • Created a "standard Task Sequence" with default settings (pointing to this image)
    • Created a selection profile for the windows 10 drivers on the device (known to be working)
    The task sequence gets roughly 50% way through and then throws an error "the windows 10 installation failed to complete" this error occurs shortly after a message that states devices ready 100%.

The logs indicate that it's trying to run a command that can only be run within a windows environment, however that is the extent of the error recorded.

Thanks

Matt

MattyMiller87, Dec 17, 2019
  4. THMO Win User

MDT 2013 Update 2013 Build 8298 - Sysprep "disconnects" NIC

Hello Guys

We have upgraded our MDT 2013 to Update 1 build 8298.

And we have quite a few issues that we didn't have before.

We have some pretty simple task sequences we use to build images, one for each OS. Currently
    Windows 7x64, Windows 8.1x64 and Windows 10x64. Each os has a separate virtual machine in our VMware environment. We don't capture the image in MDT since our deployment system requires and older WinPE to run (Capasystems.com).

I pick the Syspreb task so it does what needs to be done at the end of the build. Shutdown the machine when it's done, pxe boot into capa and then proceed to capture the image.

This is pretty basic and has worked in the past.

After the upgrade I boot from the litetouch ISO like we normally do and using a VMxnet3 driver make the connection to the share and this runs smoothly all the way to the sysprep part.

When the machine is done syspreping it completely "drops all network connections" and the build "fails". See the attached pictures.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why this happens - Any ideas?

Tried with different drivers, old and new. Even tried running it on hyper-v but it yields the same results. Every task sequence was built from scratch since the format part was changed.

Windows 7 - same for Windows 10

MDT 2013 Task Sequence hangs second partition on diskpart on VMware [​IMG]

Thema:

1. MDT 2013 Task Sequence hangs second partition on diskpart on VMware - Similar Threads - MDT 2013 Task

2. Use the value of Task Sequence Variable as the value of another Task Sequence Variable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use the value of Task Sequence Variable as the value of another Task Sequence Variable: Hi everybody, Does anybody know whether it is possible to use the value of an Task Sequence Variable as the value of another Task Sequence Variable? For example, TS variable A has the value of 8. And I want to use this as the value of variable Q. What I did was Set Task...
  3. Extend partition in vmware workstation

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Extend partition in vmware workstation: I have a C: drive (vmdk file) of around 100 GB. I used the vmware tools to add another 100 GB. It then says that I must then start the VM (Windows 10) and use OS tools to expand the existing 100 GB C: drive. So I started the VM and ran the disk management tool. You can see...
  4. Is it possible to automate a sequence of task in windows?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to automate a sequence of task in windows?: We all regularly use window. Being a coder sometime we feel that we are repeating a set of task in windows everyday. Do windows provide us any way to achieve the same? For example After logging in I would like to go a folder Click a batch file in that folder Delete a...
  5. VMware Workstation 15 hangs and vmware-vmx is unkillable.

in Windows 10 Customization
    VMware Workstation 15 hangs and vmware-vmx is unkillable.: I have installed VMware Workstation 15.0.2 on a Windows 10 Enterprise 18348.19h1 host and am encountering a weird issue. When I start a VM, it doesn't boot but gets stuck on a black window. If I try to force reset it or anything like that, the UI for power controls is...
  6. How to sign an existing partition to EFI partition with diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to sign an existing partition to EFI partition with diskpart: I was trying to install linux on my UEFI mode windows 10 laptop couple days ago, unfortunately there's something went wrong during the installation process, the grub directly wrote data in my win10 system boot partition. Luckily I saved my data and all the partition still in...
  7. inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart: Hello Forum! I hope I can find a guru here, who can explain the "interesting" phenomena of different partition types (in disk manager it's actually listed in the "status" column) being displayed by disk manager vs diskpart. The setup: disk0 has 8 partitions (3 primary,...
  8. MDT 2013 Update 2013 Build 8298 - Sysprep "disconnects" NIC

MDT 2013 Update 2013 Build 8298 - Sysprep "disconnects" NIC: Hello Guys We have upgraded our MDT 2013 to Update 1 build 8298. And we have quite a few issues that we didn't have before. We have some pretty simple task sequences we use to build images, one for each OS. Currently Windows 7x64, Windows 8.1x64 and Windows...
  9. Deployment Issue - MDT 2013 / OptiPlex 790 / Driver Injection

Deployment Issue - MDT 2013 / OptiPlex 790 / Driver Injection: I'm trying to successfully deploy Windows 10 on a Dell OptiPlex 790 in my lab environment in order to push Windows 10 out to several of these PCs currently in production. Despite the fact that Dell does not offer a driver pack for Windows 10 for the 790, an upgrade to Windows...
  10. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: How to: DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk [img] Information Some time ago in another thread I promised a fellow Ten Forums member, esteemed geek and a good friend of mine Tony K to make him a custom DISKPART script when needed: My system at present is...