Windows 10: MDT using autologon during build SOMETIMES does not log on

Discus and support MDT using autologon during build SOMETIMES does not log on in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an odd issue. we have a task sequence to deploy window 2016 server, and I am creating a local account (autologon) during phase 4 Specialize and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by andreprins1, Jun 11, 2019.

1. MDT using autologon during build SOMETIMES does not log on

I have an odd issue.

we have a task sequence to deploy window 2016 server, and I am creating a local account (autologon) during phase 4 Specialize and make it an administrator.

Reason: When our systems join the domain, the GPO instantly renames the administrator account - so using the administrator account would fail.

The autologon in the 7 OOBE phase logs in using the new local account (autologon) after the restart.

this works fine most of the time, but occasionally NOT.....

recently, we imaged 2 servers nearly simultaneously - both are in the same subnet, same imaging source on the local subnet, identical computer models, and one automatically logs in, and the other one sat at the login prompt, and then we have to manually log in using the "autologon" account and its credentials, it logs in, and the MDT process continues OK.

I would say in ~ 90..98% of all builds, the autologon works, and occasionally it does NOT....

but the above example rules out models / drivers / network - they were the same Dell PowerEdge XR2 server, and same windows 2016 server OS, same task sequence, same imaging source, so I am just puzzled what can cause this odd behaviour...

:)

andreprins1, Jun 11, 2019
  2. oemSoft Win User

How do autologon work?

Referring to following link, I would like to know on whether this tools help to login 2 different user accounts after restart or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon

oemSoft, Jun 11, 2019
  3. Windows 10 autologon failing repeatedly

Using Windows 10; for years have had autologon set (via netplwiz) and working properly to log me into MS account at boot on my personal machine.

Occasionally following an update, the autologon would not work, though settings appear not to have changed. No error messages; just wouldn't automatically login. Resetting would fix the problem for indefinite period, until next random similar event. ("Reset"
    being:

• open netplwiz
    • check box requiring login and apply/OK
    • reopen netplwiz
    • uncheck the require-login box and fill in passwords
    • A-OK on next and subsequent boots.

This week the problem has returned, but the "reset" does not work more than one boot sequence. After a second or subsequent reboot, Windows 10 goes back to requiring manual login.

What is happening; and, please, how to fix it?

Thanks.

Mike Pepper, Jun 11, 2019
  4. MDT using autologon during build SOMETIMES does not log on

BarbaricSoul, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

MDT using autologon during build SOMETIMES does not log on

1. MDT using autologon during build SOMETIMES does not log on - Similar Threads - MDT using autologon

2. Autologon on a Microsoft Account?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Autologon on a Microsoft Account?: Windows 10 Pro x-64, Autologon seems to have quit working around version 1809. It worked, along with sync with other devices, but since upgrading to 1809, I can only get it to work on a local user account. I tried the netplwiz fix, and the Registry fixes; I twice deleted my...
  3. Windows 10 in Kiosk mode sometimes does not log in automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 in Kiosk mode sometimes does not log in automatically: Hello! I have a problem. A have a kiosk set up with windows 10 and using kiosk mode. I have two users - Admin and the kiosk mode user. I have set up that it would automatically log in the kiosk mode user on startup. But sometimes (after power failure) it stops at the...
  4. Black screen during log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen during log in: Recently when logging in to my desktop I experienced some black screen I had to reset the drivers to revert it back to normal. It also happened when I played some games and I had to alt-tabbed. And also when I benchmark my computer with the valley. Please help I don't know...
  5. Windows 10 sometimes hangs logging in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 sometimes hangs logging in: Hello, I have a recurring problem. Sometimes when I'm trying to log in to my PC with my (Microsoft account) password entered correctly, the password box disappears, and the wheel starts spinning, and it spins, and spins and spins some more for like five or ten minutes. It...
  6. Random bsod sometimes during work sometimes when windows loads

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random bsod sometimes during work sometimes when windows loads: Hello. I have a dell laptop with windows 10. and i have random bsod sometimes during work sometimes when windows loads. The last bsod said DRIVER IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL nwifi.sys. I will attach the dmp file . Thanks. wanted to add that i updated the wifi driver to the...
  7. Using laptop as mobile hotspot sometimes internet does not connect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using laptop as mobile hotspot sometimes internet does not connect: Hi, So currently I do not have a router available (I have a wired connection to the internet) but I want to be able to check emails on mobile through wifi. I found a link (How to Turn Your Windows PC Into a Wi-Fi Hotspot) showing how to use your laptop as a 'wifi hotspot'....
  8. Taskbar sometimes does not hide

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar sometimes does not hide: Hey all, I have noticed this for a while. I have the task bar set to auto hide - this works most of the time, but, occasionally it stays up on screen and won't hide. Not the end of the world, but, it would be good have this niggle solved. Any ideas? 29476
  9. Deploying Windows 10 using MDT and a OEM key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deploying Windows 10 using MDT and a OEM key?: Hi, First off, I will apologize for the complicated nature of this thread. I have several machines that have OEM licenses of Windows 8.1 Pro. What I would like to do is do the following: 1. Install Windows 8.1 Pro onto them. 2. For each machine, I will need to...
  10. Logs, you scare me sometimes...

in Windows 10 Support
    Logs, you scare me sometimes...: Since a few days I've been peeking inside the logs that Windows make... and all those entries. I wonder where they are all good for. And most are warnings about things of which I think: BRRR! Did my PC do that?! Most of the time I'm just hanging around the internet or I game...