Windows 10: Media Buttons Mute Microphone

Discus and support Media Buttons Mute Microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a lenovo laptop which mutes the microphone whenever a media eg. Vol control, open browser button on an external keyboard is pressed. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CdI1980, Jun 17, 2020.

1. CdI1980 Win User

Media Buttons Mute Microphone

I have a lenovo laptop which mutes the microphone whenever a media eg. Vol control, open browser button on an external keyboard is pressed. This repeats with any keyboard I have tried 3 now, all with the same result. Any idea what is causing this and how to stop it?

:)

CdI1980, Jun 17, 2020
  2. mahahual Win User

microphone mutes itself

When i go into properties the mike is muted. When I unmute it works for less than a minute then mutes again. The only suggestion I have found is set as default device which does not solve problem. I have also read it is a virus but I cannot solve with malware or virus scans. It first became a problem just a few weeks ago while skyping. Never had a problem with mike until then.

Troubleshooter finds the microphone muted and fixes, Within a minute the microphone mutes itself again.

mahahual, Jun 17, 2020
  3. WiIfred P Win User
    Why does Windows not have a mute button for the microphone?

Hi Beatlebing,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor and an expert with Windows 10.

I understand your concern with mute button on the Microphone.

Windows 10 actually doesn't have a dedicated mute button for a Microphone like what sound output has. The mute button would actually depend on the program that you are using like Skype. But you can actually mute the Microphone by following instructions on this
    link.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

I hope my suggestions help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Wilfred P.

Independent Advisor

WiIfred P, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Media Buttons Mute Microphone

USB Headset Microphone Mute Button not Synchronized with System Device Driver Microphone Mute Checkbox in Both Directions

This is a followup on a post I made almost a year ago and I received no explanations here is link to that post: Headset
    Microphones Do Not Have Programmatically Detectable Microphone Mute from Headset Mute Button

I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363.

I could be wrong but I believe that this problem needs to solved at the device driver level which would probably involve redesign of device driver specifications effecting all existing drivers/hardware and all manufactures? If this is the case then unfortunately
    I guess it will never be resolved until some future version of Windows fixes the problem.

I am trying to use NAudio to mute and unmute my USB headset microphone programmatically using MicrophoneDevice.AudioEndpointVolume.Mute = True or MicrophoneDevice.AudioEndpointVolume.Mute = False

I ran into the problem of the USB device not synchronized to the system device driver. I used to be able to use the Win32 API back in the Windows XP days and don't recall this being a problem. When Windows 7 came out the entire Mixer design for Windows
    took a turn for worst, Direct-X Mixer functionality was gone forever and this problem was the result.

THE QUESTION:

Can anyone give an example in Visual Studio 2017 or 2019 C# or VB .net that can make the USB Mic mute button and the OS mute checkbox operate in sync in both directions. Remember, that old VB6 API code related to the microphone does not
    work nor does it apply to the Windows 7-10 OS and device driver designs.

THE SYMPTOM:

I have three different brands of USB Headsets with Microphone and Mute Button Wired and Wireless all with the same behavior as follows:

1. If the Mute checkbox shown below is UNCHECKED and the microphone's mute button on the headset is toggled on and off the microphone is muted by the headset's microphone internal circuitry which does successfully mute the sound to the record capture,
      however it does not update the mute checkbox in system settings for the USB microphone device.
    2. If the Mute checkbox shown below is CHECKED then the Headset's Microphone Mute button has no effect what so ever.

NOTE: There isn't any Win32 API solution that I can figure out or find to solve this sync problem and apparently NAudio's solution can not address the problem either because the Windows API in it's redesign of the mixer
    never considered this scenario of bidirectional syncing between the USB device driver and the OS.

I will try to give an example of how this can be an unsolvable problem the best I can. I am working on a voice driven program for the blind and I can't expect them to be able to turn off a checkbox in settings no more than I can have a visual queue
    showing them if the microphone is on or off. The only feedback I can give is sound effects and the computer talking to them.

Functional Example:

I am using System.Speech.Synthesis, System.Speech.Recognition and NAudio.

All of my code works I just need to sync the mute. Consider the code below (simplified).

1. System settings have the mute checkbox unchecked, headset mute button is muted.
    2. User un-mutes the microphone with the headset switch.
    3. User speaks into the microphone and says "Stop Dictation"
    4. The user forgets to quickly mute the microphone with the headset's mute button so that the SpeechRecognition_SpeechRecognized event does not falsely trigger based on the headset's speaker volume being so loud that the microphone picks up the computer
      talking or any background noise in the room.
    5. The code wants to mute the microphone while the computer is playing a sound effect and speaking to compensate for the possibility of #4 above.
    6. The code wants to keep the microphone muted until the user un-mutes the microphone with the headset switch.
    7. The code makes it's sound effect and tells the user that the dictation has stopped.
    8. The user no longer has control with the headset's mute button unless he/she manually turns off the mute checkbox in settings.

RELATED IMAGES:

Media Buttons Mute Microphone 93e0f747-9808-49e9-a0a3-e87e3dd09610?upload=true.jpg

Media Buttons Mute Microphone 39106284-6f3a-47be-ad1f-6a7a88a64e78?upload=true.jpg

Larry G. Robertson, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Media Buttons Mute Microphone

1. Media Buttons Mute Microphone - Similar Threads - Media Buttons Mute

2. microphone muting issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microphone muting issue: I was messing with my volume settings, i solved a issue but a new one appeared. When i join discord, it says that it doesnt sense any sound coming from my microphone. I have to click Fn and F4 at the same time mute and mic unmute if i don't do that nobody can't hear me. Does...
  3. Microphone mutes sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone mutes sound: This has been happening as long as I can remember but only recently has it been a problem.I use a headset with a built in microphone and whenever an application activates the microphone it mutes any sound from other applications and most of the time the sound from the...
  4. Microphone mute

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone mute: I have been trying to use my microphone for online meetings and it says my mic is muted in my setting I went to my settings and found that it was mutes and it wouldn't let me unmutes, when I click the icon to unmute it, it will not mute in control panel microphone properties...
  5. Muted Microphone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Muted Microphone: My microphone is muted and I do not know how to unmute it. All of my drivers are updated, all of my security permissions are set that it can be accessed and my microphone is active. When I run Troubleshooter, it says my microphone is muted, but doesn't provide a reason...
  6. USB Headset Microphone Mute Button not Synchronized with System Device Driver Microphone...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Headset Microphone Mute Button not Synchronized with System Device Driver Microphone...: I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. I am trying to use NAudio to mute and unmute my USB headset microphone programmatically using MicrophoneDevice.AudioEndpointVolume.Mute = True or...
  7. Microphone muted

Microphone muted: Don't matter how many times I have restarted my computer, I have reset it also. I can not unmute the mic in the microphone settings. I have spent hours looking at ways to fix it but it doesn't seem like many others have had the same problem. I have sat here and clicked it a...
  8. Microphone Muted

Microphone Muted: I have a HP Envy all in one computer that is running Windows 10. My computer is updated to the latest version of Windows and I have gone to the HP support website to make sure I have the latest audio drivers for my computer. After the latest update to Windows 10 my...
  9. microphone mutes itself

microphone mutes itself: When i go into properties the mike is muted. When I unmute it works for less than a minute then mutes again. The only suggestion I have found is set as default device which does not solve problem. I have also read it is a virus but I cannot solve with malware or virus scans....
  10. muting microphone

muting microphone: why does my microphone keep muting itself after every restart? [img] 4293