Windows 10: Media Creation Tool failed. Any way to find out why?

Discus and support Media Creation Tool failed. Any way to find out why? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Howdy, Have a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate. It's a fresh install and I did not run the hours worth of Windows Updates since I want to go up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kelemvor, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Kelemvor Win User

Media Creation Tool failed. Any way to find out why?

Howdy,

Have a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate. It's a fresh install and I did not run the hours worth of Windows Updates since I want to go up to 10 right away. Windows is activated.

So, I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool and let it run overnight. I came in today and the laptop is still at Windows 7. Is there anywhere that the Creation Tool has a log file or anything to find out what the problem was and why it didn't work?

I decided to try to run the tool again but choose to create a flash drive of it instead. I then ran setup.exe from that and it said it needed to get some updates. It's now been sitting on Checking for Updates 0% inside the Windows 10 Setup window for an hour... OK. As I'm typing this the percent finally started moving. It got to 22% and is now hanging again... I guess maybe I do just need to let this sit more...

:)

Kelemvor, Oct 8, 2015

2. Upgrade Win 10 beyond #10240 fails.

I have tried the traditional way (automatic), in place with media creation tool, and with ISO on a DVD

I fail at reboot time. That is, it says system is about to restart, and then it fails.

Any ideas?

MarshallHoward, Oct 8, 2015
  3. MikaLany Win User
    Windows 10 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 doesn't install and the notification is very annoying.

I just tried to use the Media Creation Tool and it took up 5 GB of storage and then said Windows 10 failed to install. I wonder if there is a way to delete the 5 GB of stuff that windows 10 media creation tool put on my computer.

MikaLany, Oct 8, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

> I guess maybe I do just need to let this sit more...

Yes, obviously that is the case. The upgrade process itself does create a number of log files, but I currently don't know, if or where the Media Creation Tool stores log files. I would now just wait for that percentage counter to reach 100 and then see...

Joergi, Oct 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Media Creation Tool failed. Any way to find out why? - Similar Threads - Media Creation Tool

2. Media creation tool failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool failing: I am trying to repair my windows 10 os on another computer but the media creation tool is not working on the current laptop im using it is windows 7 home i already updated it and as well i already used the easy fix it and nothing is working im not sure what to do....
  3. Media creation tool failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media creation tool failing: I am trying to repair my windows 10 os on another computer but the media creation tool is not working on the current laptop im using it is windows 7 home i already updated it and as well i already used the easy fix it and nothing is working im not sure what to do....
  4. Media Creation Tool Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Failed: Lenovo intel optane 256 GB 238 GB SSDLenovo Thinkstation P330Can't install windowsI am thinking its a bad system board, already swapped out the ssd and ram.Windows media creation tool cant even get to the first menu, before it blue screensError codes this things spits...
  5. Media Creation Tool Failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Media Creation Tool Failed: Lenovo intel optane 256 GB 238 GB SSDLenovo Thinkstation P330Can't install windowsI am thinking its a bad system board, already swapped out the ssd and ram.Windows media creation tool cant even get to the first menu, before it blue screensError codes this things spits...
  6. Media Creation Tool Failed

7. how to find media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to find media creation tool: I want to uninstall windows 11 and reinstall windows 10. I was told to find the media creation tool to download 10 into my flash drive, then wipe 11 out of laptop and install 10 from flash drive. Where do I find media creation tool and do this?...
  8. how to find media creation tool

how to find media creation tool: I want to uninstall windows 11 and reinstall windows 10. I was told to find the media creation tool to download 10 into my flash drive, then wipe 11 out of laptop and install 10 from flash drive. Where do I find media creation tool and do this?...
  9. how to find media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Media Creation Tool fails. Any work around?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool fails. Any work around?: My laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 two days ago but my desktop has not received the green light yet. I was reading that if you downloaded the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's web site that it had an option that would allow up to upgrade your PC or create an ISO install...