Windows 10: Media Creation Tool needs to handle downloads better

Discus and support Media Creation Tool needs to handle downloads better in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Not a question, because there is no solution beyond Microsoft itself fixing a vitally-important yet horribly broken piece of software. Since I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Makoto69, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Makoto69 Win User

Media Creation Tool needs to handle downloads better

Not a question, because there is no solution beyond Microsoft itself fixing a vitally-important yet horribly broken piece of software.

Since I tried fixing my corrupted copy of Windows, only to find my official Windows 10 USB had also been corrupted, I now have to download it again.

Downloading Windows 10 is, in itself, an awful experience. The downloader can stop at any time (even at 0%), simply showing an unchanging percentage, meaning you have to start the whole process again.

But it gets worse! If you made the mistake of actually using MCT to create installation media, instead of just to create a .iso file for Rufus or something else to use, then if anything goes wrong with creating the media... it wipes your download of Windows 10 and you have to re-download to make another attempt! And since that download may require a re-attempt or two itself, creating installation media can be a very sluggish process.

Two changes need to be made to the tool:

-Fix the downloader, I think the problem is that if there's a hiccup in the connection it gives up. A well-made downloader like those in Steam or Firefox let you even do stuff like completely disconnect from the internet and continue later.

-It should store the Windows 10 download as a temporary file that isn't deleted immediately, and is able to be used for multiple attempts.

:)

Makoto69, Sep 15, 2019

2. Windows Media Creation Tool won't download:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better

• Are you using Internet Explorer to download the files?

• Are you using a wired net connection or wireless net connection?
    You can use the media creation tool to upgrade your current PC to
    Windows 10 or to create a USB or DVD and install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool:
    Windows 10 herunterladen

Alternatively, you can also use another pc to download the files.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further

Sachin V Rao, Sep 15, 2019
  3. Media creation tool

Hi,

We would like to know more about this concern. Kindly answer the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • Is this the first time that you encountered this problem?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • May we know the reason why you want to download Media Creation Tool?

Desiree Yau, Sep 15, 2019
  4. Vijay B Win User

Media Creation Tool Won't Download ISO

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

What is the exact and complete error you get when you try to create Media creation tool?

I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link to create Media creation tool.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Windows 10 herunterladen

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Vijay B, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Media Creation Tool needs to handle downloads better - Similar Threads - Media Creation Tool

2. need to reinstall windows, but cannot download media creation tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need to reinstall windows, but cannot download media creation tool: Hello,I want to install windows 10 on a new drive but my current Installation on my old drive can't connect to the internet. I am trying to use my phone to download windows and a usb stick to install. Unfortunately, the microsoft website won't allow my phone to download the...
  3. need to reinstall windows, but cannot download media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need to reinstall windows, but cannot download media creation tool: Hello,I want to install windows 10 on a new drive but my current Installation on my old drive can't connect to the internet. I am trying to use my phone to download windows and a usb stick to install. Unfortunately, the microsoft website won't allow my phone to download the...
  4. need to reinstall windows, but cannot download media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Which is better - Media Creation Tool or Update Assistant?

Which is better - Media Creation Tool or Update Assistant?: Hi, I am planning to update from 1909 to 20H2 on an older computer, via manual update. Which tool do you think is better for this -- Media Creation Tool or Update Assistant? Thanks. 175908
  6. Downloading Media Creation Tool

Downloading Media Creation Tool: I'm using Ubuntu and I need to download media creation tool for something. But I can't download because when I go download page of Windows, it only shows me option to download ISO file not media creation tool executable. Is there another way to download it from a non-windows...
  7. Unable to download media creation tool

Unable to download media creation tool: I have a problem with upgrading my Windows 10 laptop. That’s why I tried to use media creation tool. But I cannot open the media creation tool https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-download-media-creation-tool/19a84e4a-e03b-4cc6-b0e9-7ae47ba1f149
  8. Need media creation tool 1909

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need media creation tool 1909: Alright, so I need to reinstall windows, but my device inst supported by 2004 yet. I know I could technically install 2004 on it, but I'll do anything to avoid bugs, therefore I would like the 1909 media creation tool. Thanks in advance submitted by /u/lynet_101 [link]...
  9. Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media creation tool: So i know i can use this tool to update my pc to latest but will i keep all my settings and preferences? Havent updated my pc in 3 years so figured this is a better way to do it. submitted by /u/AwesomePicMan [link] [comments]...
  10. Downloading in Media Creation Tool

Downloading in Media Creation Tool: How to resume download in Media Creation Tool? Thanks everyone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloading-in-media-creation-tool/fe621427-b54b-4e9f-b756-f80987ccec83

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Media Creation Tool Now needs windows update manual