Windows 10: Media Creation Tool or MSDN ISO?

Discus and support Media Creation Tool or MSDN ISO? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is there any difference between creating a bootable Windows 10 USB drive with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and downloading MSDN's Windows 10 ISO to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by akumajou, Jul 30, 2015.

1. akumajou Win User

Media Creation Tool or MSDN ISO?

Is there any difference between creating a bootable Windows 10 USB drive with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and downloading MSDN's Windows 10 ISO to manually create a bootable USB drive with it?

:)

akumajou, Jul 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Problem & MSDN multilanguage ISO (pro & home) problem

You can always perform an Easy Upgrade from Windows 10 Home using your Windows 10 Pro key after installation. It only takes a few minutes to unlock the unique capabilities of Pro.

How
    to Perform an Easy Upgrade in Windows 10

It looks like the Digital Entitlement is choosing Windows 10 Home based on what your computer came preloaded with, which was previously Windows 8x Core I suspect?

Remember also, the MCT has an option you must uncheck during the download wizard:

Media Creation Tool or MSDN ISO? [​IMG]

If you want to download a particular edition or both architectures, uncheck the
    Use the recommended option for this PC.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Problem & MSDN multilanguage ISO (pro & home) problem

2 problems

1st

I'm trying to download windows 10 pro 1511 (10586) from media creation tool that was launched (on 25 of nov) after the bug issue cleared regarding privacy. In it i want to make iso of pro version of windows 10 x64. but it doesn't appears there only options
    available there are windows 10, window 10 N, windows 10 home..

2nd

i've downloaded MSDN multilanguage ISO of windows 10 x64 which includes pro & home. when i boot it from dvd/pendrive the option for selecting in between those 2 doesn't appears and it automatically installs home edition.

Plz help i'm a pro user and finally want to be with pro version of windows 10.

DushyantPahl, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Yes I believe there is. The Media Creation Tool creates a custom install or upgrade for your system where you used the MCT, whereas the Windows 10 ISO is a general installation medium that requires a valid product key for installation to a virgin drive or PC. I think.

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Akash Win User
    I've the same question! However, in my case- I can't access the download page of ISO files. However, I can access it through Proxy or UC Browser in mobile. Also, Media Creation Tool's page is loading without any issue.

And the thing which confuses me is- I've seen two options on the Windows 10 (English) ISO files' download page as English and English International. So, should I download the International version? Also, can you tell me the difference between these two? And if you've upgraded using ISO file than can you tell me the size of the ISO file?

In the download page, the English ISO file size is about 2.74 GB and English International is about 2.86 GB.

Akash, Jul 30, 2015
  6. To my understanding, "Media Creation Tool" can be used to either upgrade your PC or download an ISO. In case of 8.1, ISO created with "Media Creation Tool" is much better than MSDN one in many aspects - ie, the ISO will contain the most recent monthly update roll-up. I hope that it will be the same for 10 also as it is more likely to be updated frequently. I would go with the "Media Creation Tool" route.

Btw, ISO/USB created with MCT is not machine specific. You can download an ISO using MCT and use it to upgrade/clean install any eligible system.

Anshad Edavana, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Akash Win User
    So, is that means that we can directly download and face no issue? And the should I download the English International version?

Akash, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Media Creation Tool or MSDN ISO?

Yes, you can force the upgrade process using MCT. Just use the option "Upgrade this PC now".

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I don't know the exact difference between US English and International English versions. Usually i install US English versions of 7 and 8.1 as laptops sold in India has US keyboard layout.

Anshad Edavana, Jul 31, 2015
  9. Akash Win User
    I contacted with the Microsoft Live Chat Support and they said the ISO file from MSDN cannot be used for first time upgrade. For the first time, we may use the ISO by Media Creation Tool and then we can use that ISO file.

Akash, Jul 31, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

This is B/S I'm afraid -- all MSDN ISO's can be installed either as upgrades (provided the upgrade path is a valid one in the first place ) -for example you can't upgrade Enterprise W8.1 to PRO Win 10 -you have to do a CLEAN install - but provided you have a valid product key for your MSDN ISO you can install on any machine W10 works on.

I'm not sure about the quality of staff Ms is employing in their Call Centres these days but they seem to be disseminating a lot of incorrect info these days.

You'd get much better info and help on THESE Forums. !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  11. Akash Win User
    Thanks, many peoples were saying that the MSDN ISO works for upgrade and I told him the same. He said that, it may work but I should expect it to ask product code later. I had actually contacted the live chat support of Britain (as Indian live chat support isn't available in Sat-Sun).

By the way, did you upgraded to Windows 10 with this method? Or do you know someone who do? Did they got it activated?

Akash, Jul 31, 2015
  12. The MSDN ISO is multi edition by the way, which may be why they advised against using it for doing an upgrade with. MSDN ISO's can install Home or Pro depending on what key is detected or entered during setup. The Media Creation Tool ISO is Home or Pro depending on what you download. Also, if you use the Upgrade This PC now" option of the MCT, it figures out what version to install for you, based on what version of Windows your upgrading from. I'm not sure what happens if you boot from an MSDN ISO to try and do an upgrade, your likely going to be asked to enter a key? It likely won't auto figure out what version to install either?

alphanumeric, Jul 31, 2015
  13. Akash Win User

We can't upgrade by booting from the ISO file. We'll need to extract it in Windows 7 and in Windows 8, we'll need to mount it and then we can upgrade through setup.exe and I think, it let us choose which version we wanted to install.

Some people are saying that we can upgrade through the MSDN ISO while the customer support of Microsoft told me that I should expect that it may ask me product code anytime. By the way, I'll go with Media Creation Tool's ISO, if it support resume.

Akash, Jul 31, 2015
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If it works the same way as TechNet did (the ISO's were identical) you have to enter a key and it will work fine. Note the upgrade path must be a valid one - for example if you upgrade en_GB with en_US it won't work and you'll have to do a clean install.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  15. Akash Win User
    I've Windows 7 en_us, so I need to download "English" ISO from Windows 10 ISO ?

Akash, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Media Creation Tool or MSDN ISO? - Similar Threads - Media Creation Tool

2. verify the ISO file downloaded by media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    verify the ISO file downloaded by media creation tool: HelloHow can I verify the ISO file downloaded by media creation tool ?Is there a checksum list on microsoft website?thanks for your advice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/verify-the-iso-file-downloaded-by-media-creation/fd64da3b-c9e7-490c-96b3-9e9112912fdf
  3. Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file: I'm having problems upgrading a win 8.1 laptop to win 10. I've tried doing it directly via the site and I have also tried using a USB installation media creation tool to no avail so I though I would try this ISO thing but it looks like the same thing as the usb media creation...
  4. Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file: I'm having problems upgrading a win 8.1 laptop to win 10. I've tried doing it directly via the site and I have also tried using a USB installation media creation tool to no avail so I though I would try this ISO thing but it looks like the same thing as the usb media creation...
  5. Are there evolving versions of Media Creation Tool keyed to ISOs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Are there evolving versions of Media Creation Tool keyed to ISOs: I have a month-old MCT I've used once to get an .iso. I know that the last one (.iso) I got was the latest (then) available version. In order to get the latest version available, do I need to get a newer MCT? I'm asking whether the MCTs are keyed to particular .iso's. Pro...
  6. Media Creation Tool ISO build question

Media Creation Tool ISO build question: Hi all, When you go to the Microsoft website to download the Media Creation Tool, is there any way of knowing the exact build of the ISO file before you download it? I cant find anywhere on the website where this might be listed. All it tells you is it is version 1903. Back...
  7. Media creation tool new ISO every time?

Media creation tool new ISO every time?: I can understand a new ISO for each release but to have to download the ISO each time takes far more time than it needs to. Is there any way to just use the ISO already loaded?...
  8. Using Media creation tool with existing ISO

Using Media creation tool with existing ISO: Hello all, I am trying to transition all of my machines to UEFI and I am trying to use Windows' media creation tool to build up a bootable USB drive to begin testing. I have an existing ISO and set of files for Windows 10 Enterprise but I can't seem to find the option for...
  9. iso media creation tool

iso media creation tool: windows 10 home 64bit 1607 Updated windows 7 home premium 64bit to windows 10 home. Then to windows 10 home 1607. Is the media creation tool the same as 'create system image' in windows 10 home? Can I make an iso installer? Can it be activated with the windows 7 home...
  10. Media Creation Tool - ISO Failure

Media Creation Tool - ISO Failure: I am trying to create a bootable USB/DVD through the Media Creation Tool and am failing each time. I have selected English, Windows 10 Home, 64-bit for the options and tried both the USB Flash Drive option and ISO options and have resulted in only "Something happened"...