Windows 10: Media Creation Tool will not run

Discus and support Media Creation Tool will not run in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The Media Creation Tool will NOT run at all on my Windows 7 Ultimate desktop and my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with Windows 8.1. When I try to run it, nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DRepke, Jul 31, 2015.

1. DRepke Win User

Media Creation Tool will not run

The Media Creation Tool will NOT run at all on my Windows 7 Ultimate desktop and my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with Windows 8.1. When I try to run it, nothing happens after clicking the message that allows it run. I know it does not start immediately but I have successfully run it on two other PCs with Windows 8.1. I've spent the better part of the last four days trying to get the Windows 10 upgrade installed on my desktop. After starting the "tool", I've even let the PC sit overnight to see if it would ever start to run. It never does. I've rebooted numerous times and I've also tried running it from that PC, from a network drive and from a USB drive ("Run as Administrator" does NOT work either). Nothing works. I was able to create both a USB and DVD setup disk using the Media Creation Tool on a different Windows 7 Ultimate PC so I've also tried using both of those options to upgrade my desktop PC. If I boot from either the USB drive or the DVD, I can install a new copy of Windows 10 but, of course, cannot enter a product key that works so that does not help. However, if I boot normally and then run Windows 10 setup.exe from either the USB or DVD, it does NOT run at all (just like with the Media Creation Tool). For a brief moment the other day, I thought I might have found the problem... I forget that I was starting to run low on disk space on that SSD. It was down to 21.6Gb available which, I think, should have been enough disk space but it might be borderline. So I did manage to get the free disk space to more 50Gb. That, however, did NOT help at all. I've tried about every possible scenario multiple times and have gotten nowhere over the last four days. I even tried Microsoft chat support yesterday but started off with 454 people in front. I wasn't in front of my computer when my turn finally arrived -- so I missed it. Haven't tried it again but don't expect much from that anyway. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:)

DRepke, Jul 31, 2015

2. Media creation tool will not run

Hi Phil,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Method 1: I suggest you to perform a clean boot. Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the
    article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Method 2: Click the link below and Run the media creation tool.

Windows 10 herunterladen

Do let us know if you have any other queries pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

SujataMoktan, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Media creation tool will not run

Well very interesting the creation tool down loads starts to run and I get a big blank popup box with an OK check box and that's it; tried restating the machine and bupkis same result no matter what I try the tool will not run to completion system is Win
    10 pro 64bit. Any ideas anyone?

Phil

Phil Jacobs, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Try this:

Open msconfig via the Run box.
    Click on Services tab, click on Hide all Microsoft services, click Disable All. CLick OK.
    Click on the Startup tab, click on Disable all, click OK.
    Reboot.
    Try running setup.exe from the flash drive. If it won't run, right click on it and select Run as Administrator.

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  5. DRepke Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I had already tried using "msconfig" to disable all of my startup programs but did not think of disabling all of the non-Microsoft services as you suggested. However, before receiving your reply, I had already decided to "bite-the-bullet" and restore my computer to a new SSD from a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials backup a couple of days earlier than the Win10 release (i.e., July 27th). That took a couple of hours. After completion, I tried the Win10 update from within Win7ULT from a USB drive. The setup program actually did run for the "first" time so I thought I was "home-free". Wrong! It took several hours to go through the update, checking my computer periodically as the update proceeded. Things were looking good. Then, disaster... The final stage of the update process (i.e., updating the Windows 10 files that had been installed so far) was taking forever to complete (at least a few hours) as I checked it periodically while doing other things. After it completed that stage, the next time I checked it, I was greeted with a "ridiculous" message saying that it has completed the update and the computer was now sitting idle and the installation routine did not know what to do next. It suggested that I "restart" the setup program. I couldn't believe it and I could not figure out any way to make it continue; so I had no choice but to restart the process after totally wasting the past several hours. So I restarted "setup.exe" from the USB drive. Amazingly, this time it would NOT run at all (just like had been happening previously, before I had restored the computer). My only choice left was to try the "Media Creation Tool" even though, if it worked, that would mean re-downloading Windows 10 even though I also had the files. So I tried running the "tool" and, surprisingly it actually worked. I started running it later in the evening so I had to let it run all night to complete the download. The next morning I was able to continue with the upgrade. It took at least a few more hours but it actually did complete without any issues. I wanted a "clean" install so I told it to upgrade without keeping any of my files. It worked! I couldn't believe it! It took me most of nearly five full days to get this upgrade to work. Un-frickin'-believable! So my primary desktop computer is finally updated. Meanwhile, I tried the upgrade on a very old Dell laptop that was running Windows 8.1. I also tried the upgrade from the USB drive and it worked flawlessly. I've still got at least 3-4 other computers I want to upgrade. I already checked that the "Media Creation Tool" and/or the "setup" program will run on all but one of these computers but have not tried to update any of them yet. The one other computer that those programs will NOT run on is my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro ultrabook running Windows 8.1. I'll have to try your suggestion on that one to see if it lets either of those update programs run. I'm not in a big hurry to update the remaining computers yet because I'm still waiting for Microsoft to release the "connector" software for Windows 10 systems to connect to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials which is what I use to automatically back-up all of my computers. It's pretty damn annoying that they haven't released the "connector" software. They announced more than a week ago that a manual install version would be available in the Microsoft Download Center shortly after July 29 (but nothing yet). An automated version won't be available until October, supposedly. What a nightmare this been so far but at least I've finally got a running Windows 10 Pro computer.

DRepke, Aug 2, 2015
  6. VsUK1981 Win User
    You need to delete the 2 hidden folders on your c:\ directory before allowing it to run if it developed an error. Go to search on your start menu & type in folder options & then open it. Click on view tab & then check show hidden files. Click OK & then go to your C drive & you should see 1 maybe 2 folders that are faded names $Windows.~BT & $Windows.~WS Delete both of those. If you have system security enabled like the UAC or other forms. Right click on the Media Creation Tool & click on Run as Administrator. This will then prevent it being paused to await on user security prompt checks. A friend had this problem & this resolved this for him!

Also.. A time when submitting a threat or reply. Use the Enter key after a couple of full stops to make it an easy read because I read about 6 or 7 lines until I just lost interest in trying to keep track reading the rest *Wink

VsUK1981, Aug 2, 2015
  7. Robinb9 Win User
    I used this tool on 3 pcs that ran 8.1 and 4 laptops (one surface pro 3, the dell that has 8.1 on it- my windows 7 Pro that I had upgraded to 8.1 before I purchased the dell, and a real old laptop (15 years old) that started with Vista, then windows 7 then 8.1 now windows 10. If you have patience it does load fine.

Robinb9, Aug 2, 2015
  8. VsUK1981 Win User

Yeah I forgot to mention, when opening the tool, it can take around 20-30 seconds or a bit longer depending on system speed to actually open!

VsUK1981, Aug 2, 2015
  9. DRepke Win User
    I hate to disagree with you but the "Media Creation Tool" does NOT run fine on every system... No matter how long you wait (is 12 hours long enough?). It would not run at all on two of my computers although it ran fine on four other ones. Same story with trying to run the Windows 10 setup program directly from a USB drive from within Windows 7/8.1. As mentioned is my too lengthy message, I did finally get my primary desktop computer upgraded after five days of total frustration. I have not yet tried again to upgrade my Yoga laptop which has similar problems.

DRepke, Aug 3, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    It only needs to run on one computer. Create a flash drive or ISO then you can use that on as many computers as you want. No need to use MCT repeatedly.

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  11. VsUK1981 Win User
    the MCT wont let you passed the enter key stage as the next button is faded out! I burned a Media Disk & it did exactly this to me!

VsUK1981, Aug 3, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Then I would say the ISO you have is probably different than the system you are upgrading, so it prompts for a key.

Which version did you get via MCT and what does winver tell you about the system you are upgrading?

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  13. VsUK1981 Win User

I created the ISO from a Ultimate 64bit system & then used the ISO burned to a DVD to upgrade my laptop also running win7 Ultimate x64. I've ditched the windows anyways as its far to buggy & inconsistent.

VsUK1981, Aug 4, 2015
  14. I have the same problem. Media Creation Tool will not run. Download from a PC already updated will not run setup.
    *Sad

TheDude23112, Aug 7, 2015
  15. meeder Win User
    same problem here, nothing seems to work.

meeder, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Media Creation Tool will not run - Similar Threads - Media Creation Tool

2. media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    media creation tool: how do i fix media creation tool it keeps crashing when i open it without any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool/3740294e-2b85-48de-a678-e7f03ee46369
  3. Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool: I'm having an issue with the media creation tool where it won't install or even give me a list of usb drives at all. Even if I tried running it from inside the usb flash drive it still says the same thing "you need 8 gb of available space on Windows :C". I'm having this issue...
  4. Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool: I figured out what the tool was, and I didn't like it. You made it sound sooooooo exiting in the license terms, but when I found out what it really was, I was not impressed. Way to go Microsoft. Way to go. You ripped me off of thinking it was something cool, but instead you...
  5. Media creation tool.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool.: Yes, I have successfully downloaded the tool and Windows 10. All I did was click on a link that someone posted and BAM the media creation tool and Windows 10 were downloaded! Thanks! *^^*...
  6. media Creation Tool won't run

media Creation Tool won't run: Hi gentlemen, I am nursing a new laptop again, with win 10 v.1909 on it. After running into problems with HELLO and Passwords ,I thought I had cured those problems by a system reset. But after a few deadends, an upgrade (which my pc would not acknowledge) to 2004 was...
  7. "Media Creation Tool" Not Running

"Media Creation Tool" Not Running: I have Windows7 on my desktop. I have purchased a Windows10 digital licence from microsoft store. In order to install windows 10 I followed the link came from microsoft that it took me to download the "MediaCreationTool2004". After download I can't "RUN" it and it won't open....
  8. Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media creation tool: So i know i can use this tool to update my pc to latest but will i keep all my settings and preferences? Havent updated my pc in 3 years so figured this is a better way to do it. submitted by /u/AwesomePicMan [link] [comments]...
  9. unable to run media creation tool

unable to run media creation tool: [ATTACH]unable to install windows 10 on my laptop. i already install media creation tool 4 times, and all the time the program wont run at all. The only things pop up is this...
  10. Cannot login - media creation tool will not run

Cannot login - media creation tool will not run: Hi I reinstalled windows 10 and had a small problem with login. I made a change in the user account and now it will not accept my microsoft login password. I have changed the microsoft login (successfully) about 4 times without success. I downloaded the media creation tool...