Windows 10: Media HotKey Not Working

Discus and support Media HotKey Not Working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This is my only gripe since upgrading to windows ten. Itunes no longer loads when I press my media key on my keyboard. I've set it in the default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Vinnydude, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Vinnydude Win User

Media HotKey Not Working

This is my only gripe since upgrading to windows ten.

Itunes no longer loads when I press my media key on my keyboard. I've set it in the default apps but nothing, i've tried setting it to open other apps but nothing still. The other hotkeys, i.e. the calculator, work fine.

Any ideas?

Update: I tracked down what the media key is triggering. In the default apps under play cd, that is where to select it, unfortunately itunes just doesn't want to run from there though, it WILL run other apps.

Any Ideas?

:)

Vinnydude, Jul 31, 2015
  2. stas274 Win User

Old-looking ALT+TAB, global hotkeys, Win-key combinations don't work after updating to november 2015 build

Hello. I have some really annoying things after update.

1. Alt+Tab has an old WinXP-style with small icons, not windows 10 style.

2. Most hotkeys with Win-key don't work. For example, Win+TAB (Task View), Win+D (Show desktop), Win+S (Search) and others (probably any hotkeys with letters in it). But work normally: Win-key itself (Start menu), Win+RIGHT/LEFT/UP/DOWN (snap window). Win+TAB
    works like regular TAB in applications, Win+D like D and so on.

3. Global hotkeys in Windows desktop applications don't work. For example, I can't use any hotkey for keepass activation. Or any hotkeys in PotPlayer (it's a media player) with global flag on it. But hotkeys in Autohotkey works just fine.

EDIT: Strange behavior: if I register Ctrl+Shift+Alt+<Any letter> global hotkey, it trigger if I press just Ctrl+Shift+Alt (without letter).

stas274, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Microsoft Designer Keyboard special keys not working properly

Hello,

I am having a similar issue with the Microsoft Designer Keyboard. I am using the keyboard with an HP Spectre x360( latest 4k model) that is connected to an external display. Anyway, I initially had issues with the hotkeys for volume, brightness and
    media controls.
    After having no success with adjusting any of the settings, I proceeded to Remove the bluetooth device and then add it back. This resolved the issue and the hotkeys were all working. The hotkeys continue to work even in and
    out of Sleep Mode. HOWEVER, upon turning off and on the computer, the hotkeys no longer work.
    The keyboard then exhibits the 15-character behavior as initially stated in this thread (keys do no activate until 15 characters have been pressed; then proceed to display all 15+ characters after the fact). The hotkeys work again only when I proceed
    remove and re-add the bluetooth device. To provide a working example with another bluetooth device, I have no connection issues with my Logitech MX Master.

OmarBuenaventura, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Vinnydude Win User

Media HotKey Not Working

Still no joy.

I edited my registry so that the app key triggers .p3 instead of cd, but it still won't open itunes.

I went back into the default app by type and changed mpo3 to op[en vlc and that opened fine, but changing it back to mp3, it doesn't open itunes.

I can open itunes manually but not with my keyboard media key. *Sad

Vinnydude, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

Media HotKey Not Working

1. Media HotKey Not Working - Similar Threads - Media HotKey Working

2. Airplane mode hotkey not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Airplane mode hotkey not working: Hello Microsoft Community,I'm facing an issue with the airplane mode hotkey F7 on my Lenovo Ideapad L340 Gaming Laptop. After performing a clean restore, the hotkey has stopped functioning. I've searched for suitable drivers on the Lenovo website...
  3. Game hotkeys not working and instead it uses keyboard hotkeys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game hotkeys not working and instead it uses keyboard hotkeys.: Basically, in every game I play the hotkeys for f1-f9 dont work because my keyboard has special hotkeys for them such as turning up brightness or lowering volume etc. i want to make it so that my computer prioritizes the game hotkeys instead of the keyboard hotkeysheres a...
  4. Game hotkeys not working and instead it uses keyboard hotkeys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game hotkeys not working and instead it uses keyboard hotkeys.: Basically, in every game I play the hotkeys for f1-f9 dont work because my keyboard has special hotkeys for them such as turning up brightness or lowering volume etc. i want to make it so that my computer prioritizes the game hotkeys instead of the keyboard hotkeysheres a...
  5. Shortcut/HotKey for Application Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut/HotKey for Application Not Working: I recently learned that I can assign a specific hotkey to open up an application such as "ctrl + alt + s" to open Spotify. However, when I attempt to use the hotkey I have assigned for Microsoft Edge, it will not work. I have to go in, reassign the hotkey, and then, until I...
  6. Some hotkeys not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some hotkeys not working: I have an Asus vivobook that has hotkeys available and can be activated by pressing the fn+desired key. Recently, the shortcut fn + f7 for screen off and fn + f9 shortcut for disabling touchpad is not working. Other functions such as fn + f5,f6 for adjusting brightness and fn...
  7. Some fn hotkeys not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some fn hotkeys not working: So I recently changed the hard drive on my laptop to an ssd, but since I did that some of my fn hotkeys don't work anymore, but some other do. For example the volume/brightness up and down work just fine, but pause/play, next, prev and stop don't work Is there any way to fix...
  8. Several hotkeys are not working

Several hotkeys are not working: My microphone, camera, and airplane mode hot keys do not work. (f4,f7,f8). The f# part works fine, it's the hotkey part that does not work. I have tried updating and reinstalling the drivers, but to no avail. Factory resetting does not work either. The microphone and camera...
  9. Hotkeys not working properly.

Hotkeys not working properly.: Asus r542uq windows 10 pro build 17763.107 My laptop has hotkeys on the f1-f12 keys and on the arrow keys. I have ATK package installed which manages the hotkeys. Now after startup, all the hotkeys on f1-f12 work properly, although the ones on the arrow keys (music...
  10. some hotkeys are not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    some hotkeys are not working: some of the hotkeys like camera f6 key, flightmode f7 key, microphone f8, key isn't working after win 10 update and also when I press the hotkey its logo is not displaying...