Windows 10: Media keys not controlling the good audio device.

Discus and support Media keys not controlling the good audio device. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My mute and volume media keys don't control the good selected audio device output in windows. It always seem to control my USB Headset even if it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FreddyKrug, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Media keys not controlling the good audio device.

My mute and volume media keys don't control the good selected audio device output in windows. It always seem to control my USB Headset even if it is not the current active device in windows.

After many research, I found that for some reasons, if an audio device is connected through the same USB port hub as a keyboard with media keys, those keys will only control that device even if it is not the device that is currently selected in windows.

This has for effect to make my media keys completely useless just because I have a USB headset connected through the same USB hub as my keyboard.

Windows should not make that assumption that those keys are exclusive to that device just because they are connected to the same port.

Is there an option to fix this issue or is it one of those things that only Microsoft can fix which they will never do?

Changing my USB hub switch isn't an option since I need my peripherals to control 2 different computers.

:)

FreddyKrug, Oct 7, 2020

2. Audio control keys won't work on Windows 10

Hi Agic,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation with the audio control keys won't work on your Windows phone. We're happy to assist you to fix your issue.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your system?
    • Is the issue specific to the audio control keys?
    I suggest you to try these following methods and check, if the issue still persists.

Method 1:

I suggest you to run “Hardware and Devices” troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.
    • Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.
    • Follow the On Screen instructions.
    Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to uninstall and re-install audio drivers from the manufacturer website. Check if it helps.

1. Click on Windows key + X and then, select Device Manager.

2. Open device manager.

3. Expand ‘Sound Video and Game Controllers”.

4. Right-click on ‘High Definition Audio Device and select ‘uninstall’.

5. Follow the prompt and restart the computer.

Now re-install latest audio driver from the manufacturer website.

Let's refer to the link below:

Fix sound problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope it helps. Reply with the result and I'll be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Oct 7, 2020
  3. volume control error

Hi Akash,

The issue with volume control could have happened due to the corrupted or outdated driver. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the 2 methods below:

Method 1: Run the Audio Troubleshooter on the system.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Sound. We would suggest you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Audio

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key+X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view as an option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the playing Audio troubleshooter

Method 2. Uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers from the manufacturer website.

Follow the steps to update the audio drivers:

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.
    • Right-click on the Sound card and click on Uninstall.
    • Install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer website.

Let us know the result for us to assist you further.

Anthony Gal, Oct 7, 2020
  4. Media keys not controlling the good audio device.

Audio device

Hi Rajamannar,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

This issue may occur due to the audio and display driver is out dated. Let’s try simple troubleshooting methods and check if it helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods information provided.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run sound audio troubleshooter, it will automatically detect the problem and fix it. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + R and click on
      Control Panel

• Click on View by: category and click on
      Small icon.

• Now click on troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on Playing Audio and Click on Next button.
    If the issue still persist try the below steps:

Method 2.

I recommend you to update the audio driver and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager
    • Now click on Audio input and output and right click on it and
      update the driver.
    • For the video issues try the below method.
    Method 3.

Also I suggest you to update the display driver and let us know the status.

• Press Windows Key + R and type
      devmgmt.msc in the box and hit Enter.

• Locate and Expand the Display Adapter driver.

• Right Click on the Display Device.

• Click on update.
    Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 7, 2020
Thema:

Media keys not controlling the good audio device.

1. Media keys not controlling the good audio device. - Similar Threads - Media keys controlling

2. Ps4 controller is seen as audio device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ps4 controller is seen as audio device: I feel as if I have done everything, from resetting the controller with the button, to installing ds4 to uninstalling. Is there any way for me to force my pc to not see it as an audio device?...
  3. PS4 Controller Indentified as an Audio Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PS4 Controller Indentified as an Audio Device: Can anybody help me, because my pc identify my ps5 dualsense controller as an audio deviceI know that I have to:1. Click on Start icon.2. Type Control Panel and press Enter.3. Click on Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.4. Double click on the controller and go to...
  4. MEDIA - High Definition Audio Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MEDIA - High Definition Audio Device: Hi,I have got a Laptop from a friend of mine back in Oct 2021 an it did have windows 10 on it an the computer couldn't handle it so I was able to get it back to Windows 8.1 that's not the problem that I am having with the Laptop..I have got a MEDIA - High Definition Audio...
  5. MEDIA - High Definition Audio Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MEDIA - High Definition Audio Device: Hi,I have got a Laptop from a friend of mine back in Oct 2021 an it did have windows 10 on it an the computer couldn't handle it so I was able to get it back to Windows 8.1 that's not the problem that I am having with the Laptop..I have got a MEDIA - High Definition Audio...
  6. PS4 controller recognized as an audio device

PS4 controller recognized as an audio device: every time I plug in my ps4 controller its it seen as an audio device I've tried using the built in troubleshooter and that doesn't work I've tried disabling it and uninstalling it and that doesn't work I've tried pushing the pin hole on the back to reset it that doesn't work...
  7. No audio device found but there is in Control Panelel

No audio device found but there is in Control Panelel: Hello, I have a strange issue at my main system (see my specs). The taskbar icon for sound is the speaker with the red X and it reports that no input or output audio device is found. Running the troubleshooter finds no problems. In Device Manager the sound card and all audio...
  8. media key handling controlling

in Windows 10 Customization
    media key handling controlling: so I used to have this and I controlled it with my headset volume buttoncloud flight, now I have switched it to arctic 7 wireless and this is not working with the volume button. I tried to go to the google flags something page and switch from default to enabled but it's still...
  9. Controller on the pc as audio device?

Controller on the pc as audio device?: Hey, my headset is broken, jz I want to use my controller as a headset, so to speak. at that time, but jz no longer worked. since the controller is only a jack, I can use my headphones temporarily, this works with the controller you Controller aufm pc als audiogerät?
  10. advanced control over audio devices

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    advanced control over audio devices: Hey, I would like to do something that seems trivial to me as a programmer, but I am a Linux guy so no idea how to achieve that on Windows 10. Just help me to start out. I would like to output audio to two hardware devices simultanously via bluetooth, but filter out left...