Windows 10: Media overlay causes certain games to lock frames to 30 after KB5001649 update

Discus and support Media overlay causes certain games to lock frames to 30 after KB5001649 update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, after updating to the newest version of windows, when I use media keys on my keyboard when i'm playing a game, it causes my game to lock up at 30... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Joke-United, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Media overlay causes certain games to lock frames to 30 after KB5001649 update

Hi, after updating to the newest version of windows, when I use media keys on my keyboard when i'm playing a game, it causes my game to lock up at 30 fps until the overlay goes away. Before this update it was never doing this, does anyone know how I can fix this? I've tried uninstalling the update and it seems to still be doing it.

submitted by /u/Joke-United
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Joke-United, Mar 23, 2021

2. locked frames while gaming on second screen after creator's update

after the creator's update when i try to game on my second screen it locks the frames at 60, every time i drop a frame it lowers in steps of 10 until i'm stuck at 40-30. this is not the case when just playing on the screen of my laptop. Love some help to
    unlock the frames on the second screen as well, thank you.

toondewindt, Mar 23, 2021
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Having an issue with Windows Media overlay popup while gaming

i don't know why it would cause a drop in game frame rate, in which case it may be better if i step back and see if anyone else can offer a solution.

the only other thing i can suggest is to open task manager and see what resources are peaking when changing the volume whilst playing the game, see if you can find what is using the resources

Martmcd, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Sasqui Win User

Media overlay causes certain games to lock frames to 30 after KB5001649 update

Radeon Overlay not displaying all options

Ok, I got a question. The options to hide the overlay are confusing. What are the steps to turn on the overlay in-game? Not interested in logging much at the moment. Is Alt-R part of turning it on/off?

Sasqui, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

Media overlay causes certain games to lock frames to 30 after KB5001649 update

1. Media overlay causes certain games to lock frames to 30 after KB5001649 update - Similar Threads - Media overlay causes

2. Media Key Overlay

in Windows 10 Customization
    Media Key Overlay: Somewhere inside Windows, there must be a way to disable this feature entirely.I have disabled Hardware Media Key Handling like it's described everywhere,I have done this in both Google Chrome and Edge, however, when my phonesystem rings, the overlay is bach - its only gone...
  3. KB5001649

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5001649: Hello, I am currently having issues with one of my programs from running. I have figured out that it is due to KB Windows Security KB5001649. I tried uninstalling this update but that did not work. How can i go back to a previous version? Thanks, Nick...
  4. Random disappearing icon after updating to 20H2 (kb5001649)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random disappearing icon after updating to 20H2 (kb5001649): I updated to kb5001649 and within 5-10 minutes after reboot, an icon appears for a split second then disappears. solution is to reset PC Here's the icon Edit: I removed the update and will report back if the icon still pops up submitted by /u/Dirkei [link] [comments]...
  5. KB5001649

KB5001649: I tried to install it through windows updates and that was failing. That is what brought me to the community website and everyone was saying they had best luck installing it manually through the Microsoft catalog. I am having issues installing this update manually. It...
  6. Certain apps overlay one pixel.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Certain apps overlay one pixel.: A couple months ago I had built my own computer and quickly noticed that certain full screen apps such as Twitch and Spotify will overlay one pixel onto my other monitor when full screened. I have not been able to find anyone else with this issue, but I am worried it has to...
  7. Windows Media Overlay causing fullscreen game to flicker on and off.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Media Overlay causing fullscreen game to flicker on and off.: Recently I have been having this issue where whenever I use my dedicated media controls on my headset or keyboard while playing a Fulls creen game or watching a fulls creen youtube video the screen flickers once when the overlay pops up and then flickers again when the...
  8. Volume and media overlay is missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume and media overlay is missing: Contrary to popular opinion, I use my media overlay a lot. I really like it. After a recent restart of my computer, it disappeared. The volume change buttons as well as the brightness ones still work, the overlay is just gone. Google has told me that most people have this...
  9. Certain Games Frame Skip Whenever A Key Is Pressed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certain Games Frame Skip Whenever A Key Is Pressed: It seems to only happen with a couple games I've tried on the Microsoft Store so far. I recently purchased the game pass so have been downloading games for my PC to try out. But for Halo and Dead by Daylight, I started up the game just fine and everything runs smoothly until...
  10. OS update caused Windows-10 to lock up after 20-30 minutes

OS update caused Windows-10 to lock up after 20-30 minutes: An OS update from about a week or two ago caused headphone audio out to go dead (even though the control panel does see the signal) AND Windows-10 locks up after 20-30 minutes, regardless of activity. Need suggestions for resolving these issues....