Windows 10: media playback stalls and requires reboots Dell XPS 8930 WIN10

Discus and support media playback stalls and requires reboots Dell XPS 8930 WIN10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Every time I turn on my computer, I find I have to reboot in order to play audio or video files. I have seen many threads saying the problem is with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DaveyMoore, Sep 28, 2020.

1. media playback stalls and requires reboots Dell XPS 8930 WIN10

Every time I turn on my computer, I find I have to reboot in order to play audio or video files. I have seen many threads saying the problem is with Windows 10. If so, what is the fix? I have been to Dell and uploaded all updates they have for this machine, and no change with this situation so far. Please assist. ///Thank You////

:)

DaveyMoore, Sep 28, 2020
  2. Compumind Win User

How to address high Temps in XPS 8930

Hi there!

Well, it appears that I have a "solution" for another of my XPS-8930's with a Core i7-8700 (Non-K) -
    Have yet to try it though. My XPS 8930 Core i7-8700-K already has the new Sink and Fan from the factory.

Please watch this video -

I called Dell and ordered the parts at no cost via ProSupport in the USA without a single issue under warranty.
    The new parts have now arrived as in the video. Note that the new heat sink already has a square patch of thermal compound applied. Be careful.

Dell Heatsink part number: T57JF
    Dell Fan part number: KTDJC

Next, download Core Temp (it's free) and go with the defaults. Get the temperature results before and after the modifications.

Core Temp

Here is the link for the XPS 8930 Service Manual - look for the Fan and Sink installation and removal instructions, Pages 84-89.
    You will also see pictures of the new Fan and Sink - that tells me something, lol!

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/xps-...nual_en-us.pdf

Do not accept "No" as an answer.

Please post back and advise.

Thanks. *Think

Compumind, Sep 28, 2020
  3. DVD on Win10 system does not recognize writeable media

The DVD drive on my new Dell XPS-8930 with full recent Win 10 update (except the latest KB4537572) does not recognize writable media.

The DVD reads media that already has content, however when I put a blank disk in it, and click on the drive in Win Explorer, the system "please insert a disk" and then pops an error message saying "the parameter is
    incorrect".

After getting the new XPS and using LapLink to move my applications to it, I did not initially use the DVD drive. After a few weeks, when I did try to use it, I found the error.

Working with Dell and trying everything suggested on the internet (e.g. check registry key for "UpperLimit" and related) we could not figure out what the cause was, and eventually ended up reinstalling Win10.

The DVD drive worked on fresh Win10 install, but then did NOT work AFTER

1) a Laplink reinstall of my apps which

2) suggested a full Win10 update ("current OS version is older that the one at the time of your applications backups"), which

3) I performed.

An external USB DVD drive shows the same problem, and it works fine on another PC.

Laplink says they have no record of their software EVER having done caused a DVD error like this (I asked them to double check). However the cause might still be one of the applications that LapLink re-installed.

SO, Dell wanted to eliminate the OS update as a possibility.

I'm preparing to do that OS install, however, I'm still hoping there might be a fix for the DVD problem that does not require this.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

pixelsandbits, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Sinjin99 Win User

media playback stalls and requires reboots Dell XPS 8930 WIN10

Dell XPS HDD Replacement - PC Won't Start Up; Can't Get to BIOS

I haven't performed any steps yet, so let me address some of your questions:

Dell XPS 8930 Desktop

1. Replaced the HDD.

2. Downloaded Dell's OS Recovery Tool to build an installation media file (USB).

3. Followed directions to reset the new HDD (Dell's AssistSupport).

4. Media installation completed and I removed the USB.

5. Initial steps of install performed fine. Was presented with initial Windows install screens.

6. Prompted to establish internet connection. Successfully connected with personal wifi.

7. Windows proceeded with install; provided message of "We have important <steps to perform>"

8. Walked away for 60-90 minutes and when i returned, there was a black screen.

9. Waited 30 minutes and nothing. Turned PC off.

Now:

• When attempting to boot up PC, i see there is power in the PC tower (fan, etc), but the monitor never wakes up and i cannot see if there is a Dell logo appearing.
    • The keyboard and mouse light up but i can't tell if they are responsive.
    • I'm double checking the monitor now. When I plug my laptop (different device) to the monitor, it recognizes the device (monitor is not in power saving mode) but it doesn't display my laptop.
    I need to rule out the monitor first and then see if I need the CMOS.

Sinjin99, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

media playback stalls and requires reboots Dell XPS 8930 WIN10

1. media playback stalls and requires reboots Dell XPS 8930 WIN10 - Similar Threads - media playback stalls

2. Dell Xps 8930 stuck on dell loading screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Xps 8930 stuck on dell loading screen: Hey guys,After using the power button to force a shutdown on my pc, I have encountered some issues with booting it up. The first 30 seconds is normal, but while the dell logo is shown and is loading, the screen freezes entirely. I have tried restarting again, but that attempt...
  3. Dell Xps 8930 stuck on dell loading screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell Xps 8930 stuck on dell loading screen: Hey guys,After using the power button to force a shutdown on my pc, I have encountered some issues with booting it up. The first 30 seconds is normal, but while the dell logo is shown and is loading, the screen freezes entirely. I have tried restarting again, but that attempt...
  4. Advice upgrading dell xps 8930 to windows 11

Advice upgrading dell xps 8930 to windows 11: Hi Everyone.I am wondering if it is safe to upgrade my dell xps 8930 to windows 11?I spoke to dell and they really were very vague and did not offer any help at all.I have heard and read that the Dell xps 8930 has been tested and will run windows 11.Please find my system...
  5. Advice upgrading dell xps 8930 to windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advice upgrading dell xps 8930 to windows 11: Hi Everyone.I am wondering if it is safe to upgrade my dell xps 8930 to windows 11?I spoke to dell and they really were very vague and did not offer any help at all.I have heard and read that the Dell xps 8930 has been tested and will run windows 11.Please find my system...
  6. XPS 8930 card reader

XPS 8930 card reader: I would like to know how I find out if the memory card reader on my XPS 8930 desk top will work with the type of memory card I have? I am a novice pc user so any help appreciated. Thank you in advance....
  7. XPS 8930 card reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    XPS 8930 card reader: I would like to know how I find out if the memory card reader on my XPS 8930 desk top will work with the type of memory card I have? I am a novice pc user so any help appreciated. Thank you in advance....
  8. Need Archive of old Dell XPS 8930 CPU bios .

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need Archive of old Dell XPS 8930 CPU bios .: Many years have past, so I have not yet had luck locating these old Intel CPU bios. I dont want the new bios as its a barrier to system tweaks I want . Bios sites I remember from the past no longer exist . Maybe going back to 2015 - 18 ish . Any help locating these is...
  9. Dell XPS 8930 and 1903 Network Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dell XPS 8930 and 1903 Network Issues: We have about 10 of these in Marketing. Twice now I've installed 1903 on two of them and had to roll back due to some, not all, websites not showing up. You get the Ooops, page not found error. I didn't note any sites other than Adobe.com. This was the main issue since the...
  10. Dell XPS 8930 Boots straight into Windows!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dell XPS 8930 Boots straight into Windows!: This is the second XPS that Dell sent me that has this problem I believe the BIOS comes up after tapping F2 but you can't see it!. The only way around it is to remove the secondary graphics card and boot from the onboard video card to get to the BIOS or Safe Mode etc. You...