Windows 10: Media Player can't play downloaded file

Discus and support Media Player can't play downloaded file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Bought and downloaded file from Amazon Prime. Thought file would be downloaded and saved as Mp3. Actually saved in Downloads as sng. Media player... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jamesie1234, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Media Player can't play downloaded file

Bought and downloaded file from Amazon Prime.

Thought file would be downloaded and saved as Mp3.

Actually saved in Downloads as sng.

Media player can't play this file type.

What can I do?

:)

Jamesie1234, Mar 6, 2019
  2. Yaqub K Win User

windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Mar 6, 2019
  3. happita Win User
    A player that can play RMVB files?

All I have is windows media player 10, and it doesn't recognize the file type. I was wondering what kind of FREE software I need in order to play RMVB files. I haven't tried any of the other players as I am reluctant because I've had bad experiences with them in the past. Any suggestions would be great *Smile Media Player can't play downloaded file :)

happita, Mar 6, 2019
  4. Media Player can't play downloaded file

can't play avi-files in windows media player or in xbox

Hi Mavagle,

Windows Media Player and Xbox support AVI files. With the problem you've encountered, there could be changes on your computer or could be unsupported contents on the AVI files that may have caused your Windows Media Player and Xbox to stop play those files.

For us to verify this, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes performed on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What version of Windows Media Player do you have?
    • Have you set Windows Media Player as the default app for your AVI files?

In the meantime, please check the current version of your Windows Media Player. See this
    link for the steps. Check also if Windows Media Player was set as the default apps to open media
    files. Follow these steps:

• Open Settings, then click System.
    • In the left pane, click Defaults apps, then click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Under the Name column, scroll down to AVI File, then select
      Windows Media Player as the default app for it.
    • Once done, check if you're now able to play AVI files.

You may also see
    File types supported by Windows Media Player
    for more information.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

Media Player can't play downloaded file

1. Media Player can't play downloaded file - Similar Threads - Media Player can't

2. When I download a file Media Player opens and begins to play the file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I download a file Media Player opens and begins to play the file.: Whenever I download a video file the Media Player opens and begins to play the file I just downloaded. It didn't use to do this and I can't figure out how to stop this....
  3. When I download a file Media Player opens and begins to play the file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I download a file Media Player opens and begins to play the file.: Whenever I download a video file the Media Player opens and begins to play the file I just downloaded. It didn't use to do this and I can't figure out how to stop this....
  4. WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER CAN'T PLAY FILES

WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER CAN'T PLAY FILES: WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER CAN'T PLAY FILES AND NO ART WORK https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-cant-play-files/f372ab07-9022-438c-b994-e47ad2750a0f
  5. WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER CAN'T PLAY FILES

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER CAN'T PLAY FILES: WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER CAN'T PLAY FILES AND NO ART WORK https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-cant-play-files/f372ab07-9022-438c-b994-e47ad2750a0f
  6. WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER CAN'T PLAY FILES

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.What to do ?...
  8. Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...

Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.What to do ?...
  9. Can't play DVD's on Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't play DVD's on Windows Media Player: Why can't I play DVD's in Windows Media Player? This seems like something I should be able to do! TEll me how! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-play-dvds-on-windows-media-player/ea449b05-98a3-461e-9ae8-06d05fabfa34
  10. Windows Media Player cannot play the file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file....