Windows 10: Media Player File Issue

Discus and support Media Player File Issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; We use Media Player for our stored music library. There are approximately 250,000 individual audio files in the library. Media Player consistently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ToddTempleton1, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Media Player File Issue

We use Media Player for our stored music library. There are approximately 250,000 individual audio files in the library. Media Player consistently cannot "find" the files and reports that the files are "missing", which they are not. The same files when access from a play list play just fine. It appears that the difference is that the play lists are stored as XML files with the actual file paths, whereas Media Player is using an index schema. At least, there are a large number of .IDX files in the library, which, presumably, are file and search indexes built by Media Player. I have already tried rebuilding the Media Player database in the user profile Microsoft folder, but, while that helped a little, the problem still persists.

1) Is there any way, or point, to rebuild the Media Player indexes?

2) Does Media Player have a hard or practical limit on the number of files it can index?

3) Will moving the files to a new file structure, removing the existing library, and building a new library from the new location fix the problem?

:)

ToddTempleton1, Jan 6, 2019
  2. Yaqub K Win User

windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Jan 6, 2019
  3. Issues with sound on Media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are having audio related issues with the media files.

To assist you better, I would like to know whether the issue is specific to media player. Are you able to play music files from other players?

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to refer to the article provided below and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Also run the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter and check if that helps to resolve the issue.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select View all on the top left corner.

• Click Windows Media Player Settings.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 6, 2019
  4. Media Player File Issue

Windows Media Player in Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest you to try this method and check for the issue.

Run the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter
    and check, if the issue persists.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

a. Press “Windows key” on your keyboard.

b. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.

c. Now select Programs in the search option.

d. Under Media Player, select Windows Media Player Settings
    to run the troubleshooter.

Hope this helps, let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

Media Player File Issue

1. Media Player File Issue - Similar Threads - Media Player File

2. An media player open issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An media player open issue: my laptop was stuck in restart, thats why, I formatted it with keep my files option. After it my study media player is not starting .It showing following reasons-1. may be c drive has not free space.2. may be you want to open two playes at same time. plzz help....
  3. windows media player issues.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player issues.: Windows media player keep asking that I insert a blank CD and .A cd is in there. I tried all your suggestions without any resolve. I need a real tech support person....
  4. Issues with VLC Media Player

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues with VLC Media Player: I use VLC Media Player for watching .mkv file formats but there is now an issue occurring and has occurred many times now. The player seems to be unresponsive after it glitches, the video and audio continue but my mouse clicks and keyboard commands seem to be unresponsive....
  5. Media Player Ripping Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Media Player Ripping Issues: When I try to Rip a CD, the program closes after a couple seconds. All I get in the folder is the track numbers but otherwise it is empty. Why and what do I need to change??...
  6. Issues with VLC Media Player

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with VLC Media Player: Hi; I [finally] migrated from Windows 7 (ultimate) to Windows 10 (pro) on Jan 1. So far, I am pretty happy with the OS; much more so than when I first installed 10 as a 2nd OS in a multiple boot system (sharing with Win 7 & Ubuntu). That was back in 2016. It appears that...
  7. Windows Media Player issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Media Player issue: When using WMP 12 on Windows 10, i noticed it acting differently from when it was on Windows 7. When you go into any bands albums section, where the have more than one album, lets say for this example, The Beatles. We all know how big they're collection is, when you include...
  8. windows media player issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows media player issue: why does windows media player have to retrieve all my music every time i open it? it takes several hours each time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-issue/d7c2462c-6118-43d1-b1cc-46ce04822d97
  9. Windows Media Player issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player issue: I was having an issue with WMP turning off Network Streaming randomly. After Googling this for a resolution, I came across a post suggesting I go into Services.msc, and to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, make sure that it is set to Automatic, and on the Log tab,...
  10. Windows Media Player issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Media Player issue: I was having an issue with WMP turning off Network Streaming randomly. After Googling this for a resolution, I came across a post suggesting I go into Services.msc, and to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, make sure that it is set to Automatic, and on the Log tab,...