Windows 10: "Media Write Protected" on my actual computer hard drive

Discus and support "Media Write Protected" on my actual computer hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All my screenshots and photos on my computer hard drive today say "Media Write Protected" does anyone know how to fix this? Yesterday they were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Druids#1, May 14, 2020.

1. Druids#1 Win User

"Media Write Protected" on my actual computer hard drive

All my screenshots and photos on my computer hard drive today say "Media Write Protected" does anyone know how to fix this? Yesterday they were fine.....

Thanks for any and all help!

:)

Druids#1, May 14, 2020

2. hard drive not accessible stating "The media is write protected."

Hello,

I sent an external hard drive to a tape backup company.

The company stated that the drive is not accessible with the error message, "The media is write protected."

Any suggestions?

williamj

williamj78, May 14, 2020
  3. Gettign error "device is write protected" for External Hard drive in Windows 10

Hello Neil,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

Are you getting the same error when you access the External Hard drive on another computers?

When you see the message "Device is Write Protected", then it indicates that you have limited set of privileges for performing operation on the Hard disk. In simple, you're not allowed to write the drive, apart from reading it. This because the drive is
    write-protected. Suggest you to try with the below steps and check it they help you.

1. Right-click on Start button and select Command Prompt(Admin).

2. Type diskpart and press Enter.

3. Now type list volume and press Enter. Now see the volume number the external drive.

4. Then type select volume #, where # is the number of the drive which is showing "write-protected" error. Example,
    select volume 3.

5. Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.

• Executing the above command line will reset the Hard drive USB's properties by clearing the Read-Only behavior, so that it is no longer read-only.
    6. Type exit and press Enter. Now check if it allows you do access the drive for writing the content.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 14, 2020
  4. "Media Write Protected" on my actual computer hard drive

Write Protection On PC Hard Drives - Denied Access Worked Before Feb 11th 2020 Update - Possibly??

Greg,

Thanks for responding promptly, appreciate that!!

So far I've been reading some of your links and used the Ease US Tools M.

Instead I've used the command prompt to perform the steps

Remove Write Protection on USB/SD/Internal/External Hard Drive in Windows 10/8/7 – EaseUS

It actually failed on the 0 drive.

The Ease US Tools M software, it for some reason shows the C drive but will not let me use the drop down list

and show C only F Drive which was connected to my computer (external trying something else). Cannot do anything with C maybe not visible so
    I can un-protect or remove Write protection on the drive (C).

Still going through your links/suggestions - but thanks for all your list of options.

hopefully something here will click and actually work to fix the issue -weird never before have I experienced this.

This is an HP Omen Desktop purchased in November 2018.

Mike

Mikey Mate, May 14, 2020
Thema:

"Media Write Protected" on my actual computer hard drive

1. "Media Write Protected" on my actual computer hard drive - Similar Threads - Media Write Protected

2. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  3. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  4. The media is write-protected

The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  5. The media is write-protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  6. this media is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  7. this media is write protected

this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  8. Hard drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive is write protected: How do I remove write protection from by hard drive used for file backups? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-is-write-protected/ec396705-cfcf-42aa-a095-6bfccafbb251
  9. "Media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Media is write protected": I was always able to click on an icon and view a photo on my PC. Now this message pops up. Please help. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-is-write-protected/aff97eae-a941-4807-8205-6caea7aea58a"
  10. The media is write protected.

The media is write protected.: I keep getting a strange error when I try to open PNG files in Photos, "The media is write protected." None of the files are read only, and I can edit them in any way I want, it only pops up when I try to open them in Photos. Any way to fix this?...