Windows 10: Medium icon size keeps changing

Discus and support Medium icon size keeps changing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Since a couple of days, the medium size icons are displayed as small icons on my desktop and file explorers. The size switches at random times.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stevend, Mar 10, 2020.

1. stevend Win User

Medium icon size keeps changing

Hello,

Since a couple of days, the medium size icons are displayed as small icons on my desktop and file explorers.
    The size switches at random times. After a reboot the icons stay fine (medium size) for a while, but then change to small size.

This always happens for URL shortcuts, but also sometimes for other file types at random.
    In the file explorer, when I change the view option, the "Medium Icons" option shows the exact same icons as the "Small icons" when hovering over the options.

I cleared the icon cache, but this hasn't solved the issue.

Don't know what is triggering this behavior. Best guess is that it happens when I save a file to the desktop.
    When I save a PDF for example, it seems that the URL shortcut icons and PDF file icons switch from medium size to small.

Sometimes, after a while this spontaneous changes back to the correct size. But most of the time a reboot is needed.

Any ideas? This is pretty annoying.

Windows version: Windows 10 Home version 1909

:)

stevend, Mar 10, 2020
  2. Nit3H8wk Win User

Desktop icons keep changing to medium size on reboot

I had my desktop icons set to small but as of today every time i reboot the icons keep changing back to medium size. I am on windows 10 x64.

Nit3H8wk, Mar 10, 2020
  3. Noela Tum Win User
    Some Google Shortcut Icons appear as empty folders when I choose to display the medium size icon on desktop

Hello,

Your desktop icons are an awesome way to keep track of your favorite programs. Since you mentioned that you've successfully updated the icons for your Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar and Google Contacts then that means they should be easier to find.

The Gmail and Google Contact desktop icons doesn't show up with the updated picture when they're viewed in medium size. To resolve the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Where did you download the icons?
    • Can you give us a screenshot of the medium-sized icons on your desktop?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Noela Tum, Mar 10, 2020
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

Font and Icon size

Hi Vickie,

It's possible that some settings were accidentally changed, affecting your icons and font size. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps to change the icon size:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Select View.
    • Choose Medium icons or Small icons, whichever you prefer more.

Additionally, you can change the display size of texts and other items by following these steps:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Click Display settings.
    • Under Change the size of text, apps, and other items, drag the slider over to 100%.
    • If the slider is already on 100%, click Advanced display settings.
    • Under Resolution, choose the Recommended option from the drop-down choices.

We'll wait for your response to our questions and the results of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Mar 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Medium icon size keeps changing - Similar Threads - Medium icon size

2. Change Taskbar Icon Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Taskbar Icon Size: I never commanded my taskbar to change anything so maybe this came with an update but I do not need extra large icons on my task bar just to see what I'm clicking on. I click on the taks bar to change the icon saize and click on taskbar settings and it's not even an option!...
  3. How to change folder icon for empty and full for medium size folders and up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change folder icon for empty and full for medium size folders and up.: This is what I have so far as a registry entry. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]"2"="\"D:\\Icons\\Dark-Gray-Folder.ico\"""3"="\"D:\\Icons\\Dark-Gray-Folder.ico\""Can someone please show me how to edit this entry so that I...
  4. How to change folder icon for empty and full for medium size folders and up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change folder icon for empty and full for medium size folders and up.: This is what I have so far as a registry entry. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]"2"="\"D:\\Icons\\Dark-Gray-Folder.ico\"""3"="\"D:\\Icons\\Dark-Gray-Folder.ico\""Can someone please show me how to edit this entry so that I...
  5. Desktop icons changed size?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons changed size?: I had my desktop really nice and organised, all the icons were the default size and such. however i took my pc with me on holiday and plugged it into an external TV which in turn changed all my icons around and it changed their size . i thought it would be fine as when i...
  6. Changing the size of desktop icons

Changing the size of desktop icons: Hello, When I place a shortcut to a file on the desktop it assigns the default icon (e.g. Word or Excel icon) and this is approx 80 x 80 pixels. If I then change that icon to one that I've created it displays at approx 40 x 40 pixels (choosing an icon from the icons folder...
  7. "Change Icon..." yields a Medium-size icon only when I select an ICO file -- why and how do...

"Change Icon..." yields a Medium-size icon only when I select an ICO file -- why and how do...: I have valid ICO files (created from PNG files by IrfanView from the Windows Store). If my desktop icon view is set to Large icons (right-click on desktop -> View -> Large icons) and if I right click on a shortcut on my desktop, select Properties -> Shortcut tab -> Change...
  8. Medium And Small Icons Together

Medium And Small Icons Together: Hi: For some reason Windows 10 likes to display both “medium and small” icons together in the same folders. I have them set for medium but when I open a folder most of the icons are medium but one, two or three are small. Most of the time when I back out of the...
  9. Windows 10 Keep Changing Icons Size

Windows 10 Keep Changing Icons Size: Hey all. I'm using windows 10 x64 pro. Whenever i opened my game folder some games icon keep resized. I want all of them big. And all of them have a big icon picture. So this not about small picture. When i opened folder first time everything works fine. All icons size...
  10. Medium And Small Icons Together

in Windows 10 Support
    Medium And Small Icons Together: Hi: For some reason Windows 10 likes to display both “medium and small” icons together in the same folders. I have them set for medium but when I open a folder most of the icons are medium but one, two or three are small. Most of the time when I back out of the...