Windows 10: Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM

Discus and support Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Two ways -- pass the pci device of say the SSD or whatever to your Windows Guest - then use Native file system If you can't pass the pci... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Mar 23, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM

Hi folks
    Two ways -- pass the pci device of say the SSD or whatever to your Windows Guest - then use Native file system
    If you can't pass the pci device then create a virtio disk - then before booting up change the xml for that disk to :

<disk type="file" device="disk">
    <driver name="qemu" type="raw" cache="none" io="native"/> "This line only -- leave every thing else !!!!
    <source file="/mnt/DV2/XPVIORAW"/>
    <target dev="vdb" bus="virtio"/>
    <address type="pci" domain="0x0000" bus="0x00" slot="0x0a" function="0x0"/>
    </disk>

The RAW and native I/O file is the key -- then on ist boot of the VM use DISKPART windows command to format the disk and assign a letter and then use any live linux distro (can be 64 bit OS for this purpose) with dd command to clone existing disk to new one if you want to use that as your Windows OS disk. the disk will be /dev/vda /dev/vdb . You can also use Macrium stand alone bootable iso provided it has the virtio drivers in it - that's why probably better to use Linux live iso for cloning.

(If you use the GUI virtual machine manager just enable xml editing and open the XML section for the disk if you don't like virsh command line - probably better to use the GUI if you are relative beginners at this).

Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM [​IMG]

For Windows 10 using Macrium to clone to RAW (Native FS) HDD

BTW for people using XP VM's the easiest way to clone a disk is to boot any current linux iso (the bios will support 64 bit virtual OS) from WITHIN the GUEST, note you have to add the cd as a SATA cd rom on the VM -- boot it, clone your HDD,
    shut down the VM , remove the sata CD rom and the sata controller and now boot from the relevant HDD --remove the original one.

here's the clone process of the XP virtual disks using a Fedora live iso image set as boot device from the XP VM -- doesn't matter that it's 64 bit OS. The HDD's show up as vda and vdb.

KVM has come such a long way these days and on modern kernels it runs rings around HYPER-V (on a Non server edition of a Windows Host), VBOX and VMWare too. You can also experiment by running any Linux as a VM on whatever Windows you like and then enabling KVM to try nested VM just to "have a go with it" .

It's 100% free as well - and really obsoleting things now like CITRIX and XEN.

Also you don't need poor I/O pergormance any more on Windows VM's - whether or not you pass thru a whole HDD or use "Raw Native " Virtual disks.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 23, 2021
  2. IvanFrey Win User

Windows 10 Home as KVM guest?

I currently run Windows 7 as a KVM guest on top of Linux. Will I be able to do the same for Windows 10 Home?

IvanFrey, Mar 23, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM)

Hi folks
    for those using Linux Hosts and want to try out a hypervisor (built in in typical Linux distros) where you can pass thru video / usb stuff to guests - Windows 10 runs fine -- just follow steps in this link

Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough s Blog

It certainly is a lot easier and more flexible than HYPER-V and it doesn't need Windows PRO to run - so any machine with a Linux distro -- go for it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM

Hi Voytek,

To remove the guest account from your start screen, we suggest that you try the following steps:

• Right-click Start menu, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enable guest account first by typing net user guest /active:yes, then press
      Enter.
    • Disable guest account by typing net user guest /active:no, then press
      Enter.
    • Perform a
      clean boot in Windows.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM

1. Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM - Similar Threads - Mega Optimising Disk

2. Disk I/O error on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk I/O error on startup: Recently I had an issue where my pc was slow to start up. I managed to determine that it was due to my external hard drive, as when trying to access it I got the device I/O error. I have noticed that windows starts fine if the drive isn't plugged in at startup. But here's the...
  3. Extend C drive of Windows guest VM in KVM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extend C drive of Windows guest VM in KVM: Dear Team,We are using Windows server 2019 Evaluation Trial license -180 days as a KVM based virtual machine. In this VM we are trying to expand the C drive but it's grayed out in "Disk Manager". And I went trough some of the links over internet which says that its been...
  4. Extend C drive of Windows guest VM in KVM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extend C drive of Windows guest VM in KVM: Dear Team,We are using Windows server 2019 Evaluation Trial license -180 days as a KVM based virtual machine. In this VM we are trying to expand the C drive but it's grayed out in "Disk Manager". And I went trough some of the links over internet which says that its been...
  5. Disk I/O FUBARed by update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk I/O FUBARed by update: Everything was more or less okay with my Win10 laptop for 1.5 years. Then suddenly after the .5GB cumulative update from April for my already installed 2004, these problems arose: -disk usage is almost always 100%. Transfer rate is usually low, as <50KB/s. 'System' (PID4) is...
  6. KVM Hosts with newer kernels and Sound on Windows Guests - Sound fixed

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    KVM Hosts with newer kernels and Sound on Windows Guests - Sound fixed: Hi there If you are having trouble with Sound on Windows Guests when using KVM with recent kernels then install the gst-plugins-good as libvirt changed a bit. For Arch / Manjaro : sudo pacman -S extra/gst-plugins-good (or simply sudo pacman -S gst-plugins-good) and then...
  7. window disk optimisation lopping

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    window disk optimisation lopping: can you finaly do your job to fix the disk optimisation that does nt work ??? Shame on you to push update that are complet garbage. you will paid for my dommage ssd of constant optimisation for sure . Useless compagnie...
  8. Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment: Is this normal or should I be concerned? I've tried SFC and DISM commands and everything seems good. Please see the attached image. [ATTACH]...
  9. O&o defrag not disk activity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    O&o defrag not disk activity: Had anybody run into issues with using zoning/complete, where it stop defraging. Like it stalls and no disk activity for hours. Or goes to a craw. Newest version. Ran chkdsk /f Sfc scannow Ran dism repair All came back clean I just wondering it does it because it's a...
  10. Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM): Hi folks for those using Linux Hosts and want to try out a hypervisor (built in in typical Linux distros) where you can pass thru video / usb stuff to guests - Windows 10 runs fine -- just follow steps in this link Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough s...