Windows 10: megawatts wasted - because power management sucks !!!

Discus and support megawatts wasted - because power management sucks !!! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 2020 and Windows can't even change power profile automatically, based on application detection. Who is gonna change that manually ??? Noone... While... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by empleat, Jan 6, 2020.

1. empleat Win User

megawatts wasted - because power management sucks !!!

2020 and Windows can't even change power profile automatically, based on application detection.

Who is gonna change that manually ??? Noone... While during gaming you need cpu at c0 state ideally, than after you done you want quieter fans and power saving. There are ways to do it, but it either doesn't work right, or it is obnoxious, or programs doesn't detect all power profiles and what not... Process Lasso can change it on application launch, but cannot restore it back, after app is closed, which is idiotic...

So it is not that easy, or not many people bothered to make good program, i didn't find even one decent... And who is gonna make own program to do that, not many people have knowledge, or time, or care... Literally noone is going to solve this crap... People just leave it on one setting and bye. Also i don't know if you overclocking, you can turn all power saving features off through windows. People usually disable power saving feature in bios in when overclocking.

Windows have on by default dynamic tick, but that cause mouse accelerate gamers turn that sh1t off... There should be application detection built in windows and it would be easy.

There was actually article, that claims megawatts are wasted simply, because resolution is timer forced 0.5 ms all times, by chrome in this case, applications like pc games can adjust that, even if you have dynamic tick on (that only allows it to change dynamically), but applications can still take control. There is no program, which can change that automatically based on application detection as i know. So software devs and users could adjust it. And doing it manually is annoying and sometimes it's buggy, once you set 0.5 ms, you can't go above 1ms. Because while you not doing anything, which requires performance, it should be set on 15.6ms, which is slowest. Even timer resolution 0.5ms vs 15.6ms - showed like 5w~ difference in intel power gadget.

So meanwhile earth is getting hotter and we are gonna die probably, but whatever... Most people don't care i think, because you can't do much, so they are complacent... Conservatives and goverment didn't even belive it recently, or still don't. And fossil fuel companies lobbying in america, so they can get even more rich, which is pointless... And make nothing matter, because lobbying is legal in america go figure...

It would be really simple to implement it by corporation like microsoft, but they don't care, they care only about money and after they die, they don't care what will become of the world... It is kinda mind boggling, how long it could take microsoft to do that, like 1 hour ? It is not that difficult. It is that simple, just make application detection and let user make priorities, what takes priority and set user values and yet for software devs, so by default it can set value it needs to work properly, but let user override it with warning e.g..

I know computers are getting much more efficient in terms of power consumption, but hardware prices were kinda inflated, because of memory cost and prices got much higher, of gpu e.g. And still a lot of people use ancient hardware !!! OR !!! - hahaha, hardware manufacturers like nvidia, recommends 650w psu, for geforce 2070, which is fine with 550w psu and there are calculators, so people buy more expensive psu and electricity companies and psu companies make more money, which is kinda disgusting, but it is whatever... And don't even get me started on intel...

:)

empleat, Jan 6, 2020

2. power management

Hi,

Thank you posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to remove all the external devices connected to the system, restart and check if the issue persists or not.

If issue still persists, try to run the troubleshooter and check if that helps:

Step 2: Run the Power Troubleshooter

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the
      Search bar on the desktop and press “Enter”.

• In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

• Click on “Power”.

• Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Platform Power Management Capabilitiesmegawatts wasted - because power management sucks !!! :pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern with the battery report. Active State Power Management or ASPM is a power management protocol used to manage PCI Express-based serial link devices as links become less active over time. It is normally used on laptops and
    other mobile Internet devices to extend battery life.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the make and model of the PC?
    • Are there any devices connected to the computer?

Please respond to the private message with the required information for further investigation. However, we would suggest you to perform these steps.

Change the advanced power plan settings.

1. Right click at Windows Start menu icon and select Control Panel.
    2. Set the View by to: Small icons.
    3. Click on Power Option, then click on Change plan setting.
    4. Select Changeadvanced power settings.
    5. Scroll down and expand PCI Express and
      Link State Power Management
    6. Change the option for both On battery
      and Plugged in to Maximum power savings.
    7. Then click Ok.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

1. megawatts wasted - because power management sucks !!! - Similar Threads - megawatts wasted power

2. Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld: Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld. I own other keys I can find no way to recover online. How many times do I have to pay $100 for a Professional Upgrade that never lasts past the next upgrade?...
  3. Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld: Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld. I own other keys I can find no way to recover online. How many times do I have to pay $100 for a Professional Upgrade that never lasts past the next upgrade?...
  4. Power Management

in Windows 10 Support
    Power Management: My power management is set to sleep/turn off display after 30 minutes of inactivity, whilst plugged in. When I watch catch up TV e.g. QuestTV on dplay.co.uk the laptop goes to sleep (black screen) after 30 minutes, whilst the programme is still running. I do not consider...
  5. i removed groove because it sucks and it keeps coming back.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i removed groove because it sucks and it keeps coming back.: how do i remove it forever? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-removed-groove-because-it-sucks-and-it-keeps/48fb3053-fadc-4c85-924c-90327dd410d2
  6. Power Management

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Management: I have migrated from a company-managed PC to my own now HP Omen - is it possible to close the lid without shutting down the machine? I'd like to continue to use it with wireless keyboard, mouse, and external screen. Is it even a good idea to do this?...
  7. Waste of time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Waste of time: How, since the recent automatic upgrade of Windows 10, can I disable tapping or other unpredictable Synaptics SMBus touchpad functions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waste-of-time/a2bfd913-5be1-4aa5-abe6-7af47fe7d7d8
  8. Power management

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power management: There is a power regulator which has three modes. It disappeared and now I can't find any other way to fix it. How can I restore the power management to get back the power regulator...
  9. Windows Power Manager or Manufacturer Power Manager ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Power Manager or Manufacturer Power Manager ?: I got to realize windows implemented its own battery power manager , it is set on "Best Performance" while I already have a manufacturer battery power manager that is installed but two years old (Early 2016) that reports being up to date set on "Balance Mode" , now i am...
  10. Power management?

in Windows 10 Support
    Power management?: When I change the power management to never turn the screen off on my desktop the setting is back to 15 minutes when the Pc is restarted. On my laptop I don't have this problem and I can't find a setting in the BIOS which can be the cause? I use build 10586.11 64 bit....