Windows 10: Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

Discus and support Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My computer is a fairly decent one, built for gaming and higher speed quality. I have been having performance issues that seem to get worse with time,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mishka733, Feb 26, 2022.

1. mishka733 Win User

Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

My computer is a fairly decent one, built for gaming and higher speed quality. I have been having performance issues that seem to get worse with time, and I'm not entirely sure why. For example, running games that my computer should be able to handle and used to be able to makes it very hot and loud. Sometimes it crashes if I play with higher graphics. Sometimes when nothing is running my computer gets very loud and hot to touch for no reason. I have also noticed it turning on at night and doing this too, becoming very loud and hot.The best I can link this to is the memory and CPU usage, whi

:)

mishka733, Feb 26, 2022
  2. Pavan_N Win User

System and compressed memory background process persistently consuming high CPU resources

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

1. Did you make any changes to your computer prior to this issue?

2. Which anti-virus program is installed on the PC?

High CPU usage occurs for various reasons, for example: virus/malware infections, out-of-date drivers, anti-virus programs or other third-party programs, etc;

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System
    Maintenance.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter

Method 2: Check if the issue resolves in
    Safe Mode.

Refer this article to boot to safe mode:

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

Steps to reduce the CPU usage.

1-Press "Ctrl," "Shift," and "Esc" on your keyboard. This brings up the task manager without any intermediary screen.

2-Click the "Processes" button on the task manager.

3-Click the "CPU" column header until the arrow next to the label points down.

4-Right-click a program you recognize that uses a high percentage of the CPU and click "End Process." Click "End Process" to reconfirm. This eases up on the CPU's load. Use this step if you're not using a process or if the process has stopped responding. Do
    not use this procedure for windows processes.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks.

Pavan_N, Feb 26, 2022
  3. System Idle Process High CPU Usage

The system idle process tells you for how much of the time the CPU is twiddling its thumbs. The higher the figure, the better! A totally idle CPU would show 100% for the system idle process.

Frederik Long, Feb 26, 2022
  4. Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

System Idle Process CPU Allocation?

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help.

System Idle Process, as the name suggests is a process that indicates CPU is idle and is not being used, aka is at rest. This is done to totalize CPU usage to 100 between the processes.

So you do not have to worry about anything.

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 26, 2022
Thema:

Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

1. Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes - Similar Threads - Memory CPU are

2. Ram and cpu values of total usage significantly higher than the total from all users in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ram and cpu values of total usage significantly higher than the total from all users in...: I have a Windows 11, Intel i7 - 1360P with dual-booted Ubuntu. When I am using Windows I see that my total RAM usage is more than 80 percent when I check that the total usage among all users is only 4GB of 16GB in task manager and the total CPU usage is also 2 times the total...
  3. Ram and cpu values of total usage significantly higher than the total from all users in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ram and cpu values of total usage significantly higher than the total from all users in...: I have a Windows 11, Intel i7 - 1360P with dual-booted Ubuntu. When I am using Windows I see that my total RAM usage is more than 80 percent when I check that the total usage among all users is only 4GB of 16GB in task manager and the total CPU usage is also 2 times the total...
  4. Task Manager - Performance memory usage higher than Processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager - Performance memory usage higher than Processes: So I've just installed Windows 11 on my new laptop, and have been installing all the drivers and programs I need. When going to the task manager, I noticed that my memory usage in the Performance tab of Task Manager is aroud 6 gb, but in the Processes tab, it only adds up to...
  5. Task Manager - Performance memory usage higher than Processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager - Performance memory usage higher than Processes: So I've just installed Windows 11 on my new laptop, and have been installing all the drivers and programs I need. When going to the task manager, I noticed that my memory usage in the Performance tab of Task Manager is aroud 6 gb, but in the Processes tab, it only adds up to...
  6. Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes: My computer is a fairly decent one, built for gaming and higher speed quality. I have been having performance issues that seem to get worse with time, and I'm not entirely sure why. For example, running games that my computer should be able to handle and used to be able to...
  7. Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes: My computer is a fairly decent one, built for gaming and higher speed quality. I have been having performance issues that seem to get worse with time, and I'm not entirely sure why. For example, running games that my computer should be able to handle and used to be able to...
  8. Dwm higher than 3gb memory usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dwm higher than 3gb memory usage.: So I recently noticed that dwm started to use way more memory than it needs and I couldn't find a solution so far from what I've seen. submitted by /u/chuckdankst [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lwewhv/dwm_higher_than_3gb_memory_usage/
  9. RAM memory idling higher than normal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RAM memory idling higher than normal: So I let my dad use my laptop for work over the weekend. He left open maybe 30 tabs between word, pdf, and chrome; some downloads too. I noticed my RAM memory is now idling at 30%. I read that this is due to cached data? How can I remedy this? submitted by /u/Yintwin...
  10. Task Manager showing higher CPU than sum of all processes- malware?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Task Manager showing higher CPU than sum of all processes- malware?: My computer’s task manager has always shown a higher cpu than the sum of all the processes being used. It’s been like this for a long time and I thought it was normal, but after norton blocked a coinminer from a website that used adobe flash I began to think that I have...