Windows 10: Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it?

Discus and support Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I'm currently doing some maintenence on a friends laptop. I've upgraded the RAM and am also going to put an SSD in there which should dramatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by alexncfc, Mar 28, 2021.

1. alexncfc Win User

Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it?

Hi,

I'm currently doing some maintenence on a friends laptop. I've upgraded the RAM and am also going to put an SSD in there which should dramatically improve performance. (It's only a Celeron!)

Thing is I've noticed that in Task Manager under the Performance tab and Memory, it always says "0MB" compressed. I've never seen it say this on Windows 10 before.

Is this likely disabled by Windows due to the processor limitations, or has it been disabled some way accidentally?

Also if possible to enable it, would you recommend doing so? I've boosted the RAM from 6GB to 12 but wondering if it will improve performance if it stops disk activity with paging. I know in theory it should be doing this less with double the RAM but I just don't know if the compressed memory seemingly being off is causing any slowdowns.

Thanks

Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it? [​IMG]

:)

alexncfc, Mar 28, 2021
  2. SerhiyIA Win User

'System and compressed memory' on ASUS G75VY notebook load CPU always on 16%

thank you for your reply!

here what I did:

1. disabled non-microsoft services, disabled all applications in startup list

result: after restart "system and compressed memory" still gain 17% CPU

2. ran PC into safe mode ( just to see what happens )

result: CPU load is 0% for "system and compressed memory"

3. ran PC in normal mode

result: CPU load is 0% for "system and compressed memory"

as we can see from step 1, the problem probably is not in applications ?

what would you suggest in this case ?

looking forward for your answer

SerhiyIA, Mar 28, 2021
  3. Ramhound Win User
    How to enable memory compression Windows 10

Memory compression is enabled by default. However, it appears for whatever reason, you currently have it disabled. Within a Administrator PowerShell command prompt type the following command to disable memory compression

Disable-MMAgent -MemoryCompression

Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it? Rk56V.png

Within a Administrator PowerShell command prompt type the following command to enable memory compression

Enable-MMAgent -MemoryCompression

Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it? sTgOl.png

Sources:

Ramhound, Mar 28, 2021
  4. Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it?

Is it ok if I disable Windows 10 memory compression?

If I enable memory compression (via the mmagent cmdlet in powershell) I get this "error" in process explorer about a process called "memory compression" and the path reads "[a device attached to the system is not functioning.]":

Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it? 2897510.jpg

When I try to access any kind of information on it via properties settings, which there is none, it says "Access Is Denied" the only info I can see is threads tab that shows "ntoskrnlGetCompressionWorkspace" error.

Anyways, if I disable memory compression via the mmagent cmdlet in powershell, I no longer get the "error" in process explorer! The image below shows that memory compression is disabled with its "False" value:

Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it? 2897511.jpg

But the other features having "True" values show that superfetch/prefetch is currently enabled. Normally superfetch enables memory compression by default when superfetch is on, until I manually disabled memory compression.

Suppose Superfetch (and memory compression) was enabled before then I disabled the Superfetch service in Service Manager, well this is what the mmagent cmdlet in Powershell looks like.

Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it? 2897512.jpg

With Superfetch disabled, it also disables memory compression.

Currently, I have enabled Superfetch but since I manually disabled memory compression it stayed disabled. Otherwise, memory compression would have been automatically enabled alongside the Superfetch features. I am having no issues other than that annoying "error" description in process explorer. My pagefile size is managed by windows if this matters at all.

Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it? 2897511.jpg

Stealth3si, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it?

1. Memory compression seems to be disabled - should I enable it? - Similar Threads - Memory compression seems

2. memory compression

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  3. memory compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    memory compression: memory compression1memory compression2 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%83%BD%E5%90%A6%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D%E4%B8%80/00b611dd-4262-41f5-b82e-1daaf905ddbc
  4. memory compression

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Should I disable memory compression on HDD for FPS Stability?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I disable memory compression on HDD for FPS Stability?: So, Im a simple man, I got a PC to play games, but I cant play properly because I have stutters all the time for example in GTA, when im driving fast thorugh the city my framerates drop, and frametimes spike like ****. I was thinking the problem relied on my RAM, because it...
  6. Should I disable memory compression on HDD for FPS Stability?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I disable memory compression on HDD for FPS Stability?: So, Im a simple man, I got a PC to play games, but I cant play properly because I have stutters all the time for example in GTA, when im driving fast thorugh the city my framerates drop, and frametimes spike like ****. I was thinking the problem relied on my RAM, because it...
  7. Should I disable memory compression on HDD for FPS Stability?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Should I Disable or Enable 8dot3name?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I Disable or Enable 8dot3name?: Should I disable or enable 8dot3name? Crucial Storage Executive displayed a warning message in the application saying it should be disabled. Windows 10 Version 1909 154381
  9. Is it ok if I disable Windows 10 memory compression?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it ok if I disable Windows 10 memory compression?: If I enable memory compression (via the mmagent cmdlet in powershell) I get this "error" in process explorer about a process called "memory compression" and the path reads "[a device attached to the system is not functioning.]": [img] When I try to access any kind of...
  10. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows Windows supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. While NTFS file system compression can save disk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Disable-MMAgent mc error

2. Disable-MMAgent apl

3. 0mb compressed ram