Windows 10: Memory in use- 12gb, why am I losing so much ram to nothing?

Discus and support Memory in use- 12gb, why am I losing so much ram to nothing? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have 64GB of ram, but windows seems to insist on eating up a percentage of it regardless of how much I have. I remember having 32gb and it being way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/astrokeofmadness, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Memory in use- 12gb, why am I losing so much ram to nothing?

I have 64GB of ram, but windows seems to insist on eating up a percentage of it regardless of how much I have. I remember having 32gb and it being way lower, so it almost seems like a percentage is taken no matter what. And yes you might be yelling- Why do you need so much ram!! Well I use photoshop ion high resolutions with many layers, and have on many occasions used more than 32gb of ram, so I got annoyed with the limitations and upgraded.

For reference in the processes tab, I have Firefox eating 4gb, but that is basically it, there are 4 files above 100mb, and the rest are all tiny. With firefox closed I am using 7.8GB of ram. I can count a little over 1GB of ram actually used in the processes tab.

This is what my task manager looks like

https://imgur.com/3XRMlBL

submitted by /u/astrokeofmadness
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/astrokeofmadness, Dec 9, 2019

2. Upgrading RAM to 12GB or 16GB?

Hi,

That depends on the type of and the demand of the tasks that you plan on performing on the device. For example, I am currently running 12 GB of RAM on my desktop which is more than sufficient for Win 10 Pro performance however, I often my have 20 to 40 or
    more tabs open on 2 different browsers from time to time and also do frequent image and video manipulation and rendering all of which can be quite RAM hungry (pushing up to 75% plus used at times even with 12GB of virtual memory allocated). My system board
    will accept a max of 24GB of physical memory and I plan on doing it in the future (that's 4GB x 6 modules on this device, so, I'm saving up).

Now, that being said, my recommendation to you being that you are already committed to upgrading the amount of RAM on the device and being that you are trying to decide if you should just buy the 12GB or spend a little more on 16GB instead, and you plan
    on keeping the device (and keeping it going and also viable for the foreseeable future) then 16GB would be the way to go, or, 12GB would suffice in its stead.

Food for thought?

Good Luck going forward,

-Richard

RichardEiler, Dec 9, 2019
  3. ronkolda Win User
    Upgrading RAM to 12GB or 16GB?

Hi everyone:

I have this machine:

Intel DB75EN...........it has 8GB of DDR3 RAM..... it's an older i5-2400 at 3ghz.

I acidentally (nice) discovered there's still a chance to improve RAM...I can't buy or afford a newer PC.

Amazon has Crucial DDR3 and they fit my machine in the specs checker they have.

I recently added an Crucial SSD and have Windows 10 installed there. It boots better and folders open faster than the HDD.

However, apps aren't faster at all. Just Windows.

The machine has 2 sticks of 4GB installed which make the 8GB. Going from 8GB to 12GB........will it make a difference?

Or it's better to go to 16GB?.

If I could I would to go to 32GB.......the machine specs says it supports up to 32GB RAM (however I can't afford it), since they're DDR3, they are older and are NOT cheap. I can only afford up to 16GB.

Should I make the effort to get 16GB or will 12GB be good?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

ronkolda, Dec 9, 2019
  4. Memory in use- 12gb, why am I losing so much ram to nothing?

Is 12gb of ram too much?

I wish memory prices would drop, so I could upgrade from 12GB to 24GB. lol

You can either spend the money on fast 6 GB or go value 12 GB.

Windows runs ideally with about 18 GB apparently (for caching etc). But yah, most people don't need 12. My ram usage is listed at 15-18% most of the time.

SummerDays, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Memory in use- 12gb, why am I losing so much ram to nothing?

1. Memory in use- 12gb, why am I losing so much ram to nothing? - Similar Threads - Memory 12gb why

2. Why am I using so much memory while doing nothing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I using so much memory while doing nothing?: I've noticed recently that I'm using way more memory than normal while just having my browser open! With Firefox open it says its using about 90% of memory, and when I close the browser to have nothing open it goes down to only 82%. I have 8 Gigs of memory and it says its...
  3. Why am I using so much memory while doing nothing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I using so much memory while doing nothing?: I've noticed recently that I'm using way more memory than normal while just having my browser open! With Firefox open it says its using about 90% of memory, and when I close the browser to have nothing open it goes down to only 82%. I have 8 Gigs of memory and it says its...
  4. Search using 12GB of RAM

in Cortana
    Search using 12GB of RAM: So I restart my computer, and a few minutes later, I notice my fan speed going up and my temperatures rising, So my first instinct is to open task manager and I see "search" no process name there just "Search" using a concerningly high amount of CPU and it started at about...
  5. Search using 12GB of RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search using 12GB of RAM: So I restart my computer, and a few minutes later, I notice my fan speed going up and my temperatures rising, So my first instinct is to open task manager and I see "search" no process name there just "Search" using a concerningly high amount of CPU and it started at about...
  6. Why is YouTube using so much RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is YouTube using so much RAM?: I am watching videos right now. I have my task manager up and once I use the search page, my memory usage shoots up at least ten percent if not more. Apparently nobody else is having this problem since I asked this question multiple times before in the YouTube sub with no...
  7. Apps uses so much RAM

Apps uses so much RAM: Before i run "Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool", all of the processes use 50% of a 4gb RAM, but after running the "Memory Diagnostic Tool" chrome uses so much ram more than before, and also i think that other apps slightly increased their RAM usage. anybody can help me with...
  8. Why Windows processes are using so much RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why Windows processes are using so much RAM: My laptop has 16 GB of 3200 ddr4 RAM, but after letting it idle for about an hour the RAM usage goes straight up to 99% with only edge open. I checked my system and everything is up to date and the Task manager is saying I have 15.4 GB of available RAM. Is there anything that...
  9. Memory uses too much RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory uses too much RAM?: Howdy, I still have the problem that my memory is used 85% of the time even though I don't have anything on. I was using Process Explorer and lo and behold, my system and the registry are using way too much RAM! How can I eliminate this problem? With kind regards...
  10. Why is my pc using so much memory?

Why is my pc using so much memory?: The memory usage My pc is using too much memory and I don't know how I could make it stop from using so much, I've tried 2 methods and both worked but only for a few days. Now im asking reddit for help because I've heard there are some really pc smart people here. I...