Windows 10: Memory Leak in svchost Lanman Service

Discus and support Memory Leak in svchost Lanman Service in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am facing a very annoying issue in Win 10 pro maybe related to last update couple of weeks back. After using the machine for some time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Joby_John, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Joby_John Win User

Memory Leak in svchost Lanman Service

Hello,

I am facing a very annoying issue in Win 10 pro maybe related to last update couple of weeks back. After using the machine for some time sometimes mins sometimes over an hour the memory usage keeps growing and eventually takes up the whole 12 GB Ram in my machine.

On checking task manager details, I can see that svchost.exe process is the one using up >90% of the resource. And when I right click on that and go to services, it highlights the service called LanmanServer.

The system goes back to normal if I kill the service but automatically starts eating up memory again. This is really frustrating and absolutely outrageous when I am working on some other important application/browsing/gaming and the other apps stops working in middle because svchost is hogging up all the system memory.

For instance I had just killed the process and now when I check the usage has already grown over 2 GB while I'm finishing typing this.

:)

Joby_John, Aug 3, 2020

2. What does the svchost do?

Lots of Windows services are tied to the SVChost, and /or are listed as SVChost in the process list(s).

Unfortunatley with Vista, there's a lot more dependencies between the services, and thus you'll be FORCED to run more instances of SVChosts; unlike XP where things were more independent and you could disable more features resulting in less SVChost instances. That and XP and Vista are different.

Regardless of your Windows version, you can check out some service slimming guides or goto Black Viper's website and take his advice. Depending on your needs you may be able to cut down the amount of SVChost running, and save some RAM.

XP should never have an SVChost using 50mb. Vista however can.

newconroer, Aug 3, 2020
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Memory leak issue

The term "memory leak" means that an application fails to return all its RAM to the operating system when it exits. The leftover RAM is unusable to the operating system.

Step one is to identify the application that is leaking memory. Step two is to contact the application's developers and provide as much detailed data on the memory leak as you can. For example: which processes are still in RAM after the application exits
    and how much RAM they occupy. Application developers never want their applications to leak memory and they will be grateful for the details you provide, particularly if they can replicate the leak on their own computers.

BulldogXX, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Wile E Win User

RAM Died: svchost error

svchost is part of the OS, it just interacts with other aspects.

Wile E, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Memory Leak in svchost Lanman Service - Similar Threads - Memory Leak svchost

2. Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory Leak: Hello,I have 2 different values of RAM reflected in 2 tabs of the task managerbut the same percentage, I want to know why, and if I need to do something to fix it.So from the two screenshots I took you can clearly see that my real usage of memory is 4795.2 MB, but the memory...
  3. Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Memory Leak: Hello,I have 2 different values of RAM reflected in 2 tabs of the task managerbut the same percentage, I want to know why, and if I need to do something to fix it.So from the two screenshots I took you can clearly see that my real usage of memory is 4795.2 MB, but the memory...
  4. Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Memory Leak: I have noticed that even in an idle state, the task manager reports 80% or more memory usage. I have 16GB of RAM. I cannot find what is causing this memory leak. What can I do to solve this. Please help me....
  5. Memory leak?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory leak?: Hello. As the title states, my pc idles at around 2gb (mostly 1,8-1,9gb). Tried resetting, updating windows, drivers , nothing helps. What could be the issue? Edit1: Opening discord adds another 1 GB. Opening league of legends adds 2 GBs. (Game runs on very low capped on 60...
  6. Memory leak

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory leak: Since long, i don't know long... i have been having high memory usage on my computer, from version 1909 to 2004. I can't see any process with high usage on Task Manager, so I searched and searched for the solution and tried the basic solution, Disable Superfetch (SysMain),...
  7. Memory Leaks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory Leaks: Hi, After contacting the vendor of my software, I was informed that I had a memory leak and that this was the reason why my PC crashes when using the game/software. Can anyone help me on fixing this memory leak? Below are the files retrieved from me to prove there is a...
  8. is this memory leak?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    is this memory leak?: [ATTACH] Please see my paged pool and non paged pool. This is the screenshot after I restarted my laptop and directly go to the task manager to see memory. and i found this. Is this possible? And then I download media creation from Microsoft and reinstall the window but...
  9. Service Host Memory Leak Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Service Host Memory Leak Windows 10: Hi, Recently my RAM has been getting used up by the 50 or so service host processes. I can see the processes slowly increase their memory usage over time. This is my task manger soon after startup, and then 40 minutes later, without running any applications. [img] [img]...
  10. Service Host memory leak?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Service Host memory leak?: Hi, I'm new to win 10 and it is a grand adventure I have to say. Today I figured why my computer has been shutting down/lagging. The processes under Service Host (all of them) consume ungodly amount of ram, and they increase usage over time. The PC can idle and this will...