Windows 10: Memory leak with bridged adapters.

Discus and support Memory leak with bridged adapters. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I'm using OpenVPN bridged adapter on Windows 10 Pro. When pushing a file to a share on it, non paged memory grows, until all RAM is filled, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by urban, Jul 15, 2016.

1. urban Win User

Memory leak with bridged adapters.

Hello,
    I'm using OpenVPN bridged adapter on Windows 10 Pro. When pushing a file to a share on it, non paged memory grows, until all RAM is filled, and computer becomes unresponsive. If a file is smaller than available RAM, or if the transfer is canceled memory does not get released.
    It only happens if a file is "pushed" to a server, if "pulled" it works fine, also if I unbridge the adapters, everything works too.
    Does anyone know a way to fix this, providing I keep the bridge?

:)

urban, Jul 15, 2016
  2. ThHn Win User

Windows 10 memory leak

Using the latest Windows 10 Pro (Version 1511 OS Build 10586.318) I can consistently reproduce a memory leak when using a network bridge in combination with Network File and Folder Sharing.

This was discovered on a notebook using the Dutch 32-bits edition while copying many files over the network for a backup. It can be reproduced on a VirtualBox Virtual Machine using an English 64-bits edition of Windows 10.

How to reproduce using a VirtualBox VM:

- create a clean windows 10 guest VM

- ensure that the network adapter is using Network bridge and is useable on the Host computer

- share a directory on the guest and make sure you can access this share from the host to copy files to it

- create a mapped drive on the host to the shared directory on the guest

- add another network adapter in VirtualBox using Network bridge or Nat, leave the virtual cable disconnected

- create a network bridge on the guest using both network adapters

- the new adapter is a Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor, ensure the share still works

- on the host start a copy of a big directory with many files like c:\windows to the guest

- on the guest keep track of how much memory is used using Task Manager, Performance tab, Memory pane.

- keep an eye on the Paged and Non-Paged Pool values, these will slowly but steadily increase.

In my test VM, the values are:

At start: paged pool 129 MB, non-paged pool 41.1 MB.

At 20000 files, 7.4 GB copied: paged pool 161 MB, non-paged pool 125 MB.

At 30000 files, 18.1 GB copied: paged pool 173 MB, non-paged pool 236 MB.

After stopping the copy and deleting the mapped network drive the memory used for the paged and non-paged pool remain high.

If you keep copying files eventually the guest VM will start swapping memory and become unresponsive.

This problem also seems to exist on Windows 8.1. It works fine on Windows XP, I'm not sure about Windows 7.

Can someone reproduce this problem? Does an easy solution exist to fix this memory leak while keeping the functionality? Can the problem be fixed?

This question was asked previously in the Dutch forum at:

Windows 10 memory leak

3. Can't bridge two adapters

Hi,

When I try to bridge two adapters, Realtek Ethernet and TAP OpenVPN adapters, windows says it's bridging but there is no bridge adapter appears (and all my network connections are off), I need to uninstall all adapters and search for a new hardware to retrieve
    my ethernet connection works. My laptop in Windows 10 too bridges fine in similar situation.

How can I solve this problem ????

Elrond et Yoakedd, Jul 15, 2016
  4. urban Win User

Installed Windows 7, bridging works OK.

urban, Jul 17, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    It's likely a bug in OpenVPN when used on Windows 10. You should report it to them, as they create and maintain the driver.

Also, unless you're testing on the latest Insider release, it probably doesn't mean much, since networking has changed a lot since the November release.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Memory leak with bridged adapters. - Similar Threads - Memory leak bridged

2. Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory Leak: Hello,I have 2 different values of RAM reflected in 2 tabs of the task managerbut the same percentage, I want to know why, and if I need to do something to fix it.So from the two screenshots I took you can clearly see that my real usage of memory is 4795.2 MB, but the memory...
  3. Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Memory Leak: Hello,I have 2 different values of RAM reflected in 2 tabs of the task managerbut the same percentage, I want to know why, and if I need to do something to fix it.So from the two screenshots I took you can clearly see that my real usage of memory is 4795.2 MB, but the memory...
  4. Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Memory Leak: I have noticed that even in an idle state, the task manager reports 80% or more memory usage. I have 16GB of RAM. I cannot find what is causing this memory leak. What can I do to solve this. Please help me....
  5. Memory leak?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory leak?: Hello. As the title states, my pc idles at around 2gb (mostly 1,8-1,9gb). Tried resetting, updating windows, drivers , nothing helps. What could be the issue? Edit1: Opening discord adds another 1 GB. Opening league of legends adds 2 GBs. (Game runs on very low capped on 60...
  6. Memory leak

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory leak: Since long, i don't know long... i have been having high memory usage on my computer, from version 1909 to 2004. I can't see any process with high usage on Task Manager, so I searched and searched for the solution and tried the basic solution, Disable Superfetch (SysMain),...
  7. Memory Leaks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory Leaks: Hi, After contacting the vendor of my software, I was informed that I had a memory leak and that this was the reason why my PC crashes when using the game/software. Can anyone help me on fixing this memory leak? Below are the files retrieved from me to prove there is a...
  8. is this memory leak?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    is this memory leak?: [ATTACH] Please see my paged pool and non paged pool. This is the screenshot after I restarted my laptop and directly go to the task manager to see memory. and i found this. Is this possible? And then I download media creation from Microsoft and reinstall the window but...
  9. ntoskrnl memory leak

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ntoskrnl memory leak: Hey guys. I've recently been noticing a lot of memory being used by my system. Last night I restarted it and turned the monitor off. Cpu usage was right around 5% and memory was only 2.5 gb out of 8gb. This morning I woke up and cpu usage was at 20% and ram usage at 70%. I...
  10. Memory Leak mystery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Memory Leak mystery: Hi there. I'm hoping some people can help me with my mom's PC. I'm visiting her this month and she told me her desktop is running extremely slow. She doesn't do much on it except browsing the web and using the odd Microsoft Office program. I went into the task manager and...